Minimum cylinder displacement

Discussion in 'Car Comparisons' started by chornedsnorkack, Jan 20, 2010.

1. How much displacement does a cylinder of a benzine burning, 4 stroke otto engine need to function?

Many engines with large number of cylinders are big engines. But not all are.

For example, the early, 1950s Ferraris have just 2 l displacement for V12. Just 166 ccm per cylinder.

How would the performance of a 2 l Ferrari V12 compare against a 2 l ordinary straight-six or flat-four? And how would the space taken up by the engine compare?

BRM built a V16 racing car with under 1,5 l displacement. Just 93 ccm per engine.

Would you prefer a 1,5 l V16 or a 1,5 l inline four?

2. isnt like, less cilinders, more torque, when same displacement?

3. I'm no expert, but I would say #$%# no to that.

4. it basically ends up as a tradeoff between cycle efficiency, reliability, and friction.

more cyls tend to increase cycle efficiency, but decrease reliability and increase frictional losses.

5. i know they posted the pitpass forum link, but her is another answer if your still reading this.

because the 2l v12 has smaller pistons and probably a much shorter stroke. the pistons are one lighter, and are probably capable of higher rpms vs longer stroke heavier piston 2L 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder.

because the parts are lighter, they can spin faster. going off the basic formula

hp = (torque x rpms) / 5252

in the v12 i can replace torque for rpms, string that v12 to 9k rpms probably. even if that v12 only produced 300hp at that rpm i need just 175ft lbs of torque. pretty doable with that small of a engine.

but even take a 2L 4 cylinder NA tuned engine. Like the 250R Zetec motor.

it produces 250bhp at probably a much lower 7k rpm vs the 9k, and ~185 torque, because of its heavier pistons and longer strokes

but given that, the 4 or 6 cylinder would more than likely put out more torque but not always

at any rate you will be looking at the applications...

if i had a extremely light car (less than 2400lbs) and built for track use, i would choose a 1.5L v16 turbo producing some stupid 800bhp...

for economy normal car use, the 1.5L inline 4...

6. welcome back

7. I'd love to have a light mid engined sports car with a small displacement, over-square flat plane crank V8 such as those found in a lot of 60s and 70s Italian sports cars.

Something like the one in the Alfa T33 Stradale would be perfect:
    "The race-bred engine bore no relation to the mass-produced units in Alfa's more mainstream vehicles. Race engineer Carlo Chiti designed an oversquare (78 mm bore x 52,2 mm stroke) dry-sump lubricated 1,995 cc (121.7 cu in) V8 that featured SPICA fuel injection, four ignition coils and 16 spark plugs. The engine used four chain-driven camshafts to operate the valve train and had a rev-limit of 10,000 rpm. The engine produced 230 bhp (172 kW) at 8,800 rpm in road trim and 270 bhp (200 kW) in race trim."

8. thanks, been awhile since ive been active but with all my new free time, ill be around.

good to see your still active as well