Cylinder shut down really that good?

Discussion in '2006 Chevrolet Camaro Concept' started by firestarter, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Will it use the GTO platform?

Im guessing there is a valve that opens to stop compression in the cylinder. Wouldnt it be better to have an advanced cam, ignition, and direct fuel injection system for better mpg?

2. I'd think so, but I think they were acting like they always have and make a gas guzzling engine for sake of the gas companies, like they always have seriously, and came up with this excuse of shutting down cylinders in order to seem like they're being conservative on gas. It's a coverup, if you ask me.

3. I really don't think it a good thing shure you are not putting fuel into the shut down cylinders but you still have al that mass so all you end up with is a 4 cylinder that has low efficincy do to all parasitic drag ! But then you cant bring up cylinder shut down technology with out the failure that was the 4-6-8 cadillac and the huge problem with that system when it cam out GM's answer to that was to have there dealers just turn the system off . OK I will be the first person to admit that was 25 years ago . things have changed alot chrysler has made it work and I am shure GM and ford will to but when it comes doen to it I don't think it will work in the long run!

4. I really don't think it a good thing shure you are not putting fuel into the shut down cylinders but you still have al that mass so all you end up with is a 4 cylinder that has low efficincy do to all parasitic drag ! But then you cant bring up cylinder shut down technology with out the failure that was the 4-6-8 cadillac and the huge problem with that system when it cam out GM's answer to that was to have there daelers just turn the system of OK I will be the first person to admit that was 25 years ago . thing have changed alot chrysler has made it work and I am shure GM and ford will to but when it comes doen to it I don't think it will work in the long run!

5. I really don't think it a good thing shure you are not putting fuel into the shut down cylinders but you still have al that mass so all you end up with is a 4 cylinder that has low efficincy do to all parasitic drag ! But then you cant bring up cylinder shut down technology with out the failure that was the 4-6-8 cadillac and the huge problem with that system when it cam out GM's answer to that was to have there daelers just turn the system of OK I will be the first person to admit that was 25 years ago . thing have changed alot chrysler has made it work and I am shure GM and ford will to but when it comes doen to it I don't think it will work in the long run!

6. advanced cam, higher voltage (better) ignition system, and then direct injection. Thats alot of money that would definately raise the price of the car alot more than having a computer shut off some injectors. Even then would you still achieve the same mpg with these advanced system using 8cyl compaired to a 4cyl?

7. advanced cam, higher voltage (better) ignition system, and then direct injection. Thats alot of money that would definately raise the price of the car alot more than having a computer shut off some injectors. Even then would you still achieve the same mpg with these advanced system using 8cyl compaired to a 4cyl?

8. advanced cam, higher voltage (better) ignition system, and then direct injection. Thats alot of money that would definately raise the price of the car alot more than having a computer shut off some injectors. Even then would you still achieve the same mpg with these advanced system using 8cyl compaired to a 4cyl?

9. Well, you have to think of it this way...
    Would you rather pay an extra, say, $4000 and save maybe 3mpg? How long would it take you to justify spending that $4000?

10. Chrysler's MDS works excellent. I have it in my Ram it is seamless. It also does reasonable on gas, for a truck. I have a 4X4 quad Cab and I get 20 MPG on the freeway if I keep it at 65 mph.

My only concern is uneven cylinder wear....