No V6 Planned for Pontiac Solstice Coupe

Discussion in 'American Cars' started by ajzahn, Mar 26, 2008.

1. NEW YORK — There are no plans for a V6 engine in the lineup for the upcoming Pontiac Solstice coupe, confirmed Jose Gonzalez, the creative lead designer of the vehicle, in a recent online chat on GMnext during the 2008 New York Auto Show.

The GMnext team pre-empted some questions by asking Gonzalez if "GM plans to offer more engine choices than what is currently available with the coupe. Is there a chance of a V6 in the lineup in the near future?" The base 2009 Pontiac Solstice coupe models get the same 173-horsepower 2.4-liter inline-4 as the roadsters, while the GXP coupes get a 260-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter engine. Gonzalez confirmed there is "no V6 in the lineup. No other engines in the lineup."

He also was asked if there is "any hope of ever seeing an AWD version? Or for that matter any GM Performance base AWD turbo?" Gonzalez responded: "I don't think you're going to see the Solstice in an AWD application" because of concerns that it would be "adding a lot of weight."

Gonzalez was also asked if a ZOK (SCCA) package will be offered on the Solstice coupe. "We haven't made plans on the ZOK package yet," he said.

He said the 2009 Pontiac Solstice coupe is bound for showrooms early next year. (Edmunds.com)

2. Ooook, was anyone actually expecting one?

3. Good. A V6 would absolutely destroy whatever balance the car already has.

4. LOL at morons hoping for a V6 and AWD

5. What about VTAK it has to have VTAK

6. I love how people think they could just add awd if they wanted to without totally redesighning half the car.

7. They have a turbo 4 engine option. I wouldn't seem to make sense to also offer a V6.

8. v6 would be shit in this car. turbo 4 is way better anyways.

9. LS5X!

10. *canadians

11. I've never even heard of this

12. srsly

13. good? If I want more cylinders Ill get a mallet LS7 conversion.

14. good? If I want more cylinders Ill get a mallet LS7 conversion.

15. LOL, I rather have a LS engine instead

17. i drove a pontiac solstice it felt like a cavalier

18. who cares anyway?