At least its faster than imports!

Discussion in '2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS 35th Anniversary' started by EmmArTooGuy, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: At least its faster than imports!

I agree with you for the most part. I get so tired of seeing all these neons and civics dreesedup like they're some bad shit but I don't think its fair to bash all foreign cars. Civics do what they are designed to do: sip gas. But there are fast imports too.

Acura NSX
    Aston Martin DB7 Vantage
    Bugatti EB series
    Ferarri (most models)
    Jaguar XJR, XJ220
    Lamborghini (most models)
    Lotus (most models)
    Mazda RX7 (sequential turbo model)
    Mercedes-Benz AMG series
    Mitsubishi 3000GT, Lancer Evolution
    Nissan R34 GT-R
    Porsche (most models)
    Toyota Supra BiTurbo
    TVR (most models

They aren't all slow.

2. Re: At least its faster than imports!

#%$

3. Re: At least its faster than imports!

im with ya all the way redneck327 i hate jap pos<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: At least its faster than imports!

Can any one tell me what kind of rear suspension is under the SS, other than high performance or whatever chevy tells everyone?

5. Re: At least its faster than imports!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from EmmArTooGuy</i>
    <b>I agree with you for the most part. I get so tired of seeing all these neons and civics dreesedup like they're some bad shit but I don't think its fair to bash all foreign cars. Civics do what they are designed to do: sip gas. But there are fast imports too.

Acura NSX
    Aston Martin DB7 Vantage
    Bugatti EB series
    Ferarri (most models)
    Jaguar XJR, XJ220
    Lotus (most models)
    Mercedes-Benz AMG series
    Nissan R34 GT-R
    Porsche (most models)
    Toyota Supra BiTurbo
    TVR (most models

They aren't all slow.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

It is faster than
    Ferrari (some models)
    Porsche (models up to and including the Carrera)
    3000 GT VR4
    RX7 TT
    Skyline R34 GT-R
    Supra TT
    Lotus (some models)
    Jaguar (most models)
    NSX

Oh well it is QUITE fast for what you pay. You don't have to like them, but don't be suprised if you get beat by one.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: At least its faster than imports!

SS 1/4 mile: 13.8

not faster than
    Ferrari: F50 (12.1), F355 (13.3), 333 SP (11.3), 456 GT (13.4), 550 Maranello (13.1), 360 Modena (12.9)
    Porsche: 911 Turbo (12.4), 911 Carrera (13.5), Carrera Cabriolet (13.4), 911 GT2 (11.9)
    RX7 TT (13.5)
    Skyline R34 GT-R (13.7)
    Supra TT (13.7)
    Lotus Esprit (13.0)
    Jaguar XJR (13.7)
    NSX (13.3)

Thats just 1/4 mile. All of those cars handle better than the SS (60 mph slalom). And the SS doesn't do to well on road couses either. Go watch an SCCA race live and in person.

You lose again! Look around before you open your mouth. This is a nice car but you shouldn't bash other cars trying to make it better than it is.

7. Re: At least its faster than imports!

hell yes...i dont if its just me....but when you fire up your car...and you hear the rumpity rump of they big 8 cylinder engine...u get that feelin inside ya..that you know its a badass car...and you pull up to a stop light and some little punk ass ***** pulls up beside you in his "hot rodded" honda mother #$%#in civic....and racks his "pipe" at ya...and you just kinda think to your self..what in the #$%# is that space ship...i guess its gonna fly away with all those wings and shit....then that big light in the sky turns green..and you mash on the loud pedal...rubber goes flyin...smokes everywhere..and you look to the side where the civic was..and theres nothin..cause the piece of shit still sittin there at the light cause you've burned the shit out of him!

8. Re: At least its faster than imports!

Please go through so i can be in the house

9. #9 rthompson, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  10. Re: At least its faster than imports!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rthompson</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from EmmArTooGuy</i>
    <b>I agree with you for the most part. I get so tired of seeing all these neons and civics dreesedup like they're some bad shit but I don't think its fair to bash all foreign cars. Civics do what they are designed to do: sip gas. But there are fast imports too.

