Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under 200k

Discussion in '2000 Hennessey Viper Venom 800TT' started by hennesseyms, Jul 25, 2003.

1. my current vote is for the Venom 1000TT what do you think could take this or that is simply the best?

2. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

well...umm...any thing can take it on...it's a matter of what can beat it...?

3. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

fair enough then, so what car could beat a 1000TT?

4. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

a car for drift,accelration,track??
    The Viper 1000tt is not for drift and not for track.To make this car to the track you need to be a really good driver!

5. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

let me guess u another 1 of those people who think that Vipers are Straight-line-cars!
    if so ur wrong and go away!

6. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

any fashion of superority, drift, track, 0-60, whatever, what car can beat this car in any way?

7. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

The Tiger T100 top spec model, it's the fastest 0-60 production car in the world and it can beat the F1 round a track by quite a bit. Also the Viking SRX-7 probably could but that has'nt been put into production yet, it does have a 600Bhp engine in a 600Kg car and it's estimates are very very impressive. The 1000TT would kill both in top speed but not in 1/4 mile runs or 0-60, 0-100 and track. The Caterham R500 would put up a good fight on a twisty track.

If you know what the cars I've mentioned are, you'll know they are all very, very light stripped out cars and all of them cost under £50,000.

8. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

that Viking SRX-7 sounds nice...
    got any thing else on it...like a pic?

9. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

Yeh heres an article I found and a few pics.

Fink's Ultimate Street Car Challenge entry form says it all: "Weight, horsepower, weight, styling, weight, handling, weight, engineering." Fink is the president of Advanced Engineering, Inc. in Media, Penn., where lighter is, apparently, better. AEI is responsible for the extremely light, extremely powerful car on these pages.

One look at the Laminar Concepts Viking SRX-7 and it's clear its creators are serious about their mission: To build a very loosely based Lotus Seven replica capable of winning every contest of automotive performance. To do so, they use a less-is-more philosophy, which makes the late Colin Chapman look like a conservative ninny by comparison.

Let's put the SRX-7 in perspective. Fink claims it weighs 1,710 lbs and packs 450 or so horsepower. If true, those figures put the SRX-7 worlds away from virtually any other street car and only a notch or two down from a Champ car in the power-to-weight department. Even with a 20 percent BS factor, those numbers are serious enough to make Chapman soil his knickers and give this two-seater a real shot at winning every performance test in the USCC.

The SRX-7 is constructed of 4130 tubing and covered in structural composite bodywork, so it does have some similarities to the original Lotus Super Seven. However, the likeness ends there. Power comes from a remanufactured and internally stock Mazda 13B rotary, which has all the right parts to make the claimed power figure. A single-turbo conversion using a custom-built, equal-length stainless-steel turbo header feeds the Turbonetics T04B 60-1 turbocharger. An HKS wastegate, 3-inch exhaust, high-flow catalytic converter and twin Walker Dynomax mufflers complete the exhaust system.

On the cold side of the turbo there's an air-to-air intercooler, which is force-fed cool air by a large hood scoop and extensive composite ducting. The stock intake manifold is Extrude Honed for better flow and the throttle body is ported. There are two stock RX-7 fuel pumps drawing fuel from the 10-gallon Fuel Safe fuel cell. Fuel is fed through -6 lines to the 550 cc/min stock injectors and an additional 1600 cc/min secondary injector. An A'PEXi Power FC stand-alone ECU controls all engine parameters except boost, which is handled by A'PEXi's AVC-R.

The rear suspension started life as a complex multi-link, semi-trailing-arm type from a second-generation RX-7, but has been heavily modified. All rubber bushings are replaced with spherical bearings. The geometry is changed, allowing for a modified roll center, as well as adjustable camber and toe. The front suspension consists of custom-built upper and lower control arms. Damping is handled by triple-adjustable Penske shocks at all four corners. And the SRX-7 rolls on the stickiest street tire known to man-the Hoosier R3S03, measuring 245/35ZR-18 in front and a staggering 275/35ZR-18 in the rear. Brakes are equally serious. Since the SRX-7 is essentially a designed-from-the-ground-up package, Fink uses a Wilwood pedal assembly with a Tilton master cylinder. Four-piston Wilwood Superlite calipers and 11.75-inch rotors make up the front brake hardware, while stock second-generation RX-7 calipers and 10.5-inch calipers are used in the rear.

On paper, the Laminar Concepts Viking SRX-7 has all the right goods to be a serious contender for the "Ultimate" title. Weaknesses? Well, history tells us that turbo rotaries are extremely sensitive to poor tuning and heat, and then there's the unknown issues that arise with any homebrew special like the SRX-7. Fact is, history hasn't been very kind to men like Jerry Fink who have the balls to build their own car. Anyone remember Jerry Weigert's Vector? DeLorean's DeLorean? Bricklin's Bricklin? At least Fink has physics firmly on his side. Tune in next month to see if this unique machine has what it takes.

