American engines v. japenese engines

Discussion in '2002 Chevrolet Bel Air Concept' started by 67chevelle, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Alright this is only an inline 5 and it is pumpin out 315 bhp and 315 foot pounds of torque, when was the last time you saw a honda or nissan 6 cylinder pumpin out that much? stock that is

2. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

This has no bearing, as it isn't a production car or production engine. In real life, it may have no more than 200 hp, if that.

Please, let's keep the rhetoric to a bare minimum, ok?<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

if its a concept wouldnt they have the engine stats accurate, because wouldnt it be basically the same motor that they would be putting into production? i understand it would probably be tuned down a little bit or it might have a completely different motor in it but i think this is a pretty bad ass motor if it does go into production <!-- Signature -->

4. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

if its a concept wouldnt they have the engine stats accurate, because wouldnt it be basically the same motor that they would be putting into production? i understand it would probably be tuned down a little bit or it might have a completely different motor in it but i think this is a pretty bad ass motor if it does go into production <!-- Signature -->

5. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

6. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

7. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

8. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

shit sorry i didnt mean to post it all those times my comp froze on me and it kept opening the site<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

Imports ride mainly on turbos or super duper charged engine for their 'torque'

10. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

ooh no no no no...I wouldn't recommend getting into a hp/liter argument over american and japanese engines. That would most certainly go to the japanese, they got that one. Honda's S2000 engine, 240hp from only 2 liters displacement naturally aspirated. No engine has had 120hp/liter, ever, until this one.

11. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

Jap engines may have more hp/liter, but it is because they use small 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engines, and have been for many years, now all im sayin is that this is one of the first high performance American engines with few cylinders, and it is pumpin out 315hp, you gotta respect that

12. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

this is going to be a production engine... its a 4200vortec i6 with one less piston/cylinder, thats why its a 3.5L i5, theres even a 2.8L i4 version coming out based on the same 4200cc i6 engine :D the turbo versions are also coming out for the i5 and i4 versions :-D

BTW- all this jap engines/ yank engines crap is redundant. japanese engines make good HP/L because theyre smaller displacement. theres far less rotating mass, frictional resistance and increased volumetric effeciency when using lower displacement engines. simple mechanical physics. big engines work differently than small ones, simple as that, bTW, the S2000 sucks balls, it makes 153lb/ft MAX @ 8200rpm. that whopping 153lb/ft is of no use 90% of the time, neither is any portion of that 240hp max. its basically another modded civic with a half way decent engine and a body kit.

13. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

though japanese engines may have a high hp/liter ratio, theres no way even the best stock japanese car could take even half of the stock american cars. us americans win the power battle. i mean, are there even any japanese imports that are 300 hp+ stock? however, when it comes to reliability, i think the jap cars win that one. i mean you can almost literally run one of those cars into the ground without having to do major engine repairs. i have a friend who has an 89 nissan maxima that has 200000 (yes, thats 200 thousand) miles on it and it still runs great. im not saying that japanese cars are better, cuz im not. i mean, whens the last time that you saw a japanese car that had a roomy interior like a newer impala thats under 20,000? when it comes to comfort, id have to say the americans take it. a japanese car would be better if youre a single person or have a spouse and no kids, and love to drive drive drive. sorry, i went on a tangent there. but with the engines, a japanese engine and an american engine are great in their own division.

14. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

I prefer big and high-torque engines.

15. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

hmmmm
    lets see, America rules.
    American engines are basically (meaning in general) easier to drive, stronger, and have much higher torque.
    You cant compare an s2000 to an american motor, because an s2000 has almost no usable power, except when about 6000 rpms, which is ridiculous.

16. Re: American engines v. japenese engines

And about reliability...
    A stock, unmodified, normal chevy 350 can run for much longer than any jap engine i can think of.
    My friend has a 1972 C/10 with a stock chevy 350 motor, it has lasted 500,000+ miles! That is over TWICE the amount of that jap motor previously mentioned, and it is much easier, more comfortable, and more powerful for driving.