Acura NSX
    Aston Martin DB7 Vantage
    Bugatti EB series
    Ferarri (most models)
    Jaguar XJR, XJ220
    Lotus (most models)
    Mercedes-Benz AMG series
    Nissan R34 GT-R
    Porsche (most models)
    Toyota Supra BiTurbo
    TVR (most models

They aren't all slow.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

It is faster than
    Ferrari (some models)
    Porsche (models up to and including the Carrera)
    3000 GT VR4
    RX7 TT
    Skyline R34 GT-R
    Supra TT
    Lotus (some models)
    Jaguar (most models)
    NSX

Oh well it is QUITE fast for what you pay. You don't have to like them, but don't be suprised if you get beat by one.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->thats right shut him up.

don't forget thats 300k vs 38k

11. Re: At least its faster than imports!

I'm extremely reluctant to trust Popular Mechanics drivers and from the sound of the article they were kind of bias. Further, I've never heard of anybody pulling 13.6 out of an SVT Lightning. Think about it: It has 15 more hp than a C5 Vette, 1000 lbs more fat, poorer weight distribution and it runs about the same time that other drivers are getting with the C5 and SS? Uhh, riiiight.

These are the times Motor Trend got out of one.
    Acceleration, sec
    0-30 mph 2.1
    0-40 mph 2.9
    0-50 mph 4.2
    0-60 mph 5.6
    0-70 mph 7.2
    0-80 mph 9.3
    0-90 mph 12.1
    Standing quarter mile, sec/mph 14.1/96.5
    Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 131

This website lists 13.9 as the 1/4 time for the truck and that is about as fast as you can believe given the power:weight:torque ratio.

Get a magazine like Road & Track, Motor Trend, or Car and Driver. They are the largest car review magazines because they are unbias and give the strenths and weakness of all the cars they test. Or better still get from in front of your computer and go watch/do some racing for yourself.

12. Re: At least its faster than imports!

i would say that a Ram Air or a Cobra looks and goes alot better then the 2002 SS. i really don't like it at all. and i would rather have a import car that can spank a SS, then have a get made fun of it. I would hate to even drive a SS. because of fact. You people that don't like imports. Just wish ya'll could keep up with us.

13. Re: At least its faster than imports!

Hey stylen stang, you're an idiot. And by the way, in my SS I'll be lookin better, going faster, roaring louder, and by the way, I'll be doing all those with chicks in the car. Let's see your little import #%$mobile do any of those. Me and my chicks laugh at your ugly, high-pitched, high-revving, low-speed, low performance, piece of Jap crap. Buy a car instead of a shopvac next time and remember, There's no replacement for displacement and a modified sh*tmobile is still a piece of sh*t.

You blow goats.<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: At least its faster than imports!

faster than imports?
    which ones?
    <!-- Signature -->

15. Re: At least its faster than imports!

He just got a big head after he "raced" a 1st generation CRX.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: At least its faster than imports!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Type R</i>
    <b>faster than imports?
    which ones?
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

take for instance your name

the type r is in the raltive cost of a camaro.
    now if you think that in a straight line a type r could spank a v8 camaro i think you are a little confused.
    and in any case $2000 more invested in a camaro will get you the equivalent performance of about $10000 in a type.

Granted the japs can handle but you want speed and stright line power americans have the product

fast and cheap.

17. Re: At least its faster than imports!

well i would have to say you are gay. cause of the fact most girls would have rather been in a Ram-Air or a Mustang Cobra. Girls go more for those rather than your SS.

18. Re: At least its faster than imports!

You a really dumb #%$. man you must have a SS or something a don't know really anything about import cars, how they kick SS a$$ all the time do you.

