M Coupe or Boxster S?

Discussion in '2001 BMW M Coupe' started by lilk108, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Yo, which would you prefer, an M coupe or a Boxster S, i would go with the M coupe because it has more horsepower, and has a faster 0-60 time. But the Boxster S has better styling than the M Coupe. what do you think?<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

Out of all the BMW's this is my least favorite in styling. I would buy the Boxter S simply because this one remindes me to much of a Miata. But I would take an M3 or M5 over a 911T.

3. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

I prefer the looks and utility of the M Coupe over the Boxster S.

4. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

M Coupe. You can't beat a roof for supreme handling, even with ancient rear suspension.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

The new S7's as in 7series? Yah man wicked machine. Looks like a ship (as in an Air ship or space ship inside) paddle shift. <!-- Signature -->

6. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

the m-coupe doesnt handle nearly as well as the boxster and its not neerly as nice looking

7. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rmath23</i>
    <b>the m-coupe doesnt handle nearly as well as the boxster and its not neerly as nice looking </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Just how much better does the Boxster S handle than the M Coupe. Everything I've heard has indicated that the M Coupe is a better handler, if a trickier drive.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

Its a close call, but i like the Boxster S more simply because its a more complete car. I've read in the magazines that the Z3's handling is not so great, but then again, with that much power, it is a challenge to find the balance!

And also, Porsche specialize in sport-performance cars, so i reckon they'd do the job better!

9. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

Ok, I'll go with you on the Boxster S handling better; however, I'll still take a M Coupe for myself since it is deffinitely more rigid, and is simply going to be more exciting and challenging to drive.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

The M Coupe is 10 seconds faster at Nurburgring than the Boxster S and 1.1 seconds faster at Hockenheim.
    Road & Track tested a 240-hp M Roadster against the Boxster S last year at Thunderhill, and the M Roadster still beat the Boxster S (2:17.28 vs 2:17.46).

You may think that's pretty close, but consider:
    1) the Boxster S had a 12-hp advantage
    2) the Boxster S was about 180 lbs lighter
    3) the Boxster S's rear suspension is vastly more modern
    4) the Boxster had a 6-speed tranny; the M, only a 5-speed

Now, imagine if they had brought along a 315-hp M Coupe to the track that day...

11. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

Boxster S<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

I kinda like the look of the M Coupe, its different, i would take the M Coupe. I have always hated the boxster tho i love Porsche, i think that they should change the boxster into a more porsche like car (performance wise).

I have also heard that the M Coupe handles better than a Boxster S.

13. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

why are you comparing a 315 horspower against a boxter wich has 250 horsepower? the 911 has 320 horse power. why not compare the 911 to the M coupe? the 911 would kill it, but if i had to pick between the boxter and the M coupe it would be the M coupe. but really the 911 is a better comparason.

14. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from maxpower</i>
    <b>why are you comparing a 315 horspower against a boxter wich has 250 horsepower? the 911 has 320 horse power. why not compare the 911 to the M coupe? the 911 would kill it, but if i had to pick between the boxter and the M coupe it would be the M coupe. but really the 911 is a better comparason.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Yes, the 911 would be a better comparo. If only it'd cost about $30K less...
    For reference, the 996 is 5 seconds quicker at Nurburgring. One-tenth of a second quicker at Hockenheim. Hardly "killing" the M Coupe.

15. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

the only reason i am comparing the boxster s to the m coupe is because the prices...the 911's are 72k, and the boxster is 60k, the m coupe is 45k, but nothing in the 45k range can beat this car...<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

Isn't that the truch except the vett would kill the m coupe and for around the same price. I would pick the M coupe for the fun factor you can swing the tail out easier than the boxter.Both great cars though it just depends on what you want.<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

I think its a good comparison. If you ever read Road and Track or Car and Driver then you would have read the articles and comparisons that they do...ones like this one. For me....M Coupe. Rigidity and power make for more fun. Also it doesnt look that bad.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

the first time i saw the m coupe i thought it was a piece of crap, then i started looking at it more closely and i think it looks much better than the boxster, the boxster is more of a girl car.<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: M Coupe or Boxster S?

This is stupid, a M coupw vs a boxter S? that isn't fair, the M wins it with ease.Better a 3,0 coupe vs the boxter S