i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

Discussion in '1952 Chrysler ‘Thomas Special’ Prototype' started by sniper, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

I don't think you wanna take on this car off-road...

keep the faith<!-- Signature -->

2. it has no bhp, but it can climb almost anything. i have a minivan, and it has more hp than the h1. it is also way overpriced. yes way. 80k. geez i say about 35k-50k<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

you don't need hp to climb....torque is where its at...hp will get up top speed...that is they this thing is not fast...

4. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

Well, supercarman, let me enlighten you. Supercars.net has kindly failed to inform us that the Hummer has 430 lb./ft. (that's no typo!) of torque, which is what it needs to do WHAT IT IS MADE TO DO. That is, to go off-road, not to set land speed records. Sorry to disappoint, folks. It does its job spendidly and as for the price, if you had seen, as I have, the techniques and materials uesd in manufacturing these mechanical marvels, you would understand why the better models are priced at over 100 grand (US). These vehicles were originally designed for Desert Storm, able to last 12 years under the most punishing conditions the US military could throw at it. Each vehcile is also partially hand-crafted, drastically raising the price and quality. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Al<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

not only what these guys have listed above, but it's also the super low gearing...it's so strong, u could sit someone that didn't know how much power it had and u couldn't be called stupid for saying u thought it had 500+ bhp

6. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from HAAS</i>
    <b>you don't need hp to climb....torque is where its at...hp will get up top speed...that is they this thing is not fast...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Horsepower is needed for exceleration not top speed. The larger the power to weight ratio the faster the exceleration.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

All i have to say is that you get what you pay for. If all you want is a 4x4 for snow and bad weather you can get away with a jeep grand cherokee. I have one and i love it. It was only 40 grand as apposed to a hummer of over 100,000. I also ended up spending over 10,000 in suspension and powertrain mods. If i wanted the most capable off road vehicle i would buy a hummer no questions asked. no need for mods and hell it even has more luxury options than my jeep.

8. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Nuclear Donkey</i>
    <b>430 lb./ft. <!-- END QUOTE -->

CHRIST SUCK ME SIDE WAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

ummm sorry but torque is acceleration, because u need torque to pull, its common sense, you need acceleration to get it going. and this thing is lso indesructable almost literally. ive seen a tank shell land within 2-3 feet of one (on the discovery or history channel or sumthin like that) and come out without a frigggin paint scratch this thing would rule to drive through dallas. literally. <!-- Signature -->

10. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

You want horse power by a porsche, you want to carry people and lots of luggage and go grocery shopping, get a Hummer. I have both.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

You guys are all funny...HORSEPOWER IS A WORTHLESS NUMBER GENERATED FROM TORQUE. TORQUE is what makes your car go, horsepower is the engine's ability to do work in a certain amount of time. That's why you can multiply torque by RPM/5252 to get horsepower; an engine that generates 200lb-ft of torque can do more work in a certain amount of time at 4000rpm than at 2000rpm because it's going faster. Horsepower sells cars to ignoramouses. Just give me an engine's redline and a description of its torque curve and I can compare it to any engine on the market. High torque @ high rpm means good top speed and good midrange acceleration, high torque @ low rpm means quick starts and good pulling ability.

This truck would probably be better off with the engine from the new Bentley Arnage T because it has 600lb-ft of flat torque over its range. Of course, you would lose that diesel grumble.<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

What has the hummer got to do with Supercars? There has been to many inclusions lately that should have nothing to do with this site. Why is there no coverage of the Group B rally cars? Does anyone else agree?<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

why is the hummer even here, this site is about performance cars and concepts. this is the production version and it definatley doesnt hav good performance numbers (except for torque numbers).

14. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sniper</i>
    <b>I don't think you wanna take on this car off-road...

keep the faith</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->why wouldn't you wanna take this truck (its not a car like you say)off road

15. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Cemoxbs</i>
    <b>The hummer H1 sucks, Mercedes-Benz G500 is the best suv around. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

you must be the biggest idiot here, does the g500 have 16.5" of ground clearance? it probobly doesnt have 9". Also, does the g500 have 430 torque? no, it has 330. also, the hummer would snap the g500 in half like a twig. the damn things are indestructable. the g500 is nowhere near the hummer, especially the hummers wit .50's mounted on em >)<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

umm, I don't see any of you guys w/something better than the Hummer. The ML500 is more luxurious of course, but it doesn't have the off-road capability. This site isn't just about cars w/speed an concepts, half of these concepts on this site won't even see the road. This site is about extrordinary vehicles doing extrodinary things

17. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

oops, I mean G500. sorry for my typo guys. But really, nothing is like a Hummer

18. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

it has no horsepower, but it has more than enough torque which is what makes it unstoppable.
    secondly, along with all that standard gearing it has i small diff like thingy in each end of the axles. where the axles go to the wheels there is a gear that is spinning another gear at a ratio of about 4:1 or 3:1 i dont quite remember, so this further reduces the gearing which translates to... more torque and climbing power, doesnt do shit for speed though. this also gives increased ground clearance. also we all know that the ratios in the gearbox are already low for pulling and climbing, so that is why a vehicle that weights so damn much can haul so damn much.

19. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

the hummer is THE best off-roader around. dont f*ck with it. as for the g500, its a very luxurious suv, but off road, it would get its a** kicked. As for the horsepower issue, "...horsepower is what sells the car, torque is what moves it..." quote by the owner of the semi-famous performance company, Neuspeed

20. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

I agree, buit it is still a nice vehicle

21. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

i think he means that you wouldnt want to take it on, as in go against it.

22. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

guys,supercars are cars that are superior than others,and this hummer is gr8
    so it should be in here.
    best off-road car ever

23. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

STUPID!!!!! Its called torque its got 430 ft lbs WAY MORE THAN SOME JUNKY AS HECK MINIVAN!!!!!!

24. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

why not?

25. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

i think he means don't try to go against it.