Cigar/Humidor Question

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SpunBearings, Oct 18, 2008.

1. A friend of mine is coming back from the caribbean with a box of fresh 18-gague Cohibas for me. I would rather them not go to waste, so I would like to invest in a humidor.

I have no idea what I should look for in a humidor, and how much a decent one costs.

PLZ HALP SC.NET

2. It doesn't really matter what brand or where you order from, just make sure the inside is spanish cedar. I have a 75-100 count (I think), which is a medium-largish size for something that sits on top of your desk, and it was about $60 dollars with a shitty humidifying element and analog hygrometer. The thing to remember is that it will only keep a constant humidity well if it is AT LEAST half full all the time. So if you're just getting a box of 20 or 25 and don't intend to keep more than that around, you should get a smallish humidor.

The other thing is that the elements that come with the humidors generally suck and are too small for the bigger ones, but you might be able to get by if you go smaller. But you definitely don't want to rely on the crappy hygrometers that come along with it. buy a calliber II or III or whatever the latest model is and it'll come calibrated well and tell you temperature and humidity accurately. It also has a 5 year warranty so if you suspect it becomes inaccurate (may happen if you drop it hard) you can return it free for a new one. These cost like $15-20 USD if I remember correctly.

Also when you first get the humidor you will need to go through the lengthy process of getting the wood nice and moist. You can do this by wetting a clean cloth or chemical-free sponge(if you have one) and wiping the inside with distilled water very lightly every so often until you get consistent humidity readings. This can take up to a week. The other way is to just continue to refill your hydrating element until you get constant humidity. This takes longer of course but is easier on the wood and less likely to make it crack.

That reminds me, only use distilled water for purity in your humidor.

Thats all I can think of right now. I'm at work and about to have a meeting so I'll check this later.

3. what neo said.

4. Cool beans. Thanks boys.

5. if you're rarely ever going to have a large amount of cigars, you can look into some of the travel humidors that some good tobacconists sell. they can come rather large (relative to other travel humidors), and they can keep a humidity level really well. not pretty or elegant, but they're actually not too bad. you don't need to season them, and they should work well for the duration you have your sticks.

but the most ideal option is to get a quality humidor as alan was saying. especially if you plan on holding on to some cigars for a really long time (like i generally do). i would get a digital hydrometer and a good sponge humidification device specifically for humidors. you can use some homemade contraptions that'll work fine, but a good one from the shop will last a really long time. and as he said, use distilled water only. aim for ~70%, as close as you can get to it. the lower you get from there, the drier they'll be and the quicker the oils will deteriorate and the flavor disappear (bad); the higher you get from there, the more likely you'll get mold growing on your sticks (worse).

in my experience, painted humidors or those with some sort of hardcore finish whatever that may be tend to keep a much higher humidity in a temperate climate (i.e. not cuba/florida) than would something with a more traditional matte/satin/smooth wood finish. this is worth keeping in mind, as with mine (pictured) i have a much easier time keeping the humidity up in the winter, but a harder time keeping it down in the summer (DC is a swamp so it's humid as #$%# here in the hot months). just another simulatenous pro/con.

and as alan said, keeping it more filled with cigars will help with consistency. my humidor is currently packed to the brim, and even if i forget to recharge my humidification device in a timely fashion, it stays in a good range.

6. That humidor is a rap video all by itself.

7. this thread is making me want to try a cigar

8. I need a watch case.

9. Ah yes, you reminded me of something: The "ideal" temperature/humidity level is 70*F/70%. This is easy to remember and its great if your house/apartment is always at a consistent 70 deg f temp. Small fluctuations will not matter that much to the inside of the humidor.

However the humidity measured is relative humidity, and depends on the temperature (which dictates the saturation temp for you fellow nerds). I'm sure if you look around you can find a chart that gives you equivalent values of relative humidity for different temperatures, or you can calculate it yourself with a like 2 tables from any basic thermo book. But the general rule is, as temp goes up, your relative humidity should go down to keep the same absolute humidity, and vice versa.

10. Ok, and some more stuff related to this: The 70/70 rule is just a guideline, some people prefer to be a little higher or lower in humidity, usually ranging from 65-75 (at 70 deg f, keep in mind).

Another caveat is if your house is always 80 degrees in the summer or something, make sure you keep that humidity level low enough. 80+ degrees and high humidity has the makings of mold which can ruin tons of cigars at once.

(Don't confuse plume with mold, though, plume is fUcking awesome)

11. yep. the noticeable difference between plume and mold is the color.

plume is what you'll see on well-aged cigars in, say, a quality tobacco shop humidor. it'll be white speckles on the cigar wrapper leaf. it's white, and usually contrasts well with the cigar. MOLD, at least as i've noticed it, can look similar, but is a grayer color. dont smoke it, gonna have a bad time.

12. i smoke old bread

13. wash it down with bleach

14. smoke DANK NUGS