Only a V6

Discussion in '1994 Jaguar XJ220 S TWR' started by Ramdex, Dec 28, 2003.

1. come on people sure it has 507.1 kw but it is only a V6 with 2 turbos. and the paint is just wrong. I would have sacked the person for painting the car that colour

2. Re: Only a V6

Okay,I agree that the color is horrendous.

BUT!This thing that would be absolutely stunning in another color makes 680HP!!!That is just ridiculous!I dont care that it's "only a V6"
    I WANT ONE ANYWAY!!!

3. Re: Only a V6

It was originally designed with a v10/12 cant remember but the colour oh my god thats ugly.

4. Re: Only a V6

The XJ220 was originally designed with a V12 and 4 wheel drive but these were dropped so it could qualify for group-c racing. It would have been interesting to see the performance as a V12 4 wheel drive.

5. Re: Only a V6

Ya "only a V-6". I don't intend to flame but look at the Porsches. +400 bhp on only a Flat-4 or Flat-6. If they put in that technology like GM is doing for their cars, ya know, the Variable Cylinder usage thing, this car would get some hella good mileage for something looking this good. The mileage would then tank after the turbos started cranking.

6. Re: Only a V6

Did you know that there was Mustang funnycar that went a bit faster than this? If you don't beleive me pick up this months Motor Trend. BTW im no Ford guy im just passing this along.

7. Re: Only a V6

it was faster in a 1/4mi, theres alot more to a track then a straigt line.

8. Re: Only a V6

corners, for example

9. Re: Only a V6

This is only a work of my imagination, but think:
    If you would make a V12 from these V6 cyl. blocks?
    It would be quadraturbo(4 turbos) like new bugatti veyron and it would have 1000+ hp. That would be real monster XJ220 (It could be called XJ440)
    Propably this will never happen and im not sure it would be even possible but still...so sweet to imagine...

10. #10 oranom, Jul 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  11. did u know that any top fuel can beat a funny car? if u dont belive me then ask anyone.

12. only a v6, your dumb. and to that other guy its called a 220 because its top speed was 220.

13. What's funnier is that the basic V6, if I remember correctly, was borrowed from a humble Austin Mini-Metro (sometimes referred to as just an Austin Metro) TWR must have sprinkled fairy dust or some shit on it to get it to the standard that it's at in these cars!

14. The V6 was chosen over the v12 because it wasnt as heavy, was smaller, could sit lower in the chassis, and didn't need as large radiators. They made up the cylinder deficit through forced induction.

15. Wow, a modified drag car went faster. Never saw that one coming.

16. only a v6..psh. buick grand nationals. single turbocharged 3.8L VEE-SIX. the last few years of it's production (86-87, possibly 85 can't remember) was faster than the corvette of the same years. which at the time the C4 was one of the fastest. but i know someones gonna call me stupid for all that but it was faster in the 1/4. and like it was mentioned. you wanna race you need a 1/4 mile stretch. you wanna have fun you need at least 2 miles and about 15 turns. and they did make like 2 or 3 V12's before they switched to V6's right (talking in general, not production cars).

17. #17 mls, Feb 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    The XJ220's engine originated from the MG Metro 6R4 rally car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Metro

18. Well yeah, I'm sure the space shuttle is faster than this too, but what does that have to do with anything? This is a production car and you're talking about a purpose build racecar.

19. Well Guys. Actually..this thing was chosen to use the Bi-Turbo 3.5 V6 in orignal road models because the V12 made the car almost a foot longer which would have been way way too long. They also used the V6 because it managed to produce the requested 550HP with less weight, and also meet emissions which the V12 didn't. The V6 does sit lower, have more power, and makes the car shorter, so the engineers OK'ed the design and it went into production. Itneresting History eh? Tiff Needel did a segment on it for BBC's Top Gear a few years ago.

