Audi or Bentley?

Discussion in '2002 Audi R8' started by turbo power, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Audi or Bentley?

Just catching all of you up the bentley effort was cut. The new president of vw didnt think that it was not a good idea to have to vw cars competing against each other and wasting money. (Thought i was the only one that thought that it wasnt a good plan.)
    And the bentley was based on the r8c i think that i saw an article in road and track about it awhile back. If anyone else read it please confirm this.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Audi or Bentley?

the 24H of Daytona or Spa or whatever are nothing compare to LM.
    The teams use them to prepare THE race , the legendary 24H Le Mans.

3. Re: Audi or Bentley?

audi 4 me...<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Audi or Bentley?

Hmmm Bentley is part of Audi AG, yep, I'm pretty sure Audi will allow Bentley to beat them and make themselves look bad . . . . . . . Ha!<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Audi or Bentley?

Audi will win again...unless bentley can pull some sort of trick out of its @$$<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Audi or Bentley?

a perfect example are the NACA ducts on the F40's bonnet.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Audi or Bentley?

oh ok...i see what you mean
    but what about scratches on the windshield or a broken windshield wiper? do they do what the nascar people do?<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Audi or Bentley?

(lm is faster)<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Audi or Bentley?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Falcon1898</i>
    <b>yeah, although closed cars are better than open ones in terms of aerodynamics, they have draw-backs too. the windshield may fog up, or it may get scratched..reducing visibility. and you know that none of the teams can afford to install an A/C or defogger of some sort, because they can't afford to sacrifice the engine's power output.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The use the air intake on the roof to cool down the cockpit , they can do it , thanks to the restrictors on the admission , that allows to derivate a little bit of the cold air.

10. Re: Audi or Bentley?

yeah, although closed cars are better than open ones in terms of aerodynamics, they have draw-backs too. the windshield may fog up, or it may get scratched..reducing visibility. and you know that none of the teams can afford to install an A/C or defogger of some sort, because they can't afford to sacrifice the engine's power output.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Audi or Bentley?

LM GTP = closed cars
    LM P900 = opened cars.

There are a very few differences between the 2 categories , and closed cars are the best solution at LM.

12. Re: Audi or Bentley?

i think audi is going to win it again.
    bentley is actually in a different class, the LMGTP which is one level lower than audi's class (LMP900). however, bentley is still VERY strong. they got 3rd overall last year, after not racing for 71 years! so, i would say bentley has a very good chance being 2nd overall, but they would have a tough time matching up agains audi.

p.s. do you think bentley would have done better last year if they weren't penalized for a 5min stop for speeding in the pit lane?!?<!-- Signature -->

13. Audi's just gonna keep winning Le Mans. What else can be said? No one can touch 'em. Bentley could come close but it's most likely gonna be Audi all the way.

14. Re: Audi or Bentley?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Jetkillr</i>
    <b>
    Ummmm, this is to the guy that commented on the wins at Lemans and the Rolex 24 by GT cars or whatever. First of all the only reason that the Vettes and other GTS cars win at the Rolex 24 is because it is not as big an event as the 24 hours of LeMans and also the Prototype class cars are a different caliber. But mostly the Prototype class cars run faster or even with the GTS class. At LeMans the LMP class dominates the top spots. Now (please correct me if im wrong) i believe that the wins by the McLaren F1 were only class wins and not overall wins. The F1's would have been in the GTS class. Well now im off topic by a lot. Anyways i think that the Bently has extreme potential, and they are the main contenders for the #1 spot. I was going for Panoz but as i noticed the FR drive-train does not seem capable of winning. And i pray for the day Audi goes down!. Go Bentley!!! Go Panoz!!!!and why not? Go Corvette and Saleen!!I am also looking forwarto good performances by Ferrari! </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You are really screwed, because the 24 of daytona has been a great race for a long time and because SRP cars break down really easily, and you can race the GT1 cars in the GTS class in Grand am so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to with the A'Co rules. The cars of the LM and Grand AM/ALMS are the same, what have you been smoking?

Ferrari sucks, and the Panoz's have better high speed stability. The corvette C5-R's have very good speed and braking also, so it should be interesting.

