Longest record holder for top speed?

Discussion in '1994 McLaren F1' started by Pando, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Can anyone show me a reliable source which states that the Mclaren F1 is the car which has held the record for "fastest production car in the world" the longest?

As far as I know the standard Mclaren F1 (actually the XP5 prototype, but lets assume for the sake of the argument that this counts, which is what Mclaren states on their website, and seems to be consensus) held the record from 1994 to 2005, so in other words, has any single street legal production car held the record for a longer period of time than this?

Could someone show me a reliable source for either a confirmation of this fact or a contradiction?

2. I don't know what you would consider "reliable" but Wikipedia has a useful list of cars that have held the record. Just type "fast cars" to find it.

According to the list, the F1 held the record for the third longest period (11 years). Before it were the Miura SV (14 years) and the Duesenberg SJ (21 years).

The amazing part of the F1's dominance was that it held the record through the economic boom of the '90s: the Miura's time was mostly during the oil crisis and the SJ was during the Great Depression and World War II.

3. I'm one of the contributors to the Mclaren F1 article on Wikipedia and (yes, you guessed it) I need this to use as a reference in the Mclaren F1 Wikipedia article -- hence I cannot reference Wikipedia itself (not even another article on Wikipedia).

It is for the opening statement, which is controversial:

"The McLaren F1 was formerly the fastest street legal production car in the world, holding this record from 1994 to 2005, the longest period the record has been held by one car.[citation needed]"

As you can see it has the } tag, and I'm starting to believe this is simply not true.

Thanks for the input anyway, please post here if you come across anything useful.