M3 vs. Boxster

Discussion in '2001 BMW M3' started by ch666, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

Remove the limiter of the M3 and you'll get approx 280 kmh/174 mph topspeed. Mate o'mine got a BoxsterS and it's an amazingly sweet-handling car, I really love the way you can push it hard into corners and stand on the brakes later than anything.
    I must disagree with the braking-figures though, the BoxsterS has in ALL tests I've ever read shorter braking-distance than any other car, ~34,5-35.1 meters whereas the M3 generally takes ~36.1-37.2.
    Generally accepted among all pro-tuners is that if you want the best brakes there is, get the ones from the 996/Boxster-S(normal boxster has crap ones) which are actually made by Brembo.
    Noone's ever taken brakes from the M3/M5 when wanting an upgrade, go figure.

2. Which one? I'd go with the Boxster cuz it looks a lot better and is faster!<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

Oh, it's this tard again. The Boxster is in no way shape or form faster than the M3. Go slither out from under your Porsche rock and do some research.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferox D</i>
    <b>Oh, it's this tard again. The Boxster is in no way shape or form faster than the M3. Go slither out from under your Porsche rock and do some research.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Yeah that sounds about right.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

Where do these people come from. FASTER? NICER? Ya with dick like exhaust stinking out of the middle. Oh and ya it's a lot faster. You ever look at the boxster or M3 stats in your life. I know you probably won't even remember this but it might help you in future so you don't make an ass of yourself. The 2000 boxster's 0 to 60 is 6.6!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 2001 boxster S's is 5.4. The M3's is 4.7-4.8. Do the math moron, the Carrera doesn't even compare much less the boxster.

6. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

M3, it's probably the most well balanced car there is.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferox D</i>
    <b>Oh, it's this tard again. The Boxster is in no way shape or form faster than the M3. Go slither out from under your Porsche rock and do some research.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yo,
    the only turd I see in here is you punk. The only person that needs to do research is you. Read the facts punk and then go cry to your momma

Porsche Boxster S

Engine Flat-6
    0 - 60 mph 5.5 seconds
    Horsepower 187.9 kw / 252.0 bhp @ 6250 rpm
    0 - 100 mph 13.8 seconds
    Transmission 6-Speed Manual Topspeed 259.1 kph / 161.0 mph
    Weight 1295 kg / 2855 lbs

BMW M3

Engine S51 Inline-6
    0 - 60 mph 5.1 seconds
    Horsepower 255.8 kw / 343.0 bhp @ 7900 rpm
    0 - 100 mph Not Available
    Transmission 6-Speed Manual Topspeed 249.4 kph / 155.0 mph
    Weight 1570 kg / 3461 lbs

For the idiots that say the Boxster S is not faster look again. The only thing the M3 is better at then the Boxster is the 0-60 time and HP. The freakin M3 ways about 600 lbs. more and is 6 mph slower. Porsche is known for handling so the Boxster S would take this on anytime anyplace
    quote Dr. Porsche
    "PORSCHE FO LIFE"
    <!-- Signature -->

8. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from CarreraGtRacer</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferox D</i>
    <b>Oh, it's this tard again. The Boxster is in no way shape or form faster than the M3. Go slither out from under your Porsche rock and do some research.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yo,
    the only turd I see in here is you punk. The only person that needs to do research is you. Read the facts punk and then go cry to your momma

Porsche Boxster S

Engine Flat-6
    0 - 60 mph 5.5 seconds
    Horsepower 187.9 kw / 252.0 bhp @ 6250 rpm
    0 - 100 mph 13.8 seconds
    Transmission 6-Speed Manual Topspeed 259.1 kph / 161.0 mph
    Weight 1295 kg / 2855 lbs

BMW M3

Engine S51 Inline-6
    0 - 60 mph 5.1 seconds
    Horsepower 255.8 kw / 343.0 bhp @ 7900 rpm
    0 - 100 mph Not Available
    Transmission 6-Speed Manual Topspeed 249.4 kph / 155.0 mph
    Weight 1570 kg / 3461 lbs

For the idiots that say the Boxster S is not faster look again. The only thing the M3 is better at then the Boxster is the 0-60 time and HP. The freakin M3 ways about 600 lbs. more and is 6 mph slower. Porsche is known for handling so the Boxster S would take this on anytime anyplace
    quote Dr. Porsche
    "PORSCHE FO LIFE"
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Oh my, someone needs to prepare for some pain, because a world of knowledge is about to be layed down on them.

