HSV would kick its arse

Discussion in '2001 BMW M5' started by BMW M5 MAN, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: HSV would kick its arse

what do u mean they said the traction control restricted its effectiveness and that the brakes weren't up to pushing hard for a few laps.
    waht the #$%# does that mean ????????????????
    <!-- Signature -->

2. Re: HSV would kick its arse

GM will never be better than BMW...that is a fact of life many GM fans must face...

also, "Fact fo the matter they are both fat bastards and I cant waint till BMW put that m5 v8 into the m3. Z06 corvette here we come! " - Hartge can do that for you ;)<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: HSV would kick its arse

when tested by every magazine and tv program and every time the M5 wins shouldn't that tell u something, and the M5 put down a laptime of 8:09 driven by Jenson Button. Seen on tv before a f1 race.

4. Re: HSV would kick its arse

I have read the august 2000 nurburgring test in Motor aswell. It was the slightest biassed towards the GTS but i think Anders Olofsson did say that the bmw was "over engineered" and "the brakes faded after a couple of hard laps around the ring". The commodre is based on the opel omega platform but there has been alot of changes whcih I am not aware of as of yet as I don't really care either. theres als no way the m5 did 0-60mph in under 5 seconds. I think its quoted 5 seconds by BMW and I havnt ever seen it go under that. If you want to go by quoted times GTS does 5.1 0-100km and 13.3 400 metres run which would make it do 5 seconds flat 0-60mph and 13.2 1/4mile. Handling wise the bmw might be better but with that extra weight it doesnt help its case. Fact fo the matter they are both fat bastards and I cant waint till BMW put that m5 v8 into the m3. Z06 corvette here we come!

5. if you want to go on simply about performance of a car, then take a trip down here to Australia, a HSV GTS would, sorry did slaughter an M5 as a driver's car. We ship them to England, and they drove one over to Germany, picked up an E55 and an M5, conducted an extensive road test on the autobarn's and on the track. the M5 has recorded a best lap time at Nurimburg (sp?) of 8:28 and the HSV was 15 seconds quicker...

Oh and its half the price...

6. Re: HSV would kick its arse

The HSV is just a tarted up vaxhall omega, every road test i have read has said that the M5 is better in every aspect, handling, performance, driver involment, everything, and thats bullshit about the lap time by the way.... <!-- Signature -->

7. Re: HSV would kick its arse

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1q2w3e</i>
    <b>if you want to go on simply about performance of a car, then take a trip down here to Australia, a HSV GTS would, sorry did slaughter an M5 as a driver's car. We ship them to England, and they drove one over to Germany, picked up an E55 and an M5, conducted an extensive road test on the autobarn's and on the track. the M5 has recorded a best lap time at Nurimburg (sp?) of 8:28 and the HSV was 15 seconds quicker...

Oh and its half the price...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

all the books and tv shows i seen and read said the my is better. so i dont know where u got this infromation but is very ronge. the M5 has a 0-60 time of 4.8 seconds while the HSV has one of 0-60 in about 5.2-5.3 second so how is it better?<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: HSV would kick its arse

the lap time is bullshit??? I dont think so, it was tested by Motor magazine and they used an aussie driver Mark Skaife and a guy who was really accustomed to the ring, he's names Anders Olofsson and he's done 10 000 laps at Nurburgring and finished second at Le Mans, he's quoted as saying "between 8 mins 10-15 secs, and the M5 10 to 15 seconds slower."

I guess a guy who finished second at Le Mans wouldn't know anything about cars eh? By the way he did say the M5 was a much better car for the autobarns, but around the track the HSV beat it, head over to one of the HSV links on this site and ask someone else there and see what they say.

And a done up vauxhall? Good one, pity the cars are designed, manafactured and built in Australia, oh then shipped to England. So no I don't think so on that one.

9. Re: HSV would kick its arse

The guy above me, can't remember his name, said that the m5 goes round the ring in 8:30?
    no way numbnuts, the m5 continuously goes round in sub 8's.
    The motor magazine article u read was biased, i've read it too, and there are heaps of holes in it. The m5 wins in every respect. The GTS is a tarted up car that impresses narrow minded australians and no one else. The only thing that its got going for it is value for money, but in this class of cars, whos after that? if u can afford a GTS, chances are u can afford an m5

10. Re: HSV would kick its arse

You obviously haven't read the article, otherwise you would have read the part where Olofsson estemates the time for the M5 between 8:25-8:30 and the BMW engineers at the track admitted to a best time of 8.28. The M5 didn't win around the track, they said the traction control restricted its effectiveness and that the brakes weren't up to pushing hard for a few laps.

