Mazda and its rotary engines

Discussion in '2002 Mazda RX-8' started by Real Rotary, Aug 10, 2002.

1. #1 Real Rotary, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from blaze4eva</i>
    <b>rotary engines are better but less people know about them and so if something goes wrong your kinda screwed. but they are better cuz they have only three main moving parts compared to the internal combustion engine's 50 or so. meaning it has less friction so greater power. i dont know too much about it but i think more rotors and larger displacement is more difficult to create using rotary but it doesn't really matter does it? mazda 787b no turbo 2.6 liter engine quad rotary makes 700 hp and won lemans. so.....YOUR WRONG</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Actually, all car engines are internal combustion. If you would like to learn more about the rotary and how its displacement and everything works, go to www.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm <!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

YOU PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!!! OTHER CARS DONT HAVE THE ROTARY BECAUSE MAZDA OWNS THE RIGHT TO IT!<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

good call<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

rotary engines are better but less people know about them and so if something goes wrong your kinda screwed. but they are better cuz they have only three main moving parts compared to the internal combustion engine's 50 or so. meaning it has less friction so greater power. i dont know too much about it but i think more rotors and larger displacement is more difficult to create using rotary but it doesn't really matter does it? mazda 787b no turbo 2.6 liter engine quad rotary makes 700 hp and won lemans. so.....YOUR WRONG

5. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

Do you even realize the new rotary redlines at 10 grand from the factory? Making it replace the S2000 as the highest reving production car when it goes on sale. And cheers to ford for allowing the return of the Rotary.
    -clerkick
    81 Rx-7

6. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

Cheers!

Mazda RotaryŽs strikes again!

get ready for it<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

there were corvette concepts way back in the day with rotary engines, the XP-897GT concept used a 2.2 liter 2 rotor engine.

8. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

I agree w/ the ford comment. I hope Mazda makes a high power version of the Renesis (quad rotor miata ...). Why doesn't Mazda produce more cars with these engines? I know there are problems with exhaust pollution, but supposedly they've found a way to solve that.

9. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

Real Rotary your the idiot. Mazda bought the rights for the Wankell Rotary engine from NSU which is own by Citreon. GM even has rights to the engine. Think about things before u talk out your ass.

Anyway, the rotary engine has 3 combustion parts per revolution, compared to a normal four stroke's 1 every two revs. I can't wait for this car two come out it the turbo for. Its gonna set those nanderthal V8 boys in their place.

10. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

The Germans invented the rotary.

11. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

Actually, Ford orginally wanted to scrap the rotary. It was the work of Mazda Engineers out of their own time to build up the rotary from the 13B to the Renesis it is now.

Check out Road & Track for more details.

12. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

mazda now has the oportunity to go way up with rotaries. It is proved that rotaries are superior engines, they just have to make some more adjustments, they already started with the renesis, but they can do more.

with the 2 rotors mazda can keep up with high displacements v6 or v8 and with 3 rotors its enough to kick some v12 azz.

of course 4 rotors for the w16 ;-)

13. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

DEFINITELY well put! i can't wait to see what Mazda has in store for the RENESIS and the RX-8. If they continue on their present course, the RX-8 could be the next ULTIMATE supercar. They should definitely improve the body style though....

14. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

The Rotary engines are definately the way of the future. They are fast, rev high, and fuel efficient. I am definately glad Ford kept the rotary program going.

15. Re:

Rotary's are overated. Sure they're impressive and all, but it doesn't take a genius to think one up. My father drew a picture of one while sitting in middle school in the 50's a couple year before wankell even came out with it and pattened it. The only problem my father had with it was that at the age he was in middle school, he couldn't figure out how to work the fuel or combustion or whatever he said. If Wankell hadn't of pattened the engine, there would probably be many more under different names today. If a middle schooler back in the 50's could think one up, I wouldn't think this is the great technological future to engines that one guy said up above.

16. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

The rotary engine isn't mechanically complex, but it's still a very good design. It has a power to liter ratio that no other kind of engine can match. This means that the RX 8 can have a very short wheel base witch means it can turn hard. It also means that the 250 hp 1.3 liter RX 8 engine could fit in a Mazda Miata with plenty of room to spare (the Miata has a 1.85 liter engine). It also means that it's fuel efficient and reliable.

17. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

The rotary engine isn't mechanically complex, but it's still a very good design. It has a power to liter ratio that no other kind of engine can match. This means that the RX 8 can have a very short wheel base witch means it can turn hard. It also means that the 250 hp 1.3 liter RX 8 engine could fit in a Mazda Miata with plenty of room to spare (the Miata has a 1.85 liter engine). It also means that it's fuel efficient and reliable.

18. affordable Mazda exotic supercar

Considering the weight vs. performance you can get from a rotary (as demonstrated by this car, the RX-7, the 787b, etc.), I wonder if Mazda couldn’t make a rotary supercar (the RX is not a real supercar)... and make it (semi)-affordable?

It seems to me that what really raises the cost of most exotics into the stratosphere (besides the low production runs) are the expensive materials used in their construction to save weight (titanium, carbon fibre, ceramic, etc.). Now if Mazda built a ~500 hp (probably three rotor) normally aspirated (Renessis-derived) rotary engine even out of fairly common materials (aluminium & steel) it would be (I assume) significantly lighter, smaller, and cheaper than an equivalent piston engine. If such a motor was mated to a good (but not extravagant) mid-engine aluminium chassis (a la the NSX) I don’t see why such a car couldn’t be made in relatively large numbers for ~60 grand US?

Assuming the chassis, drivetrain, and engine-block are very high quality, people could mod the rest of the car up a la the Skyline – adding carbon panels, turbos, better brakes, lighter engine components, or whatever else they like – and still come out ahead price and performance wise of anything else on the market.

Also, I remember reading that the new Mazda rotary (in the RX-8) runs significantly below capacity in order to keep emissions down, and all that’s needed to increase its output significantly is a software change (again, a la the Skyline). If that car - or more to the point a Mazda built supercar - was equipped with a special 'track mode' which disabled emissions controlls (and also things like turn signals to keep people off the street while in 'track mode' and the EPA happy) Mazda could have a practical, affordable, street-legal daily driver and world-beating exotic supercar in one package.

19. Re: Mazda and its rotary engines

I was wondering about something. Would it be possible to take this renesis engine and put it into some other lighter and smaller car such as hmm, an old mini cooper :D ? I mean, it's pretty compact so it would probably fit and its also very light (121 kgs according to Gabriel Gelinas, some car tester from here). Or into any other small cars, like the lotus elise. Or make a slightly smaller version for motorcycles. What do you guys think? Wouldn't it turn those vehicles into beasts?? I think it would be a pretty interesting backyard project, provided someone has the money to do it.( It would obviously be necessary to change transmissions and harden frames, but I dount it would increase the overall weight of those vehicles so significantly)