Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

Discussion in '1966 Dodge D/Dart Super Stock' started by 4agze, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

This is nice, personally, i dont like the huge drodge grill. But it is a real rocket. But its not an 11 second truck by any means. low 13 second truck though.

It would be neat to see a battle for the market between the Lightnign, this Dodge, and if GM brought back the cyclone.
    Then it would be a battle of huge NA power, vs big SC power, vs smaller Turbocharged power. It would be neat.

I can understand why someone would want a truck that is fast. Even though you arent hauling stuff every day with it, the option is there, which really helps out. And on those days you are not hauling stuff, it would be nice to have alittle fun with it right. But i would rather buy a really cheap truck that got the job done, and then by a Cobra rather than buying a Lighning. Now if i LOTS of money to spend, i would consider it.

2. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

first off much of the price in the viper is the body, (fiberglass) and the name, when Diamler Chrysler decided to make viper they wanted to build an exotic car that could compete but costs less than the ferrarris and such. The SRT does not share any suspension with the viper, similarit4es in suspension design but not in the parts themselves. The reason that dodge is creating this truck at such a realitively low price is pretty obvious, to compete. If ford submits their lightning at 32 and, dodge submits their faster and better handling SRT at 36, than that would severely cut into fords market share. At anyrate, the dodge will be able to price that truck that way because it is using an all ready mass produced body and chassis. yes it is sitting on a modifies suspension and with a new engine and an already produced 6speed transmission, but the cost for those is low due to mass producing with the viper and the tooling of the plants, it drives the costs down per unit with every additional one produced, it is simple economics.

And i dont want to hear anyone thinking or saying that a lightning can run 11's with 4 grand, that is a very VERY ignorant thing to say./ I too have seen lightnings run high 11s and low twelves, but there is serious engine mods that have got to be done in order to get that tru k to that level, it takes more planning and money than $4000 will buy. <!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

Does it have IRS, or just a beefed rear-axle? If they have a LRA I don't see how they could make it get that skid-pad number without giving it a punishingly-hard suspension. Even with IRS, I bet it's very rough. Just think about the anti-roll tendencies needed to keep a 5000lb, 73in tall truck level enough to pull a .5G better than a Camaro SS on the skidpad.
    In any case, somebody needs to definitively put and end to the suspension question and post some hard (as in quoted from a rock-solid source) data up here.
    If the Viper body is what really cost, I wouldn't doubt it one bit. If you had to replace the hood on your Viper it'll cost ya about $10K just for the part. And I wouldn't be surprised if they were making an awfull lot of profit at the same time. Is the new Viper gonna be cheaper, seeing as it got rid of that body style?
    In any case, I still see it as a mind 40's truck at least. I think they'll sell all of them anyway, so why slice down your margin anyway, if it is just a few grand more...<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Audi Guy</i>
    <b>Well I do agree with some things. SVT will not let Ram take over because there will most likely be a real Lightning coming out. I have always been a fan of the lightning, but it never lived up to the name. Now this beast comes out and look real bad. I like the ram look, but this truck should be looked at more carefully. It is too high and the wheelbase is too short. It is not even low enough and look real top-heavy. Imagine going around a corner with this beast, can you kiss your ass good-bye, well better start practicing because you will be rolling off the road with that freakin Viper engine. I feel the viper engine should stay in the viper, wow, what a concept. Well It is a nice concept, but it should be looked at more carefully. I would like to see this baby on the road anyway, well before it makes it onto the side. Cya in my rear view.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

.92G mean anything to you?<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

WHAT A PICK UP TRUCK JUST RIGHT FOR OUT ACCELERATING NISSAN SKYLINES

6. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

enough child speak!!!!! New Deal, your right about Ford will be sitting back.... but not for long. The only reason they sit back and watch the Mustang be third, fourth, or whatever, is the Mustang out sells both those f-bodies combined. Money is more important than being number one when it comes to production. In fact The Mustang has no more competition until GM releases a reborn Camaro in 2004. If a Chevy or a Dodge Truck overtake the Ford Lightning in sales, be sure Ford will react.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from YIMMY</i>
    <b>"uhm ok so you think the Viper is expensive?
    uhm think of any car that can match its performance for that price or less? uhm, no idea? well, then lets say, find a car that matches its performance for... less than $100,000 ? hardly."

