is it true that it only has one seat in front and two in back

Discussion in '1997 McLaren F1 GT' started by datsun280zx, Aug 10, 2002.

1. <!-- Signature -->

2. Re: is it true that it only has one seat in front and two in bac

Yes. I don't have the time to explain it right now, but I'm sure somebody else could if I forget.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: is it true that it only has one seat in front and two in bac

The car is so fast they had to balance the weight out so they made the design like this. click on the picture below

4. Re: is it true that it only has one seat in front and two in bac

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from CarreraGtRacer</i>
    <b>The car is so fast they had to balance the weight out so they made the design like this. click on the picture below</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

no they didn't do it for weight balance, they did it for optimal driver position, and it allows the driver to sit much farther forward than in normal cars, letting the overall car be shorter and have a shorter wheelbase, making it more deft in handling.

5. Re: is it true that it only has one seat in front and two in bac

Also it allows the fuel tank (which mass varies) to be placed in the center. Also the driver who is always there when the car is movinSince it is placed in the middle it does not matter if it has a full tank or an empty one, it handles almost identical. Also it allows the steering rack to be placed at the optimal angle. Since the passenger seats overlap at the shoulders and hips with the driver, the cocpit is no wider than most other cars with only two seats. The designer Gordon Murray drew pictures of a three seat sports car in his college note books, and he finally realised his dream. Also the center seat gives a different experience than any other car.

6. Re: is it true that it only has one seat in front and two in bac

ok, it is no where near as technical as that, all of your reasons are perfect explinations off added benifits to this seating position. gordon murray, the designer and chief engineer of the McLaren, was put in charge of this project because of his inovative ideas, one of them was to put the drivers seat in the middle, he felt that this was the only way to do it because... and i qoute from the McLaren website "the only place where the driver belongs in a car is in front of th steering wheel, and the only place the steering wheel belongs is smack-dab int he middle. this if because our goal is not to just create a fast car, but make one hell of a fast car that can be drivable aswell.. and this, in my mind, requires a central seating position, for better view, and better steering management at higher speed, when the farther wheel tends to slip during speeds..."
    but i must also say that the point brought up by the other members who have posted here, the fuel tank was put in the middle for the handeling. one inadvertant advantage, and the weight distribution is none the worse becasue of this. second inadvertant advantage.

7. Re: is it true that it only has one seat in front and two in bac

Yes it is quite technical. Gordon Murray even says in "Driving Ambitions" that those are some of the reasons for it.