I thought only Ford made 302's.

Discussion in '2000 Chevrolet Camaro 302 Concept' started by Gearheads4ever, Mar 11, 2003.

1. I thought only Ford made 302's, since 1962. Why don't they put a bigger engine in it?

2. Re: I thought only Ford made 302's.

Think it's funny huh? Well actually they could go with a 350 because it weighs only about 70lbs more, and it might not produce more bhp but it has more torque which is better for off-the-line. Also if an owner really wanted to they could put higher compression pistons or use "pop-up" pistons if they will work without destroying the o-rings and possibly the valves. Or they could go with an after market NASCAR style cam with the bigger lobs to keep the valves open longer and use berings instead of the bushings. If they had the money and really cared about their Chevy they could have custom high compression heads made. Of course you could do all of this to a 302 but it costs less for a 350. And if the 302 blew up it would be easier to find a 350.

3. Re: I thought only Ford made 302's.

very true

4. Re: I thought only Ford made 302's.

the only reason chevy used a 302 back then was to comply with road acing rules for competitions and so they souped it up a lot there was no need to make a 350 more powerful so they didn't probably keeping with tradition a bigger engine is going to make more power anyway

5. Re: I thought only Ford made 302's.

6. Re: I thought only Ford made 302's.

7. Re: I thought only Ford made 302's.

You are an idiot. Chevy's 302 is not a very fast engine. It has no power below about 4,000 rpm. Also the 302 weighs about the same. I read an article about the 1969 Z-28 with a dual quad 302 that ran 0-60 in about 7 sec and the 1/4 in about 15 sec. That is not amazingly fast, a 350 would run the 1/4 about a second quicker. Also accourding to you the 350 is horrible, then why do I read articles about 350's with normal aspiration running 10 sec 1/4 miles in 3000+ pound cars? Why do I see 900 hp 350's in Nascar pushing 190 mph? Why do I see Z06 corvettes doing 0-60 in 4 sec and getting 20 mpg? Think before you speak. By the way Chevy started making the 302 in 1967 for Z/28s to win in Trans Am because the could only have a max of 305 CID engines because there was a 5L class and a 2.5L class. Ford used the 289cid until the made Boss 302 Mustangs.

8. Re: I thought only Ford made 302's.

bull shit you cocksucker chevy made the best 302 which was the dz302 which was used in trans am road racing to kick fords ass , i personally own a 69 camaro z28 matching #'s and i know how good it is it will go up to 8000 rpms safely . nascars engines are based off the dz302 and you call that shitty you need to have your head examined. by the way what do you drive?

my cars
    1. 1987 corvette callaway 4+3
    2.1969 corvette 427 4-speed
    3.1969 camaro z28

9. Re: I thought only Ford made 302's.

i own a 1969 camaro z28 (all original ) and have achieved 12.4 @ 116 out of 3 runs .

10. Re:

chevy started the 302 in '67. Ford then brought the 289 up to 302 cubic inches in '68

11. Re: I thought only Ford made 302's.

Ford does not make Chevys.

12. Re: I thought only Ford made 302's.

Here's the origin of the Chevy 302.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    NATURAL FIT FOR SEMA: THE 302 CAMARO REVISITS CHEVY'S PROUD, MUSCULAR HERITAGE

LAS VEGAS-In 1967, the American Muscle Car was on top of the world, experiencing its heyday. Perhaps no Muscle Car captured the imagination like the first-generation Chevy Camaro.

When Chevrolet wanted to take Camaro racing in the SCCA's Trans-Am Series, the folks in the race shop faced a problem: they had the car, but they didn't have an engine. The Trans-Am Series had a displacement limit of 305 cubic inches, and they didn't have anything close to that. They toyed with the idea of using the 283, but instead they created a new engine by mating the four-inch bore block of the 327 (and the 350) with the three-inch stroke crank of the 283, and just barely making the Trans-Am racing limit at 302.4 cubic inches.

This new Camaro with the 302 cid small-block V8 went into limited production and was named after its assigned Regular Package Option (RPO) code designation-Z28-and a legend was born. Camaro Z28s won the Trans-Am Series championship for two years running, in 1968 and '69.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    The 302 is a 4x3 engine which doesn't really start to breathe until about 45-5500 rpm and can be reliably taken to 8 grand in a stock motor. 11 grand is possible with the right pieces but not much lives long up there even the 302. But a 302 will live for a reasonably long time with the right stuff.

It requires good flowing heads, high compression pistons and a big cam with the right valve train to make power.

I'm thinking of building one from a 283 I have but I doubt I'll follow thru for the following reasons.

One it's expensive. Very. An older 283 can be bored out to 4 inches easily for $125 total dipped, squared everything. A used forged crank polished is another $125. Better get it tuffed tho. So throw in some more change.

U will need pink rods with ARP's at least. Better to go better at $100 or so a pop so there's $800. Better go with at least 11:1 superlite pistons so throw in another grand or more with all the goodies.

You'll need at least a 500 cam very agressive and you might as well go roller with all the goodies. You figure that out.

You could use older heads taken out to 202. Better go with at least vector's maybe NASCAR so throw in another grand or two.

You'll need at least a Torker I or probably even more agressive single plane. Maybe more if you're really serious with the more exotic items above.

At least one big pumper at another grand with all the accessories. Or you could go more exotic.

Don't forget your exhaust and other accessories like vacuum canisters, fans, electric everything.

However, there's not many cars making substantial power at 8 to 11 grand. Not very streetable though.

13. Re: I thought only Ford made 302's.

thats what i thought

14. Re: I thought only Ford made 302's.

a 302 SBC is a 4 inch block (302,327,350) with a 3 inch crank which came in the 265/283. One trick way to make one is to use the 350 4 bolt main block with the 265 crank. They are forged steel BTW as is the 283 for the most part. The 265's and the early 283's had smaller counterwts and the crank weighed less. You then use a large journal to small journal kit to fit the 265 crank in the 350.

The 302 is substanially a different engine than the ford 302 being a more square engine. It has to have RPM's to make power by keeping you in the goodie area of the torque curve.

You can use a 307 block but that leaves you with only about 0.080 between the cylinder walls and the jackets.

A 377 or 383 or 400 is a better way to go unless you just want a 302 and turn 8-11 grand. You can get a larger SBC to turn 65-7500 with ease without getting too expensive and that's enough for most people. The 302 will rev higher but it's not much of a driver since you can't use pump gas and most have 4.11 rears which all means lousy fuel mileage.

However they had to stay under 305 to run in that class and a legend was born. What a great sounding car.