20. First of all Motorhead, the xj220 never ran in group c. Group C was for purpose built prototype racers like the 962, Sauber c9, Jag XJR-9, etc... The XJ220 raced in the slower GT class. And a 12 cylinder would not have disquallified it from group C. The sauber had a v8, so its not like group C cars had to have 6 cylinders. Then one of u knuckle heads said that there was a limited production of 12 cylinder 220s. Wrong. The only v12 model was the original concept car. Ok, maybe there was more than one v12 concept XJ220. But the v12 was scrapped before preduction because of cost issues, not overstear issues. A lot of people were actually pissed because they placed an order and expected a v12. Then you guys are #%!@ing about "only" a v6. The Porsche 956/962 that dominated group c and Le Mans throughout the 80s was a 6. "Only" a 6. A car can be awesome and have a six cylinder. Lastly, someone was talking about a Ford funny car beating a Jaguar XJ220. So what. Funny cars are exclusively drag cars. Dont ever expect a super car to beat a drag car in 1/4 mile. Ever. If the drag car didnt win anyways that would be a crap drag car.

21. First of all Motorhead, the xj220 never ran in group c. Group C was for purpose built prototype racers like the 962, Sauber c9, Jag XJR-9, etc... The XJ220 raced in the slower GT class. And a 12 cylinder would not have disquallified it from group C. The sauber had a v8, so its not like group C cars had to have 6 cylinders. Then one of u knuckle heads said that there was a limited production of 12 cylinder 220s. Wrong. The only v12 model was the original concept car. Ok, maybe there was more than one v12 concept XJ220. But the v12 was scrapped before preduction because of cost issues, not overstear issues. A lot of people were actually pissed because they placed an order and expected a v12. Then you guys are #%!@ing about "only" a v6. The Porsche 956/962 that dominated group c and Le Mans throughout the 80s was a 6. "Only" a 6. A car can be awesome and have a six cylinder. Lastly, someone was talking about a Ford funny car beating a Jaguar XJ220. So what. Funny cars are exclusively drag cars. Dont ever expect a super car to beat a drag car in 1/4 mile. Ever. If the drag car didnt win anyways that would be a crap drag car.

22. First of all Motorhead, the xj220 never ran in group c. Group C was for purpose built prototype racers like the 962, Sauber c9, Jag XJR-9, etc... The XJ220 raced in the slower GT class. And a 12 cylinder would not have disquallified it from group C. The sauber had a v8, so its not like group C cars had to have 6 cylinders. Then one of u knuckle heads said that there was a limited production of 12 cylinder 220s. Wrong. The only v12 model was the original concept car. Ok, maybe there was more than one v12 concept XJ220. But the v12 was scrapped before preduction because of cost issues, not overstear issues. A lot of people were actually pissed because they placed an order and expected a v12. Then you guys are #%!@ing about "only" a v6. The Porsche 956/962 that dominated group c and Le Mans throughout the 80s was a 6. "Only" a 6. A car can be awesome and have a six cylinder. Lastly, someone was talking about a Ford funny car beating a Jaguar XJ220. So what. Funny cars are exclusively drag cars. Dont ever expect a super car to beat a drag car in 1/4 mile. Ever. If the drag car didnt win anyways that would be a crap drag car.

23. First of all Motorhead, the xj220 never ran in group c. Group C was for purpose built prototype racers like the 962, Sauber c9, Jag XJR-9, etc... The XJ220 raced in the slower GT class. And a 12 cylinder would not have disquallified it from group C. The sauber had a v8, so its not like group C cars had to have 6 cylinders. Then one of u knuckle heads said that there was a limited production of 12 cylinder 220s. Wrong. The only v12 model was the original concept car. Ok, maybe there was more than one v12 concept XJ220. But the v12 was scrapped before preduction because of cost issues, not overstear issues. A lot of people were actually pissed because they placed an order and expected a v12. Then you guys are #%!@ing about "only" a v6. The Porsche 956/962 that dominated group c and Le Mans throughout the 80s was a 6. "Only" a 6. A car can be awesome and have a six cylinder. Lastly, someone was talking about a Ford funny car beating a Jaguar XJ220. So what. Funny cars are exclusively drag cars. Dont ever expect a super car to beat a drag car in 1/4 mile. Ever. If the drag car didnt win anyways that would be a crap drag car.

24. -v6 TURBO it is.

It beat a pigani zonda with a v12.(I got the video)

25. -v6 TURBO it is.

It beat a pigani zonda with a v12.(I got the video)