And you reckon an M5 cuts sub 8 mins? Thats crap, a E46 M3 only cuts under it by 5 seconds or so.

11. Re: HSV would kick its arse

what do u mean the traction controol????

<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: HSV would kick its arse

Must mean Autocar, Evo and Car magazine are all wrong then. All 3 have proclaimed the M5 to be the best super-saloon in the world.

The HSV was criticised for feeling unwieldy and showing its vast size. One comment described the HSV as "a size to big".

Anyway, from what I've read the M5 is the better all round vehicle.

Oh, and doesnt Mark Skaife race HSV Commodores in the Australian V8 Series? <!-- Signature -->

13. Re: HSV would kick its arse

BMW - Reputation for great quality,high performance and marvellous engineering.

Holden - Beats BMW.

I dont care if the seats in the SV300 dont give proper lumbar support.. i dont care if the glovebox squeaks, or that the finish might not be so hot..... i care that the Commdore, a BIG 4 door family sedan, can beat a German Supercar.

14. Re: HSV would kick its arse

the M5 would blow its doors off. Id like to see that holden go up against a tuned M5 by Hamann or the N500 M5 whic produces about 530 horsepower. In every aspect the M5 is Goliath and there will never be a David to slay it.

15. Re: HSV would kick its arse

How the hell are you gonna have a driver that races the HSV compare both cars in a race .Who do you think gives him a pay check for racing (HSV makers or BMW)? Of course when he drives the HSV will win thats his ass if it losses.The BMW M's are prime examples of perfect engineering. I also want to know the last time a jaw-dropped at an HSV.

16. Re: HSV would kick its arse

Did you mean to type 503 instead of 530? The only things I've heard about the N500 say 503 hp.

17. Re: HSV would kick its arse

Yuck Fou HSVBoy!!!<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: HSV would kick its arse

No, the HSV wouldnt smoke this car.
    They compared these cars before in the magazine Car and Driver, and they got the M5 as 1st place, why?
    cuz it's faster, handles better (but they said the HSV handle better on the mountains), and looks better.
    Even tho the HSV is a nice car, i'll take the M5 over the HSV anyday.

19. Re: HSV would kick its arse

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Aussie HSV</i>
    <b>BMW - Reputation for great quality,high performance and marvellous engineering.

Holden - Beats BMW.

I dont care if the seats in the SV300 dont give proper lumbar support.. i dont care if the glovebox squeaks, or that the finish might not be so hot..... i care that the Commdore, a BIG 4 door family sedan, can beat a German Supercar.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

So the M5 is not a 4 door family saloon then?<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: HSV would kick its arse

Ronge the HSV does not beat the M5 u are ronge. the M5 placed 1st and HSV places 2ed<!-- Signature -->

21. Re: HSV would kick its arse

Your allowed your opinion as are people who disagree.

I however, refuse to believe anyone who cannot simply spell the word wrong.

22. Re: HSV would kick its arse

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1q2w3e</i>
    <b>Your allowed your opinion as are people who disagree.

I however, refuse to believe anyone who cannot simply spell the word wrong.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Lol, everyone disagrees with you, which would make me inclined to agree with them, however the point you make in this quote is a beautiful one indeed. Plus, its damn funny. <!-- Signature -->

23. Re: HSV would kick its arse

<b>Your allowed your opinion as are people who disagree.

I however, refuse to believe anyone who cannot simply spell the word wrong.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    LOL...
    but still don't like your aussie shit<!-- Signature -->

24. Re: HSV would kick its arse

BMW - Reputation for great quality,high performance and marvellous engineering.

Holden - Beats BMW.

I dont care if the seats in the SV300 dont give proper lumbar support.. i dont care if the glovebox squeaks, or that the finish might not be so hot..... i care that the Commdore, a BIG 4 door family sedan, can beat a German Supercar

Now, what we have here, is your general run of the mill GM world platform under the HSV. That same platform is found on the Malibu, Catera, and a Vaxhual. As, for those number the only test i've ever read was from Car and Driver which placed the M5 ahead, (don't ask for the figures because i don't have the issue, and seeing as its CD I wouldn't trust them father then i could throw them). NOw my point is, that no matter how much faster the HSV can be made, it still can't compare to the M5. Because the M5 is a vastly superior machine and no modified Malibu with a Camero engine is gonna touch that, sorry old friend, your wrong. <!-- Signature -->

25. #25 Guibo, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016