i need advice on gettin one

Discussion in '1993 Mazda RX-7 JM1FD' started by luv2xlr8, Aug 9, 2002.

1. I'm just looking for another car to drive for fun and maybe add some mods here and there. I'm not goin to go all out and buy one already suped up, but a friend of mine has one w/ about 80,000 miles on it and the year of the RX-7 he has is a '93. Would you buy this car for around $14,000? b/c i think i read somewhere that i would have to rebuild the engine around 90,000 miles and really dont want to spend a lot on this car. Also, there is a lot of positive feed back for this car, but also some negative feedback which has made me concerned in purchasing this car. I was just wondering if there are any other cars you would recommend and it doesnt have to be Japanese, but something sporty and fun w/in a reasonable price range. I also think that a lot of people are going to recommend Supra's over this, but they cost around $30,000.

2. #2 krazyjl, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: i need advice on gettin one

reliability should be OK as long as you are willing to put the time into taking care of it. i dont have any experience with one, www.rx7forum.com will give you the best answers.

other cars of similar price: eclipse, rsx, integra type-r, various american,... too many to list them all. do a little more looking around. rx-7 is still my fav though, best mod potential for a jap car besides the supra and great handling.

3. #3 Bigsteve, Aug 9, 2002

If he's going to sell it for $14,000 check www.ebay.com first. You would be surprised at some of the deals you can get on there. Just a few pieces of advice, bid on one close by so you can check it out and if your gonna bid, bid at the last second your only going to get it cheaper.

4. #4 Audi357, Aug 9, 2002

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Bigsteve</i>
    <b>If he's going to sell it for $14,000 check www.ebay.com first. You would be surprised at some of the deals you can get on there. Just a few pieces of advice, bid on one close by so you can check it out and if your gonna bid, bid at the last second your only going to get it cheaper. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Ebay isn't as honest as going to your local Mazda dealer. Scam artists go to Ebay for quick cash.

5. Re: i need advice on gettin one

If I were you, I wouldn't take it. A friend of mine is selling one for a little over 12k, it's a '95, twin turbo, and only has 40k on the engine. He's selling it for pretty d*** cheap though, cuz he has another one and just wants to get rid of it.

6. Re: i need advice on gettin one

Well with the rotary engines in alota cases $hit heads were and still are putting synthetic oil in the rx-7. This is a problem because the design of this rotary engine has a tendency to burn a small amount of oil which is fine except that synthetic oils dont really burn they just gum up and this was killing the gaskets in the engine. So if in the history of the car nobody put syntetic oil in it then it should run into the six digits with no major problems.

7. Re: i need advice on gettin one

14k, 80k miles, no rebuild.

I'd buy this car if:
    A) I have 10k to drop into a rebuilt motor and turbos
    B) The rest of the car is IMMACULATE.

You can get rebuilt Rx7s in decent condition for under 20k.

8. Re: i need advice on gettin one

I looking to buy one too. If one were to have a bad engine how much to the Crate engine's cost?

Arent there different kinds as well? 13b etc? i want one with 3 or 4 rotars am i asking for alot? lol

9. Re: i need advice on gettin one

Hey im lookin for a rx7 headlight kits like the one from F&F if you know what im talking about

10. Re: i need advice on gettin one

hey i no this is a lil off topic but...i cnt start a thread since im new but what do u think would win in a race, honda S2000, Supra, integra, or the great RX-7?

11. Re: i need advice on gettin one

Clearly your wasteing everyone's time.

12. #12 1993rx7, Jan 10, 2004
  13. Re: i need advice on gettin one

go to rx7store.net but i prefer the eyelids they have now (i think thats what u call them)