BEER THREAD IV

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Atomic2, Mar 5, 2013.

1. It really is night and day, but I'd had it before at the brewery in Plzen and it seemed better that time. I realize that it's likely largely the experience itself.

I only had a pour from the 170l cask, but my two friends each had a pour of unfiltered PU from one of the kegs and then a pour from the second, smaller cask said even the kegged version wasn't near as good.

2. Nice. Still waiting for it to show up in Arizona, but supposed to be around this week or so. Was just in LA yesterday and was nice to see it on the shelves and think, "that will be available to me soon, yay".

3. Nice. Still waiting for it to show up in Arizona, but supposed to be around this week or so. Was just in LA yesterday and was nice to see it on the shelves and think, "that will be available to me soon, yay".

I picked up bottles of:
    FW 805 (had heard it wasn't great and I agree)
    Boulevard Tank 7 (have heard great things)
    AleSmith Decadence 2013 (don't think it made it to AZ this year)
    Stone Southern Charred (heard it's getting distribution, oh well)

4. Yep, they taste like sweet water to me. Then again, they probably sit on shelves for years before anyone buys them. Not exactly high demand items.

5. New Glarus is building what they are calling a "Wild Fruit Cave"

Looks like more sours to come. Much excite.

6. Yeah, it's pretty much done, I believe. They've had the cave portion dug for a while now. It's at the old brewery, which Dan said a while back will become a full time sour brewery, while the other hilltop brewery will pump out their non-sour stuff. Dan has been pretty focused on sours for a while now.

They also just announced that Raspberry Tart is shipping right now, Belgian Red will be back by Christmas and that Strawberry Rhubarb and Serendipity will return for some. Sounds good to me and considering how much they make of it, that pretty much means all four are year-round.

7. Okay, because I was going to say, there's a ton of variation in lagers. I know what you mean, but there's definitely huge variations in the quality of Eastern European pale lagers. They're a style of beer that really needs to be drank fresh from the source, though. So much better in a bar in Prague than from a green bottle in Chicago.

8. These are all from Rinkuškiai, the same brewery that made the Lobster Lovers beer that I tried a couple years ago. Their beer isn't great but it will get you drunk, which is probably what Lithuanians really want anyway. It's also like $3 for 500 ml and they're all in brown bottles.

I only opened the Zhiguly Grande 12. It tastes a lot like what I remember the Lobster beer tasted like. Syrupy sweet, no hop presence AT ALL, no head, light carbonation. It probably would have been better if it was REALLY cold. It is 11.9% ABV so it gets the job done and you can kind of forgive it for not tasting very good.

9. argh, theres someone who wants to trade Adam from the Wood for a PNC, should I do it? Never tried PNC...

10. That seems roughly fair, though AftW is smaller/cheaper, though arguably harder to get.

Also, I had a dream last night I found PNC on the shelf somewhere. It was a weird dream.

11. Decided not to. If it were still in 750s, Id do it, but I'm not drinking the beer anytime soon, if its going to sit on my shelf, it better sit pretty.

12. Today was a good day.
    Shitty pic, thats Dieu du Ciel Peche Mortel x2
    Perenial Abraxas x4
    Jester King Das Wanderkind x2
    Jester King Black Metal
    and Rodenbach Caractere Red

Also had Abraxas Coffee and Vanilla ton tap, delish

13. Today was a good day.
    Shitty pic, thats Dieu du Ciel Peche Mortel x2
    Perenial Abraxas x4
    Jester King Das Wanderkind x2
    Jester King Black Metal
    and Rodenbach Caractere Red

Also had Abraxas Coffee and Vanilla ton tap, delish

14. Holy shit, skeet @ that. Did yall manage to get a table at LO again?

15. No, we got there too late. Timing was a pain in the ass. Abraxas went on sale at 5pm at binnys, and tappings of the abraxas was at 6pm at LO. By the time I got through the line at binnys it was 5:30, by the time we got to LO it was 6 and the line was out the door. We almost didn't get in in time to get some, vanilla blew in front of my eyes but thankfully a BA we met on Zwanze (really tall skinny older gentleman in glasses and a baseball hat named Fred if you remember) was there and shared his with us. Ended up sitting at their table though so it all worked out great.

Also tapped was Pipeworks BA Coffee Abduction, fresh from the barrel. I loved it at first, but man does it need to cool off for a few months in the bottle. The Bourbon is overpowering by the end of the glass.

16. I've never had Abraxas, but BA Abraxas is pretty darn tasty.

17. A growler like that would be nice for the summers here, as everywhere is a 30+ minute drive for me one way and it gets so damn hot. Though, a normal glass growler with a koozie does alright.

18. What did you have to do to try that?

19. Not much. Just knew some good people. Tried it when it first came out and didn't realize it was THAT special at the time. Just showed up at a friends place and the firs thing he did was hand me an ~4oz pour of the stuff.

20. Drinking a Lagunitas Imperial Stout right now and enjoying it. Earlier today was tastes of Fate Tart Cherry Brown, Anniversary Pale Ale, Anniversary Double Pale Ale and 1055 XOXO Coffee Stout. The Pale Ales were good, but the others had quite a bit to be desired, IMO.

Just crossed 850+ unique beers with those brews, too.

Last Sunday I got together with a few buddies and cracked open some good bottles. Some new to me, some not.

SN Celebration
    Cismontane TJ Slough (great beer, a real hit with the others, too)
    Stone Bottleworks 13th (enjoyed it)
    Stone 12th Anniversary (oxidized, but still good)
    Fremont Old Bridge Rider (thanks, NB! Was a hit, too)
    Southern Tier Pumking (VERY disappointed by this)
    Midnight Sun Moscow (pretty kickass)
    New Belgium Le Terroir (really reminded me of Mamouche this time)
    New Glarus 20th (coming along nicely)

EDIT: This Lagunitas Imperial Stout kicks ass with the brownie I'm eating right now.

21. Latest Left Hand Fade to Black is pretty good, too. Still like the Pepper Porter better, but this is better than the last one. It's a bit like a little less intense Wookey Jack.

22. Had a pretty awesome score today.

Totally by accident I got an Atrial Rubicite. I had to promise the store owner I wouldnt say where I got it, (as I quote "you're not going to tweet this or do something stupid like that right?") but I will say NB and I spent the day there.
    This store owner is pretty well connected in the beer world. Jean van Roy crashes at his/her house.
    My buddy also got one, we opened up his bottle tonight along with Wild Sour (drinking great), Rodenbach Caractere red, and a blind quad tasting of Rochefort 10, Abt12, westy 12, and Brourij West Mor Mor (rated only 79)

My ratings were Rochefort, Westy, Mor Mor, and Abt 12. I picked them all wrong too, (though I only had abt 12 before of those) Surprisingly Mor Mor tasted better to all of us than Abt 12. Ratings arent everything I guess.

23. So, West Lakeview Liquors?

24. That sucks about the timing, though it sounds like it worked out fine in the end. Was the timing accidental, or just bad scheduling on Binny's/LO's end?

I recall Fred! Was he the guy doing the trade out of the back of his car for some Bo and Luke variants?

Hopefully BAC Abduction calms down before the coffee takes its leave!