-ivanhoe

Well you asked for it, so ill say it. The z06 is probably one of the best preformance deals out there

1996 Viper GTS (66 grand)
    Top Speed 185.0 mph 0 - 60 mph 4.4 seconds
    0 - Πmile 12.7 seconds
    Lateral Acceleration .97g EPA City/Hwy 13 / 24 mpg
    (i know its a 96, but it had the most comprehensive stats)

2002 Corvette z06 (50 grand)
    Top Speed 171.0 mph 0 - 60 mph 3.9 seconds
    0 - Πmile 12.4 seconds
    Lateral Acceleration .98g EPA City/Hwy 19 / 28 mpg

Umm... i guess being cheaper and beating it in 4 out of the 5 major performance categories (ok, 3 out of 4 if you dont count gas) should give you the answer to your first question... and for the second one? BUY TWO!!!

Ill admit the viper looks cooler, and I might even prefer one (especially the new one) but the z06 is definately a car that can match its performance, for less money.

(all the stats not listed on supercars.net I took from the offcial chevy press release)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Why not compare the 2003 Viper to the 2002 Z06?

Mind you I have a ton of respect for the Z06, no doubt.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

cause the 2003s dont have any stats yet

9. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

We do know that its going to be faster than the older viper so take it from there I guess. <!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

I love the Lightning, but in it's current guise it won't touch this without some major tuning.
    How are they gonna put all that power to the ground, though? My friend's V8 F150 breaks the tires loose just pulling out of a Taco Bell in perfect weather, even when you're just trying to pull into traffic. How are they gonna make this anything more than an impressive smoke machine?<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

This truck will wope the shit out of a ford dipp shit

12. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

This exact truck is not gonna go into production. They said that theres gonna be a production model but it aint gonna have a freaken viper V-10. I mean if they had a viper V-10 in it, it would cost almost as much as the freaken viper its self. And besides there is no way ford is gonna sit back and watch this peice of crap burn it's lighting.

And if ford wants to do the same thing as dodge is doin now they can take the new GT-40 engine sitck in a lighting and it would smoke any dodge you throw at it including the viper.

13. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

there is a lot to adress here, first this truck IS going into production as is (viper V10 and all. Next fall, Dodge made that very clear at NAIAS).
    Moparforlife said that putting a 426 hemi in it would make it an 11 second truck, are you aware that the Viper V10 under the hood is 505cid (8.3L) 505 is a lot bigger than the 426 Hemi. The Hemi makes 425 hp and this makes 500hp. Think before you talk next time.
    nfs, can you even tell me who the head of SVT is for Ford, I didn't think so! And the "Ram Rod" you are refering to was a specialty truck made for the SEMA show in Las Vegas. It had a 528 hemi and is not going into production, there is only one of them in existance.
    joeybballer, if Ford did the same mods to the lightning 5.4L as they did for the cobra r and kept the supercharger they would effectively shoot the pistons out the hood of the truck. The reason being that the Cobra R has really high compression and a crazy intake plenum and that is what makes most of its power. Now with a supercharger you have to run low compression because the supercharger compresses the air into the engine.
    Carrera26, to answer your question of putting the power to the ground, it uses most of the same driveline and suspension from the new generation Viper. The only real difference are the gear ratio's in the rear diff.

14. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

Well I do agree with some things. SVT will not let Ram take over because there will most likely be a real Lightning coming out. I have always been a fan of the lightning, but it never lived up to the name. Now this beast comes out and look real bad. I like the ram look, but this truck should be looked at more carefully. It is too high and the wheelbase is too short. It is not even low enough and look real top-heavy. Imagine going around a corner with this beast, can you kiss your ass good-bye, well better start practicing because you will be rolling off the road with that freakin Viper engine. I feel the viper engine should stay in the viper, wow, what a concept. Well It is a nice concept, but it should be looked at more carefully. I would like to see this baby on the road anyway, well before it makes it onto the side. Cya in my rear view.

15. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

500 hp is a lot for a production truck, i dnt think you will be seing to many of them driving around. but they better make a manual for this or i will be dissapointed. All the lightnings are automatics. but its a sweet truck anyway<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

nope, this isnt a reality yet. we re still in the concept stage children!<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

i dont think that it would pass the emission standards. if it does there would not be many at all<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

i think that with only 3 people exceeding the 200 post mark here, has something to do with the quality of the comments presented
    specially the guy that said that this truck can do 11s on the 1/4...
    c'mon... it may have monstrous power, but i think it esn't designed to beat the lightning, that power is for towing
    500/5000 = 1hp x 10lb
    the lightning is more sporty, definitly!<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

thank you, gearjammer, at least one person knows what he is talking about. yes, it is official, that can't be made more clear. i attended the NAIAS last weekend, and this thing was a sight to see. of course, not the same wheels and brakes, but everything else is lifted directly from the concept in the more production-ready guise you see in the pictures. no pricing was mentioned, which is typical of a radical concept such as this. anyway, expect to see it on the road in less than a year<!-- Signature -->

20. The Lightning has been the best for some years now, but this thing will kill it! Dodge has tried in the past with the S/R versions but with no luck. I am positive that Dodge will produce this. Now there is a faster Dodge truck than a Ford truck! Where the Chevy at (Silverado SS)? John Moss needs to build something "real" that can be produced.

2Fast-Dre.

21. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

Your right. This dodge is tight. Puttin a 426 Hemi in it will make it a 11 second truck. It already has a V10 in it you figure that will be a big enough engine. We might start seeing the battle of the biggest engines again. For all the Mopar lovers in the US, Dodge put this one into production fast!

22. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

you are a bunch of dumb shits, do you think ford is going to sit on there ass and watch a turd dodge out run the lightning ,the head of SVT has already said that they are going to go back to work on the lightning. besides the "RAM ROD" has only been out for about a month you really think SVT is going to let anything touch the lightning especially a DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

If anything a Dodge!!!! should eat the lightnings lunch, true it's been a serious performer for years and has looks but it can't touch this SRT with a 40 mile pole. This thing has more torque than 2 Mustangs, so right there fords best engine is shot to hell. Anyway I think it'll take alot of work b4 any Ford touches this bad ass mother #$%#in truck.<!-- Signature -->

24. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

All Ford really needs to do for the Lightning is make the same mods as the Cobra R engine and keep the supercharger. That should put it back on top quite nicely. At least a five speed is much needed though.

25. Re: Finally the Ford Lightning is second!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Carrera26</i>
    <b>Just by the economies of scale, how are they going to get this anywhere near 35-40K? Ford can sell the Lightning for a relatively low price because they simply soup up the stock truck. SC and tune the motor, a bit of suspension work on the live axle, beefen it up here and there, etc... How is Dodge going to keep this truck competitively priced with that extremely expensive V-10 and Viper suspension pieces? (Somebody said it would use at least similar to Viper suspension pieces, so I'm goin off that.) And if they can do it at that price, why is the Viper so freaking expensive (especially now that they have gotten rid of that hideously expensive clamshell body)? And I'd still like to know how you get this thing to hook up effectively. Vipers have a hard enough time doing it, and they have vastly more well suited suspension geometires and wieght distribution.
    I really like the truck and hope they make it, but I don't see it as being in the same price range as the Lightning. Maybe $60K at best, unless I am missing something here...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

uhm ok so you think the Viper is expensive?
    uhm think of any car that can match its performance for that price or less? uhm, no idea? well, then lets say, find a car that matches its performance for... less than $100,000 ? hardly.

Now Chrysler has done a lot of parts sharing in its car line to keep prices down, think Prowler (ok not a great awesome performer I agree but its such a damn good looking car) it shares parts from anything from the Viper to the LH sedans. The new Crossfire uses 30% of the Mercedes CLK coupe parts bin as well...

And with Dodge execs accepting they put about $8000 in add-ons on the Dodge Neon SR-T while they are just charging an extra $4500 over base price, don't you think they are likely going to follow the same policy with their RAM truck?

P.D. who said muscle cars are death? they are very alive... but now they seem to havegot a cargo bed and 4WD<!-- Signature -->