Interesting Fact

Discussion in '1969 Ford Mustang BOSS 429' started by ch1c4n3, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Interesting Fact

how do u mean COULD?....isnt that a bit like saying a skyline is officially rated at 280hp, but COULD produce 1200hp??

how much true hp when totally stock?

2. Re: Interesting Fact

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ch1c4n3</i>
    <b>how do u mean COULD?....isnt that a bit like saying a skyline is officially rated at 280hp, but COULD produce 1200hp??

how much true hp when totally stock?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Duh!!!HotRod didn't say COULD, how the hell did you get 280 to 1200 anyway? No stock car could ever produce over 1000hp. <!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Interesting Fact

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Lowriderz</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ch1c4n3</i>
    <b>how do u mean COULD?....isnt that a bit like saying a skyline is officially rated at 280hp, but COULD produce 1200hp??

how much true hp when totally stock?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Duh!!!HotRod didn't say COULD, how the hell did you get 280 to 1200 anyway? No stock car could ever produce over 1000hp. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

well first off get two HKS turbos. second off do a mild port and polish, get new pistons, get a chip, a boost controller, an intercooler bigger than the front end of your car. then you have 1200 hp going through 4 wheels to the ground. biotch.

BTW in the olden days they didnt have very accurate methods of measuring hp and they liked to underrate as well. a 7 liter V8 making 500 hp? could be. but id be more interested in the torque

4. Re: Interesting Fact

I thought it was 375 at the wheels and 500 bhp.

5. Re: Interesting Fact

C'mon r1ceboy...didn't have accurate methods of measuring? Back in 1970? It was just because of the insurance. Something a 1.6L Civic Inline 4 will never have a problem with.

6. Re: Interesting Fact

^^exactly

The underrated horsepower was something Ford did regularily.
    It was for cheaper insurance rates.

7. Re: Interesting Fact

but the power of this beast was 550 hp!

8. Re: Interesting Fact

Actually, yes, to say that the methods of calculating horsepower were less accurate than today's methods is technically correct. "Back in the day," horsepower was a gross horsepower rating, basically see how much horsepower the engine is capable of without all of the power sapping accesories etc. Nowadays the method is see how much horsepower is at the flywheel with everything attached. Underrating the power of cars is still common practice. Think the new Mustang Cobra rated at 390 horses, but is actually closer to 420 at the flywheel.

9. Re: Interesting Fact

ive seen dynos of them haveing jsut under 390 at the wheels

10. Re: Interesting Fact

Well however much it is we know its a hell of alot!

11. Re: Interesting Fact

i dont know exactly how much hp this thing throws out, but i do know its over 450. Me boss has one and he will never let me forget it.

12. Re: Interesting Fact

He he, yeah the Boss has to be the baddest stock Mustang ever.

13. Re: Interesting Fact

so true

14. Re: Interesting Fact

yeah, but do you no why? because its engine is a HEMI!!!

15. Re: Interesting Fact

i have a question where did u hear thuis engine was a hemi causei mean i am a huge ford guy but i have never heard that

16. Re: Interesting Fact

the Boss 429's heads are semi-hemispherical, yes.

17. Re: Interesting Fact

yeah, the boss 429 was considered a hemi, but it wasnt a true hemi, it had a cresent shaped combustion chamber. but it didnt need to be a hemi, its a ford, 'nuf said.

First On Race Day
    Ford Out Runs Dodge

18. Re: Interesting Fact

Ford calls this motor the 429 "Twisted Hemi" because of its semi-hemispherical combustion chamber. Interestingly enough when they first put this motor in the car, the motor was rated at 570HP and 480FTLBS of torque. Like said before though the reason it was so underrated was because it lowered the cost of insurance on the 429 BOSS.

19. Re: Interesting Fact

actually, its a semi-hemi.

20. Re: Interesting Fact

I have a 1970 Coupe like this and i want to make it look similiar to it. i can get the front and rear spioler's, i just don't know about the flared fenders these cars had to accomodate the large front tire's. Also the Boss 429's engine's are almost impossible to find. one boss authority site said it could cost upwards of $30,000 just to buy or build one, i don't know how accurate that is though.

21. Re: Interesting Fact

Those cars are incredibly hard to put together a guy whos owns one in my area said he spent 65000 restoring his(it was the most beautiful thing i have ever seen btw, the guy didn't touch the car, he used a hankerchief to close the hood.), but the payoff was big, it was appraised at 105,000 dollars. Also, you cannot convert a coupe to the boss. The engine cavity was modified and strengthened to handle the huge engine. Even if it was a fastback, it wouldn't realy work right. You can find the parts...but the front fenders aren't the same, as well as various other parts. and as stated before the engines are nearly impossible to find...you'd spend less money putting a 460 in your car. Btw 1970 stangs rock, I have a 70 Grande with a 351...

22. #22 TypeZeroRacing, Nov 22, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Interesting Fact

kewl... but 550BHP?!? It says 275bhp for all i know, and now u get 550bhp? How did you get that?

BTW a little joke at this website: http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/taurus/

I don't hate on Fords but just go check it out

23. Re: Interesting Fact

I own a black 1969 boss 429 mustang with white leather interior. I have to agree that the boss is the best head ever produced. I dunno how many of you guys have drivin these things but they are unconcurable one could say. I get my pride by pulling up by some Honda import and smoking it so bad its as its standing. I also own a 1970 charger with a 454 in it..fast also.

24. Re: Interesting Fact

Mustang Boss V8:
    0-60 mph (0-100 km/h): 1.9 sec........1/4 mile (0-400 mts): 10.55 sec

the best american muscle that was ever made!