is it really that unreliable???

Discussion in '1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo' started by 180 sx burn off e types and m3 bmw, Mar 1, 2003.

1. a high performance imports mag said that the 300zx engine is unreliable and really fragile. is it true?

P.S. is the NA version alot more reliable?

2. Re: is it really that unreliable???

NO, I had an NA and have a TT and both are very relaiable. A high HP 300zx will lose reliability just as any other high HP car would. Anybodt who says different has never driven one and certainly never owned one.

3. Re: is it really that unreliable???

the VG30 is an outstanding engine. i've never had any problems, and never heard about anyone having huge problems (like RX-7's blowing an apex seal). but its true with most cars that the more you build it the more potential there is for something to go wrong.

4. Re: is it really that unreliable???

so there is pretty much no weakness about it

5. Re: is it really that unreliable???

Space is a big disadvantage. Not to mention how hard it is to work on one. If you get a 300zx the first thing you become is a good mechanic. I would highly recommend getting a shop manual ASAP after you buy one. I can help you out of a jam like no other, it also pays for itself the first time you put it to use.

6. Re: is it really that unreliable???

Truly, a tricky engine. The only time I have had mine in the shop (a 1994, had it 3 years)is to replace the alternater. Not mechanical, just wear and tear.

7. Re: is it really that unreliable???

The alternator is an easy DIY job.

8. Re: is it really that unreliable???

My TT Z has done 165,000 miles, starts every time, idles perfectly, and the 3 years I have had it has never been in for any engine work, other than cambelt change.

Stuart

9. Wow, this car is great

10. Wow, this car is great