Camaro SS: why is Gm stopping production?

Discussion in '2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS 35th Anniversary' started by Duggins, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Camaro SS: why is Gm stopping production?

I read something in a magazine on why sales were so low. Basically, the consumers who bought the cars were middle aged females. Surveys showed that they did not like to sit in the Camaro's low bucket seats and complained about it. They liked how Mustang got rid of the bucket style seats from the front and rear. To be honest, I have more headroom in my 87 and my friend's 97 Camaro in the back seat than I do in my friend's 95 Mustang. GM wanted to keep the sports style while Ford decided to take away some of their features to get sales. That's why I belive they downgraded the 5.0L engine to what, a 4.6? But if you wanted power, the Camaro was it. The 3800 series V6 was more powerful than the Mustang's V6. As well as the 5.7L 350 compared to the 4.6L. Only difference was pricing. You spend about 30 thousand on a SS Camaro and for about 27 you can get a SVT Cobra. The only difference was performance. And Mustang is to be blamed for the F-Body to be taken off the market. I just hope GM doesn't convert it to a FWD V6 model just like how they did to the Impala, and the Monte Carlo.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Camaro SS: why is Gm stopping production?

I will hate GM forever if they screw up the next camaro.
    Keep alive what makes us americans, muscle cars.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Camaro SS: why is Gm stopping production?

i heard ford is cutting cars to.

4. Re: Camaro SS: why is Gm stopping production?

I can hear TAPS playing for the old F-bodies.
    FAREWELL Camaro and Firebird...it's been a great run.<!-- Signature -->

5. I think it's because firebirds and camaros sold 53% less than expected.
    I blame mustangs. People only buy stangs cause they're cheaper.

6. Re: Camaro SS: why is Gm stopping production?

Camaro and Firebird total sales = 1/2 of Mustang sales.
    Too many people didn't know about the fact that every comparable Camaro would stomp the hell out of the Mustang.
    3800 faster than the 3.8 Ford
    and Z28(5.7) was a lot faster than a the Mustang GT(5.0, and later 4.6)
    And the SS just ate it as a between breakfast, and lunch snack.

I wouldn't worry too much though. Bob Lutz (the guy mostly responsable for the Viper, and Prowler) works at GM now. Hopefully they will have a revival. Or at least another sports car to replace it.
    If not, at least mine will be more collectable:D<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Camaro SS: why is Gm stopping production?

They are coming out with a new camaro it looks kinda boxy with and old fashion, i dont like but it will still take a stang. Im thinking 2005 ish.

8. Re: Camaro SS: why is Gm stopping production?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from FEF84</i>
    <b>They are coming out with a new camaro it looks kinda boxy with and old fashion, i dont like but it will still take a stang. Im thinking 2005 ish.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yes, right now you can buy it as a hot wheels car. The designers of hot wheels cars teamed up and created a vivid description of what may become the next gen camaro.<!-- Signature -->