First of all, I'm going to give you stats for both cars from two different sources, Road & Track and Evo to give them the most possible credibility.

From Road & Track:

E46 M3
    List price: $45,000
    HP: 343
    0-60mph: 4.7
    0-100mph: 11.6
    1/4 mile: 13.6@106.8mph
    top speed: 155mph (electronically governed)
    braking distance from 60-0mph: 112ft
    braking distance from 80-0mph: 200ft
    Skidpad: magazine did not get the chance to properly test this
    slalom: magazine did not get the chance to properly test this

Boxster S
    List price: $49,930
    HP: 250
    0-60mph: 5.6
    0-100mph: 13.5
    1/4 mile: 14.0@100.5mph
    top speed: 161mph
    braking distance from 60-0mph: 125ft
    braking distance from 80-0mph: 219ft
    skidpad: 0.93g
    slalom: 65.6mph

From Evo:

E46 M3

HP: 338
    weight: 1570kg
    bhp/ton: 219
    0-60mph: 5.1
    0-100mph: 12.3
    max mph: 155 (electronically limited)

Boxster S
    HP: 252
    weight: 1295kg
    bhp/ton: 197
    0-60mph: 5.9
    0-100: NA
    max mph: 161

From looking at the magazines' test numbers, we can see that the M3 is a far superior accelerator, and brakes much much better than the Porsche, despite being much much heavier. Even discarding the faster numbers of Road & Track, the M3 drastically outperforms the Boxster S in a straight line; however, we don't have a good picture of how the handling compares. But what we do have is much better: we have track times!

Nurburgring Nordschleife:

M3: 8 minutes 22 seconds
    Boxster S: 8 minutes 32 seconds

Ouch, looks like the M3 lays it down at the Ring too, but we want to be complete, so let's look at a shorter course too...

Hockenheim:

M3: 1 minute 17.6 seconds
    Boxster S: 1 minutes 18.3 seconds

...and damn, the M3 is faster there too! And that may not seem like a lot of time, but that is indeed a lot of time on a track that short.

So, in conclusion, we can see that the M3 chews up the Boxster S and shits it out all over the sidewalk, and for less money too. The Boxster S is a fine car, but it isn't in the same league as the M3 and nothing less than the Ruf 3400S really is. I've done this kind of thing in the Boxster S forums before, which you are certainly familiar with, but I guess I didn't do a complete enough job. This time I hope you can get the picture.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

Like Ferox D listed, the M3 can do 0-60 in 4.7 seconds (R & T). Actually, Road and Track did a testing of the M3, Z06, and the 911 Carrera about a year ago and the M3 came out on top. If an M3 can outhandle, out-accelerate, and result in better braking times (60-0 in 2.6 seconds) than the Boxster does not stand a chance. Plus the M3 has a cheaper price tag and offers luxury, tc control, and city/sport mode. Who in their right mind would pay more for a Boxster when the M3 offers more and then some for a cheaper price tag?<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

maybe in your opinion its nicer, but there is NO WAY IN HELL it will beat an M3.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

Seriously, who is this guy? Even the 330xi, which is way cheaper can compete with the Boxter S, and the 330i can not only compete, but actually beat the regular Boxter. For the price of a Boxter, I'd (and I think everyone else) would get an M3. <!-- Signature -->

12. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

Also ask yourself why the S, being 90 bhp down, is so close to the M3 on Hockenheim?
    Because it can brake later and keep higher cornering-speeds than the M3, on a REALLY tight&curvy track the S will most probably be quicker whilst on an open one the M3 will of course make use of it's more powerful engine.

13. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

considering your talking in kmph and metres your obviously on the metric system, aust, nz? anyways, motor magazine tested perfomance car of the year, the M3 won. Not only that its braking distance was 30.2 meters from 100 ks nothing like what your mentioning, and it beat the 911 at winton

14. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

Scandinavian.
    Sorry but NOTHING, I repeat nothing has ever been tested in any place of the world having a braking 100-0 of 30.something meters(unless it was done in 40-degree uphill...)!
    The figures I quote here in consistently proved between British mags Car and TopGear and German mags Auto,Motor&sport and SportAuto.
    I doubt even NASCAR or formula-1 can get that kind of stopping-distance, I know a bloke who have this GroupN racecar(Peugeot) that weighs like 850 kilos and is run professionally and very well, he gets around 32 meters and that's way better than anything on the street. M3 usually gets it's awards due to the fact that it can seat 4 people and have a decent boot, it's running more or less head to head with the 996 on most tracks but on Nurburgring, the famous test for best-overall-package, the M3 gets 8.22 and the 996 8.17, Box-S 8.32 so here bhp pays off but cornering-abilities even more so as Corvette for example gets 8.40!

15. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

okay, i'll double check it with the mag. Your right, i #$%#ed up, its quoted at 30.6m for 100-0 braking distance, it even says "braking distance of just over thirty meters wasn't shabby either."

16. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

it was tested at avalon airport on the tarmac. Not uphill. And i know porsche make good brakes i've got a set of their calipers on my car with E30 M3 discs and brembo pads they are definantly the goods

17. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

For all people who doesn't know the real topspeed of the M3. It is much faster than the Boxter. The Topspeed is 278kph!<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

if u say the boxster is faster... then i say u must be comparing the boxster with the (E30) M3. when it comes to looks... it depends, some people like the (E46) M3 more because it is more low profile. last thing is... compare the boxster to the M roadster next time... boxster and M3 are in different classes.<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

Well, first thing... what in the bloody hell were you smoking when you wrote that???!?!!?
    Theres no way the boxter is faster and i think the M3 looks better.
    oh, and it seats 4 with their weekend gear.

20. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ch666</i>
    <b>Scandinavian.
    Sorry but NOTHING, I repeat nothing has ever been tested in any place of the world having a braking 100-0 of 30.something meters(unless it was done in 40-degree uphill...)!
    The figures I quote here in consistently proved between British mags Car and TopGear and German mags Auto,Motor&sport and SportAuto.
    I doubt even NASCAR or formula-1 can get that kind of stopping-distance, I know a bloke who have this GroupN racecar(Peugeot) that weighs like 850 kilos and is run professionally and very well, he gets around 32 meters and that's way better than anything on the street. M3 usually gets it's awards due to the fact that it can seat 4 people and have a decent boot, it's running more or less head to head with the 996 on most tracks but on Nurburgring, the famous test for best-overall-package, the M3 gets 8.22 and the 996 8.17, Box-S 8.32 so here bhp pays off but cornering-abilities even more so as Corvette for example gets 8.40!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I'm pretty sure that the M3 has better braking than the Boxster S. Here are times recorded from Road and Track:

Braking from 60 mph, ft. :

BMW M3- 112 ft.
    Boxster S- 125 ft.

Braking from 80 mph, ft. :

BMW M3- 200 ft.
    Boxster S- 219 ft.

There's your proof and there is no chance of Biased because Road and Track is an AMERICAN car magazine that doesn't favour any Euro car over the other whereas you may get that sourt of biased in a German or Euro car magazine that favours Porsche.<!-- Signature -->

21. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

actually... im pretty sure the z06 came out on top... but nonetheless the m3 is far better than the boxster

22. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

Ferox, In the german magazine Sport Auto they also test a M3 vs S4,
    on the small hockenheim the M3 did 1.16.3min, the boxter S cannot beat the M3. The S4 did 1.18.1min if u like to know.

M3 0-100 5.0sec
    0-160 (100mph) 11.4sec
    0-200 17.9sec
    100-0 35.2meters

S4 0-100 5.4sec
    0-160 12.1sec
    0-200 19.9sec
    100-0 40.3meters

Why did he even a compare a boxter S vs M3, it's stupid.

23. Re: M3 vs. Boxster

the m3 by far, it looks nicer, and can seat more people