Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R 'Ring time

Discussion in 'American Cars' started by V8stangman, Jan 26, 2015.

1. #1 V8stangman, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Did The Ford Shelby GT350R Just Smash The Camaro Z/28’s Nurburgring Time?

In one word: yes.

Word is coming in that the new Ford Shelby GT350R has lapped the Nurburgring in 7:32.19. We all knew this was going to happen sooner or later, and now we’re just waiting for an official announcement from Ford. That’s more than five seconds faster than the Chevrolet Camaro Z/28, which did the lap in 7:37.47. The news is hardly that surprising, but Mustang fans will be thrilled nonetheless. Camaro people, well, your redemption will have to come later.

Exact power figures for the GT350R were never released, with Ford only claiming that it produces more than 500 hp from that new flat-plane crank V8. The Z/28 has a 7.0-liter V8 churning out 505 hp. Both have plenty of lightweight, carbon-fiber aerodynamic components, but the Z/28 is without question the heavier car. We’ll provide more details, hopefully with a video of the GT350R’s run, as soon as they’re available.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2015/1/26/Did-The-Ford-Shelby-GT350R-Just-Smash-The-Camaro-Z-28-s-Nurburgring-Time-7725068/

2. The ring has become a dick measuring contest between car companies

3. They're track cars, so measuring track dicks is appropriate. Also both are beast mode cars, but this new stang checks all the right boxes, what a car.

4. #4 962RACER, Jan 27, 2015
    i wonder what tires the stang was running since the z28 is equipped with pirelli p zero trofeo r tires AND has carbon ceramics. quite a lot of cars out there would slash at the very least 15-20 seconds off their lap times at the ring (if not more) with those two mods. the trofeo r is basically a street legal race tire, more so than dual purpose tires like advan ad08, direzza star spec or potenza re11's. if the mustang did it on semi normal tires that is extremely impressive.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero+Trofeo+R

5. That is a very impressive time. Its kinda comparing apples to well rotten apples though. The new gen mustang beats the old gen long in the tooth camaro. But its still very impressive for what the car is and the price point its at

6. #6 ETB4U, Jan 30, 2015
  7. Scrotisimus please can you explain me what you try to show in your comment because I am unable to understand.

8. The GT350 is looking seriously impressive. It sounds great, and it looks great. You can get the regular GT here from December priced at $62k on the road, which is good value for money, but I fear the GT350 will probably be kissing $100k, which I think is too much.