19. Re: At least its faster than imports!

Thanks for defending imports but I've never had to fall back on my car as a means for getting girls.

jk<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: At least its faster than imports!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from EmmArTooGuy</i>
    <b>SS 1/4 mile: 13.8

not faster than
    Ferrari: F50 (12.1), F355 (13.3), 333 SP (11.3), 456 GT (13.4), 550 Maranello (13.1), 360 Modena (12.9)
    Porsche: 911 Turbo (12.4), 911 Carrera (13.5), Carrera Cabriolet (13.4), 911 GT2 (11.9)
    RX7 TT (13.5)
    Skyline R34 GT-R (13.7)
    Supra TT (13.7)
    Lotus Esprit (13.0)
    Jaguar XJR (13.7)
    NSX (13.3)

Thats just 1/4 mile. All of those cars handle better than the SS (60 mph slalom). And the SS doesn't do to well on road couses either. Go watch an SCCA race live and in person.

You lose again! Look around before you open your mouth. This is a nice car but you shouldn't bash other cars trying to make it better than it is.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Hey genius your forgot to mention that these cars cost 3+ times as much. Its a little fact that helps when comparing.

21. #21 EmmArTooGuy, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: At least its faster than imports!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camarofan</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from EmmArTooGuy</i>
    <b>SS 1/4 mile: 13.8

not faster than
    RX7 TT (13.5)
    Skyline R34 GT-R (13.7)
    Supra TT (13.7)
    Lotus Esprit (13.0)
    Jaguar XJR (13.7)
    NSX (13.3)

You lose again! Look around before you open your mouth. This is a nice car but you shouldn't bash other cars trying to make it better than it is.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Hey genius your forgot to mention that these cars cost 3+ times as much. Its a little fact that helps when comparing.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Being cheap doesn't make the car any better. Instead of complaining about the price why don't you bust your butt and make more money or get a better job?

And for anybody that wants to bash 4 bangers look at the Caterham R500. 0-60 in 3.6 STOCK on a 1.8 liter!

http://www.caterham.co.uk/showroom/new/seven/superlight/r500.htm <!-- Signature -->

22. Re: At least its faster than imports!

Being more expensive doesn't make the car better, either. But, wouldn't you expect when you pay something that costs 3 times as much as a Camaro, that it would perform better?

And of course a Caterham will be better at track and acceleration! It's hardly even a car, it's just a frame with some body panels and a quick little four cylinder. It's even more impractical than an exotic! At least with those you can drive in the rain, and have some shielding from the elements. It'd probably be better to be in one when you are on the road, too... With all the idiots that drive their gigantic SUVs... Chances are you'd get flattened driving a Caterham.

23. Re: At least its faster than imports!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from stlyenstang</i>
    <b>well i would have to say you are gay. cause of the fact most girls would have rather been in a Ram-Air or a Mustang Cobra. Girls go more for those rather than your SS.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    The Camaro SS does infact have Ram-Air

24. Re: At least its faster than imports!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BP</i>
    <b>It's hardly even a car, it's just a frame with some body panels and a quick little four cylinder. It's even more impractical than an exotic! At least with those you can drive in the rain, and have some shielding from the elements. It'd probably be better to be in one when you are on the road, too... With all the idiots that drive their gigantic SUVs... Chances are you'd get flattened driving a Caterham.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I didn't get any such comlaints from the owners I contacted. There is a removable soft top as well. Also creature comforts are available and how much could an extra 50 lbs hurt the performance. As far as survivng an accident goes...With the agility that comes with the Super 7 you could avoid many accidents that you couldn't avoid in a larger car. I've got out of more than a dozen accidents all because of braking and handling characteristics of my car.<!-- Signature -->

25. Re: At least its faster than imports!

<b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BP</i>
    <b>It's hardly even a car, it's just a frame with some body panels and a quick little four cylinder. It's even more impractical than an exotic! At least with those you can drive in the rain, and have some shielding from the elements. It'd probably be better to be in one when you are on the road, too... With all the idiots that drive their gigantic SUVs... Chances are you'd get flattened driving a Caterham.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I didn't get any such comlaints from the owners I contacted. There is a removable soft top as well. Also creature comforts are available and how much could an extra 50 lbs hurt the performance. As far as survivng an accident goes...With the agility that comes with the Super 7 you could avoid many accidents that you couldn't avoid in a larger car. I've got out of more than a dozen accidents all because of braking and handling characteristics of my car.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

If you avoid an accident, it isn't an accident. And some you can't avoid no matter what you do.