(I wish)-
    2003 911 GT1
    2003 Carrera GT1
    2003 GT1 class<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: Audi or Bentley?

bentley wasnt bentley last year, it has an engine from audi and a body/chassis from i think r&d, so what part of that car is bentley?
    this was done to boost bentley's image as a competitior while trying certain audi componets at the same time. hopefully it wont be the case this year<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: Audi or Bentley?

Panoz has won a good many ALMS races, but they have never won any of the endurance classics: 12 Hours of Sebring, 24 Hours of Daytona, and 24 Hours of Le Mans. However, the only reason they haven't won Daytona is they haven't entered the race since '98 or '99. Had they been there in 2000 and 2001 they would have most likely won since in 2000 the Oreca Vipers won and in 2001 the Vettes won... As far as Le Mans goes this year, i'm putting my money on Audi. They're just too strong to be beaten right now. Damn you Reinhold Joest, why do you have to be so brilliant!! Oh by the way, the Bentley is not based on an old Audi chassis. I assume that whoever said that was reffering to the Audi R8C closed-cockpit car from '99. They would never base another car off of that chassis since it wasn't very good; that's why they chose to stick with the LMP 900 car rather then the GTP type car. The Bentley design is brand new, but if it is based an anything it would be based on a mix of the Toyota GT-1 chassis and the lessons learned through the work on the latest iterations of the R8. The car they have now is right on the edge of being great, but i think it will improve drastically next year when the VW group drops the Audi program to focus on the Bentley.

17. Re: Audi or Bentley?

Didn't panoz win a few? Not many maybe not enough to mention but i do like the panoz entry for the LMP class it's fast its just not reliable enough at this point, however i am optimistic that over time they will become more reliable and maybe even put up a fight?

18. Re: Audi or Bentley?

Unfortunately Jekill, you seem to be mistaken about the McLaren F1, it was in the GT1 class, which was previous to the LMP, GTS, and GT classes, and it did win overall at Lemans in 1995 i believe (not sure), in its first attempt, I do not believe that you can compare the F1 to the Audi as they have different restrictions on their classes.

19. Re: Audi or Bentley?

The Bentley has the better aerodynamics for LM , even if the Audis were the fastest at the preliminary round , the Bentley may win.

20. Re: Audi or Bentley?

bentley used an audi engine last year but now that they've got their own i think either one can win

21. Re: Audi or Bentley?

i think the audi would win if either of them finish this class of car has a nasty reliability problem it is more likly that a gt class car will win like the vettes vipers or saleensthey seem to take alot of 24 hour race titles in cluding lemans and daytona<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: Audi or Bentley?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaroboy</i>
    <b>i think the audi would win if either of them finish this class of car has a nasty reliability problem it is more likly that a gt class car will win like the vettes vipers or saleensthey seem to take alot of 24 hour race titles in cluding lemans and daytona</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Audi has takin overall and class win in just about every race they have entered. Audi's only real thorn was BMW, but they pulled out off this class. The others have taken wins in LeMans and Daytona, but those were CLASS wins. only Corvette Won overall at Daytona in 2001. But i don't think they would have had Factory Audi and Factory Backed Dodge Vipers been Entered. Both teams passed on Daytona To focus on there LeMans eforts.

23. Re: Audi or Bentley?

Ummmm, this is to the guy that commented on the wins at Lemans and the Rolex 24 by GT cars or whatever. First of all the only reason that the Vettes and other GTS cars win at the Rolex 24 is because it is not as big an event as the 24 hours of LeMans and also the Prototype class cars are a different caliber. But mostly the Prototype class cars run faster or even with the GTS class. At LeMans the LMP class dominates the top spots. Now (please correct me if im wrong) i believe that the wins by the McLaren F1 were only class wins and not overall wins. The F1's would have been in the GTS class. Well now im off topic by a lot. Anyways i think that the Bently has extreme potential, and they are the main contenders for the #1 spot. I was going for Panoz but as i noticed the FR drive-train does not seem capable of winning. And i pray for the day Audi goes down!. Go Bentley!!! Go Panoz!!!!and why not? Go Corvette and Saleen!!I am also looking forwarto good performances by Ferrari!

24. Re: Audi or Bentley?

Well, Bentley won't do it because the EXP Speed 8 is based on an older Audi R8 chassis. I don't think anyone will win until Audi pulls out, sadly.

25. Re: Audi or Bentley?

this car is insanly fast ,works unbeliebly on rougher roads, and sounds great i love this car