Merc S-Class convertible: open-air limo planned

Discussion in 'European Cars' started by SupraMan, Jun 27, 2012.

1. #1 SupraMan, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Mercedes-Benz S-Class convertible: open-air limo planned

By Jez Spinks | June 23rd, 2012

http://www.caradvice.com.au/178577/mercedes-benz-s-class-convertible-open-air-limo-planned/

The next-generation Mercedes-Benz S-Class will include a convertible variant in a range that is being expanded in response to the demise of Daimler’s ultra-luxury Maybach brand.

Mercedes insiders have revealed exclusively to CarAdvice that the S-Class convertible will be based on the company’s Ocean Drive concept (pictured) shown at the 2007 Detroit motor show.

While the ill-fated Maybach brand launched a Laundalet model that featured a vast slideable roof top, the S-Class – like the Ocean Drive concept – will be a more traditional convertible with a folding fabric roof.

The Mercedes Ocean Drive concept was notable for featuring four doors, though while our sources say some within the car maker wanted to retain them for production the new S-Class convertible will have two doors only.

That will make it identical to the Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe in design philosophy – including a four-seat layout – though in terms of price tags the S-Class convertible will be significantly more affordable – in relative terms, of course – than the circa-$1.35 million British model.

The new-generation Mercedes-Benz S-Class goes on sale in 2013, though the convertible will follow further down the pipeline.

The S-Class convertible, however, will share the new S-Class’s new suite of technological innovations, such as Magic Body Control that is designed to create a magic carpet-like ride by using cameras to scan the road ahead and enabling electronically controlled dampers to adjust pre-emptively to smooth out any surface bumps.

As a Mercedes-Benz that permits open-air motoring, expect the new S-Class convertible to feature the company’s Airscarf neck-warming technology.

Airscarf debuted in the 2004 (second-generation) Mercedes SLK two-seater roadster, though the system, which pumps warm air through vents incorporated into the seats, will also feature in the S-Class convertibles rear two seats.

As a niche model in the Mercedes-Benz S-Class line-up, the convertible is unlikely to be offered with the same number of engines as the sedan.

Expect a torquey diesel to be among the drivetrains offered, as well as a powerful V12 like the one beneath the bonnet of the Mercedes Ocean Drive concept.

2. farken love that concept

3. I guess something has to replace the Landaulet that no one bought.

4. I think Birdman has [the only]one

5. Nah that wad the exelero

6. I dunno about this. I think the Rolls can pull off this stunt, because it's a Rolls-Royce. The S-class might be a bit too...subdued for this sort of thing.

7. I never understood 2 door limos. Climbing into the back seat of a coupe is easily the least dignified and clumsiest movement possible. Imagine a hollywood starlet crawling out of the back of a two door. It would be ok when the top is down, but if it's raining and there is a roof there, its going to get ugly.

8. He has a Landaulet. I don't think he ever bought the Exelero.

9. #9 Veyronman, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016

10. Ah. Im sure there are more though

11. Looking forward to seeing Merkel rolling around Europe with her right arm raised in one of these.

12. blowing her nose with 500 euro notes

13. is it 4 doors?

14. impossible to tell , if only there were pictures at the top of the thread we could look at to see.

15. No, there are at least three. I've seen black, white and silver.

16. congrats

17. looks very SC 430

18. "That will make it identical to the Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe in design philosophy – including a four-seat layout..."

the pics are of a concept much older than these news

19. another returning member?!
    you had a 430 iirc

20. That Ocean Drive concept was awesome