Do any of you do art as a living? *updated X 2*

Discussion in 'Artwork - Photoshops and Sketches' started by PoWeReD By NoS, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Do any of you do art as a living?

Specifically drawing? Wasn't there someone on here who was a car designer and got to talk to the Pagani design team or something? The reason I ask is because for my class next week I need to present a practicing professional artist who I find inspiring. The only fine art that really inspires me would have to be of the automotive genre.

If it sounds like I am talking to you, please PM me. All I would require to present to my class would be some information, such as what you do as a day job, your name, where you live (country is fine) and maybe a few examples of you work.

Thanks

2. #2 unrelated, Jan 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  3. Do any of you do art as a living?

If the only art that inspires you is automotive art, you really should use this exercise to find someone who does something other than automotive art who inspires you.

4. Do any of you do art as a living?

There's a difference between fine art and industrial design and both are extremely hard to make a living off of.

5. Do any of you do art as a living?

THere are a few. The guy that designed that 250GTO style car on the 599 is a member, and bugattiart is a professional artist.

6. #6 WhiteChocolateWorld, Jan 10, 2008
  7. Do any of you do art as a living?

I do realise the difference between the specified fields, but they are are still related in the end. If you're designing a car, the concept would probabaly be first sketched out by hand in many cases, just to get the idea out of your head quickly. Regarding christofurs inspiration comment, I guess I should have explained a little better. The only 'visual fine art', specifically in drawing that inspires me would be of the automotive genre. Fine visual art is intersting, it is cool, some even consider it amazing. However, I myself have never had my breathe taken away by it, with the exception of theater work (stage, lighting etc), and photography if it falls under that category. I'm just starting a new design color class and am getting the vibe it really isn't what I want to be doing as cool as it is. I am thinking of possibly moving into technical theater. Sorry for getting off topic, I'll do some investigation into these websites you all provided. I do hope that maybe I will find something inspiring in my searches, but its pretty rar.

Thanks again guys, this website always saves me somehow

8. #8 PoWeReD By NoS, Jan 20, 2008
    Do any of you do art as a living?

Ok so I ended up not picking something automotive related do to time constraints. Anyways I needed to pick and replicate one drawing before my time, and do anther during my lifetime but I can change it however I like (mediums, the picture itself etc.)

So I chose MC Escher (friend told me about him). I tried to replicate his 'Hand with reflecting sphere', done in 1953 as a lithograph (pencil on stone!!). The original image can be found here: http://aaronbaird.net/pictures/Escher/Hand_with_reflecting_globe.jpg

As always, crits are more then welcome. Second piece (Todd Mcfarlane) will be posted when it's done as I have not started yet.

9. #9 DownwardSpiral, Jan 21, 2008
    Do any of you do art as a living?

Pretty sweet!

10. Do any of you do art as a living?

Thanks

11. #11 PoWeReD By NoS, Feb 4, 2008
    Do any of you do art as a living? *updated*

Part 2: Cover of Todd Mcfarlane's Venom

original can be found here: http://www.tommychang.net/uploaded_images/Venomlethal1-785542.jpg

Notice how I had originally planned the character to be in a supermarket, holding an apple. Upon completing the coloring stages, I figured the background was to hard to make up in terms of perspective, so I just got rid of it. Oddly it looks neat with the plain white background in my opinion.

12. I would assume by "replicate" it would be to create your own original piece of art using the style of someone else, not copying an exact image. Venom came out very good though.

13. Thanks

We were copying an image and its style, not the just the style of the artist. However I would like to try drawing stuff the same way Mcfarlane did Venom. It is much easier than it looks. The black is all the same shade through out the entire body, its the blue highlights that create form. Cool stuff.

14. I used to... back in the day.

I did this when I was 15... i'm 23 now.

15. That's pretty good, love the fatty real wheel (no joke). Ever considered drawing the same image again, to see the different outcome?

16. I've wondered how good I could ACTUALLY go. That GT40 only took about 9 or 10 hours to do (on like 5 different days).

17. #17 MyWickedCorolla, Feb 7, 2008
    Well those first sketches of concepts that look entirely different then the actual vehicle made later are like art. How ever the idea comes from a team rather then an idividual.

18. #18 superserge, Feb 8, 2008
    I've seen that one irl..I love Escher

19. You`ve actually seen the real deal eh? Must have looked pretty good haha, mine pales in comparision when side by side with the printd image.

20. I'm a currently studying for my Bachelors of Industrial Design, hopefully to concentrate in transportation design.

21. Cool stuff, where are you studying?

22. Good choice choosing Escher. His work is brilliant.