F1 Clutches and lack of flywheels

Discussion in 'Technical' started by norco123, Feb 17, 2011.

1. so I was wondering about how F1 cars would operate clutches without flywheels, did some searching on the googles and no absolute answers came up, mostly just people asking the same thing I am wondering. I realize F1 cars don't have flywheels, and also understand the basic electro-hydraulic operational principles and how the paddles shift the gears etc. BUT since they lack flywheels, how do those carbon kevlar whatever clutch plates come in contact and use friction to slip and start the car off from 0? what do they contact to produce slippage is it just a clutchpack sort of deal where there are multiple plates and the clutchpack is just bolted to the engine somewhere?

2. I think youre a little confused as to what a flywheel does.

the flywheel isnt part of the clutch assembly. You have a pressure plate and a clutch which come in contact, but a flywheel is just a mass used to load-level the engine. In most cars, its also the point of contact between the starter motor and the engine, which is obviously not used in F1. Pretty sure they use multi plate clutches as well.

3. As phano stated, the flywheel used mainly to balance the engine. The confusion is prolly from the fact that most clutches are sold as a clutch / flywheel assembly. I have no idea how they shift, but prolly a series of clutch plates as phano stated.

4. lol I know how a clutch works quite well as I've studied them and change a few, including one on my car. I know it's not technically a part of the clutch assembly and that it adds rotating mass to the engine to give it momentum for ease of driveability etc... but considering that the pressure plate sandwiches the clutch disk onto the flywheel to achieve that slippage and get the vehicle rolling, it's pretty key right? so where's the contact in the F1 car if there is no flywheel face to use as a friction surface

5. It uses the pressure plate.

Theres no reason it has to be integrated into the flywheel. The CGT had no flywheel.

6. what's on the other side of the clutch in cases like these then? just wondering what the clutch would ride against if you just take the flywheel out of the equation. you still have a clutch disk with friction material on both sides to complete the connection from engine to transmission but only a pressure plate?

7. #7 norco123, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  8. The flywheel is just the large rotating mass part of it. It just load levels. Imagine just taking all that heavy stuff off and just using the friction and load bearing parts.

9. lol I appreciate your effort but I STILL don't think we're understanding each other here. you're saying that one can remove all the heavy/unnecessary parts like the flywheel, but since the clutch physically rides DIRECTLY against the flywheel in almost every manual road car I can think of, how do engineers achieve a clutch engagement system without flywheels??? I am asking what physically can the clutch be forced up against to bring wheel speed through the transmission and equalize it to engine speed

10. Are you sure current F1 engines don't use flywheels? I did research and it says they do. And Phano is right, they use a very small multi plate clutches.

11. For drivelines with no flywheel, the transmission of power between the engine and transmission is done entirely within a clutch pack rather than a single clutch plate on the transmission side being mashed against a flywheel on the engine side. The clutch pack assembly is a drum with two sets of alternating discs. The hub on the inside of the drum is connected to one set of discs, and the casing on the outside is connected to the other set of discs. When a pressure plate mashes against one side, all the clutches are forced together and power is transferred.

And the CGT does have a flywheel. They refer to it as a single-mass flywheel - it's just much lighter and smaller than a normal flywheel, but performs the same purpose.

12. THANK YOU lol this is what I was looking for. so they do use clutchpacks

13. Which are just pressure plates with friction disks.

14. yeah I know what a clutchpack is

15. interesting read.

16. so why was this ever a question, if you already knew how you could have a clutch without a flywheel?

17. I was just trying to get confirmation. read the first post, I asked if they did indeed use clutchpacks to substitute for the lack of a flyhweel.

18. F1 cars use carbon/carbon multiplate clutches. With a carbon/carbon clutch all friction faces are made from carbonfibre reinforced carbon. The clutch isn't used for gearchanges, but only from and to standstill.

The clutch basket are normally made from titanium and there is a steel, normally pull type, spring to provide pressure on the multiple plates. The clutch can be mounted on the engine crankshaft or on the gearbox input shaft.

Below, AP Racing clutch for F1.

19. Looks like pretty much every motorcycle/dirt bike clutch.

20. oh so it's splined right to the crankshaft, nice. thanks for the picture