LAMINAR CONCEPTS VIKING SRX-7
    ENGINE
    Engine Code: 13B
    Type: Turbocharged and intercooled, two-rotor wankel
    Internal Modifications: None
    External Modifications: Single turbo conversion with custom stainless-steel header and Turbonetics T04B 60-1 turbocharger, HKS wastegate, 3-inch exhaust with high-flow catalytic converter and twin Dynomax mufflers, upgraded intercooler, Extrude Honed intake manifold, ported throttle body
    Engine Management Modifications: A'pexi AVC-R boost controller, A'pexi Power FC ECU, two RX-7 fuel pumps, 1600 cc/min additional injector, Essex fuel pressure regulator
    DRIVETRAIN
    Layout: Front/mid engine, rear-wheel drive
    Drivetrain Modifications: Centerforce clutch, aluminum flywheel
    SUSPENSION
    Front: Penske three-way adjustable coil-overs on custom upper and lower control arms
    Rear: Penske three-way adjustable coil-overs on modified second-gen. RX-7 multi-link/trailing arm combo
    BRAKES
    Front: 11.75-in. cross-drilled rotors, Wilwood Superlite four-piston calipers, Hawk pads, braided stainless steel lines
    Rear: 10.5-in cross-drilled rotors, single-piston sliding RX-7 calipers, Hawk pads, braided stainless steel lines external
    EXTERNAL
    Wheels: BBS RK 18x8.5-in. front, 18x10-in. rear
    Tires: Hoosier R3S03, 245/35ZR-18 front, 275/35ZR-18 rear

10. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

Sounds nice...
    looks shit...

How much horse power does that lit'l thing have...?

11. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

It says 450 at the beginning of the article.

12. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

It's loosley based on a lotus 7 which explains the looks. They are planning a 600Bhp version.

13. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

in terms of speed, the 1000TT. overall I'd probably go with the Mercedes S65 AMG when it comes out

14. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

are they planning on a Roof version...

15. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

No. There has'nt ever been a Lotus 7 replica with a roof though so it would be interesting to see one.

16. #16 fyreboltx, Aug 9, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

Caterham R500 and SRX-7 are great cars and yes they could beat the 1000TT. But they don't exactly look very nice. Also, these two do not have roofs, one has no doors plus.

I would rather take a Lingenfelter Twin Turbo C5 Corvette. 6-60 in under 2 seconds (with cheater slicks). I would much rather take a Lingenfelter TT Corvette.

http://www.fast-autos.net/lingenfelter/lingenfelter427tt.html

But I do wanna see what Hennessey can do with the SRT-10, but I wouldn't expect it to be much better then the current generation 1000TT. Not until Dodge released a coupe version anyway.

BTW, how come supercars.net hasnt put any of the Lingenfelter Corvettes or the 1000TT on its site yet?

17. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

I would prefer a 100TT or a Lingefelter Corvette over thoes two, I was just pointing out better track performance.
    I have a photoshop of a possible new 800TT.

18. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

well that must be a bit of a pain in the ass if u wannna go out and it's rainin!

19. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

all of the cars are nice and extremely fast but i'd take a 1000tt viper over any other sports car.

20. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

I would'nt, I'd take it over 90% of cars under 200k mbut I would prefer a 911 GT1 or CC8S or eevn better a Veyron. The best car under it's price that I would take is a Speed 12.

21. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

understandable but r they better cars or do u jus like them more?

22. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

I meant to say I would take it over 90% of cars under 200k, the ones I would'nt take it over are TVR's mainly cos they're my faverout marque, as for better cars, styling wise I prefer most TVR's performance wise the Speed 12 is the only one that comes close and no one can say which is quicker so I'll pick the Speed 12 on looks.

23. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

k, how does the Speed 12 stack up against the Venom cause I know it'd be smoked on 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile etc. but...?

24. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

The 800tt hit 0-60 in 3.18 seconds with road tires according to car and driver, the speed 12 had recorded a couple of 3.1's and a 2.9. Top speed is likeley to go to the speed 12, it's more powerful than the 800tt, lighter and has a race car chassis. Weather it's more powerful than the 100tt we will probably never know, what we do know is that it has over 960Bhp. On the dyno it hit 800Bhp but the torque it produced snapped the cables holding it on, the 960Bhp figure was worked out from an untuned version of the engines (2 V6's welded together on a single crank), the one fitted into the speed 12 was highly tuned. 1/4 mile no one knows either, there is'nt enough on the speed 12 to say this is better or that is cos we just don't know, only the 0-60 time and the weight are known. The guy that owns it should have it tested by TopGear or somthing (he lives in England so it would most likeley be TopGear) and get all the speculation over with.

25. Re: Here's your chance...what's the best street legal car under

under 200k? ill go under 100k. a supercharged lotus elise 190 with a built up engine so you can run lets say 18 psi. with that you shud be pushing roughly 400hp. a 400 hp elise would decimate anything. ANYTHING. a 800tt or 1000 tt might have 2x the power, but they also have 2x the weight. you must remember that might equal out in aceleration terms, but not in handleing.