Neil Armstrong

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Thebdm, Aug 25, 2012.

1. 'Sad' is close to the word, but not quite. His family and friends, I'm sure, are devastated. However, to the public at large, this isn't a tragedy. The man was 82, with heart problems. Without the personal affection, or any tragedy there to make you feel truly sad, the feeling is one of reflection on one of the greatest lives ever lived: a decorated test pilot, navy officer, war veteran, and professor of engineering. Those alone put him head-and-shoulders above the vast majority of people, without the exploratory milestone more impressive than Leif Ericson's.

Every once in awhile there is a moment, and I'm sure this has happened to everyone in the free world, and probably everyone else in the world too, where in some sense you feel yourself to be an American. It's never about apple pie or baseball or the ritual of college football. It's because when the Americans have set a goal, they are they are the world's only juggernaut, and have triumphs and tragedies that are on a scale that is uniquely theirs. So when we see tragedies like when we saw Challenger break apart, or the morning of Sept. 11; or when we see triumphs like when we saw the shuttle launch, when we see an image from Hubble, and perhaps most of all when we spend a thought about the time a man walked on the Moon, there is a force that compels you to strip yourself of the petty politics of the world, and embrace the event as yours to share, as a citizen of our planet; as a cousin, no matter how distant, of the characters in the human stories of whatever spectacular failure or success. In my mind, that's how big Armstrong was.

2. beautiful

3. A real human being, and a real hero

4. I sorta take issue with the word reflection because it implies no emotional attachment. When people, the idea of a person or, as the case may be, a person as a symbol for a much bigger idea become conflated the opportunity for emotional attachment does exist

I probably won't do a very good job of explaining this but to me, there are very few living legends; very few people whose mention evokes an idea much bigger than their individual accomplishments (which in his case were tremendous). Niel Armstrong was the man we chose to take us past our farthest frontiers of exploration and as such became a figure head for no less than the sum of human accomplishment up to his historic first steps on the lunar surface. I hope the gravity of that statment is not lost.

When a living hero dies, there is an emotional tug that is felt, no matter how irrational the pity at the passing of a geriatric heart patient with whom we had no acqaintence might seem. Personally I was sad. Not the type of sad when a loved one dies, but the sort of sad that is the necessary outcome of an object of admiration passing. While non of his accomplishments will diminish in death, the fact that he is no longer with us means something.

5. Armstrong? Obviously a great British heroe, rip

7. not wise for the janitor to lower the flag on the moon landing sound stage

8. That flag also disintegrated by now from radiation and stuff.

9. I heard it was stil up but it turned white

10. nobody knows unless they go back and look at it

11. brb czeching moon flag

12. lol @ this

but yes, sad

13. Why lol @ this??

14. because old git

15. pretty sure you and maybe chris v are the only people who post on this site who were alive at the time of the first moon landing

16. they recently figured out its still there by its shadow

17. came here to post this

18. #44 marcusmv3, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    epic:

'A scientific colleague tells me about a recent trip to the New Guinea highlands where she visited a stone age culture hardly contacted by Western civilization. They were ignorant of wristwatches, soft drinks, and frozen food. But they knew about Apollo 11. They knew that humans had walked on the Moon. They knew the names of Armstrong and Aldrin and Collins. They wanted to know who was visiting the Moon these days.'

-Carl Sagan / Pale Blue Dot
    http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/25/13479053-track-the-torrent-of-online-tributes-to-moonwalker-neil-armstrong

19. #45 Veyronman, Aug 28, 2012
    This is cool

20. #46 AutoX, Aug 28, 2012
    Kinda makes you think there's hope for humanity. And then you look at Mark1 or what I consider a fun weekend and realize just how boned we are.

21. haha wow such a pessimist! i had no idea, you seem like a genuinely positive person, and i thought i was too cynical/negative. not to say youre being too cynical, you have a valid point.

but humanity is gonna be fine. and we can still do blow every once in a blue moon

oh shit

22. It's more observation. I mean I have a double major degree in econ and history with good enough grades to do a masters. I could contribute something meaningful to society and had the ability to, but now I create artsy food for rich wankers as a junior sues chef in fine dining and put various substances up my nose, down my throat etc every weekend. choices...

23. dude you should have absolutely no shame in what you do. at the end of the day you can go home and say you made something tangible that people enjoyed which is a lot more than most people can say about their livelihoods when you think about it.

after xxxxx amount $$$$ its all what you make of it as long as you can take care of you and yours

im hoping to run a place one day. the privlieges of being self-employed are underrated, especially in this country

24. most people don't end up with a job that they've studied for. it's normal. do whatever the #$%# you like.