Re: '03 Viper vs. '03 GT40

Discussion in '2002 Ford GT40 Concept' started by TAWS7, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Some people are so stubborn

2. it's still in the same class.

3. And set in their ways

4. yeah i know a person like that

5. Both cars are impressive. The Viper has 25 lb/ft torque more than the GT40, and the GT40 has .1 bhp more than the Viper... it's a close "fight". I prefer the Viper, but if I could got one, I would be afraid of a GT 40... and viceversa, If I had a GT40 I would be afraid of someone who has a Viper...

Long live to Vipers.

6. Ya know what? If you were drivin a Z06 along and came to a redlight, you could actually beat a GT40!

7. Because if you had had more experience, you'd get a better launch. And that gives you a good chance to beat him. Maybe not smoke him, but you could beat him

8. dan that's like saying "oh but the GT's got a supercharger! and that's not fare! but if you were to put that supercharger on the Viper or Vette they'd win" it's just not right

9. the Viper is going to have a very hard time trying to beat the GT. 3.9 is good but i think we all wanted better.... i really wish Car and Driver would print the times into the hundredest like Motor Trend because my guess is that the time 0-60 was 3.98 or something very close to 4 seconds. look i think we've all seen the time Motor Tend got (4.12) and IMO if those are the kind of times the Viper's getting then the GT will do very very good in this fight.

10. MAN WHatever you guys. If the GT44 is anything like the old one the GT44 will kill the viper. (if your talkin straight line all the way viper). But if your talkin anything else the GT44 will eat the Viper. The Viper can hold corners well, but once it loses grip see ya later. Also I am extremly Certian the GT40(44) is a far more balanced machine in performance and technology. Plus Heritage.

My money is on the GT44 as without question.

11. Re:
    '03 Viper vs. '03 GT40

does any one noe if dis car is coming to australia bcoz its a spectacular car and it will giv holden fans run for their money on its hrt 427 beast

12. my guess is that they won't because they're only making 3 this year and then after that they're only making 1000 a year(or at least that's what they're planning on).

13. Either one is good for me!

14. I say The Ford GT would win in any race because of its low profile. It is much more aerodynamic and light weight. Ford has also been better with engines than dodge. I say the Viper don't stand much of a chance at all.

15. First off this is fords best car I have seen in a decade. The name plate has gone to shit. Second the viper is a fast car but the build quaility is atroucious. Thats the only way dodge can make 500 hp and 500 foot pounds of torque in a eighthy grand car. Hell you can cook eggs in the cabin because of the heat the exhaust system releases the block isn't zinc lined nothing on the car is galvanized it just brakes it self over the course of it's 50000 mile lifespan. The dodge is built like shit but it is still a kick ass car. The gt40 would win by a hair. That is only because of the basic v10 in the viper if dodge redesigned and made it a modern engine it would be the most bad ass car around.

16. Gt40, lighter than the Viper

17. is it just me or am i the only one who wants to beat his skull and crush it with a torque wrench

18. Dont get me wrong i love vipers but u put a regular GTS or SRT-10 aganst the GT40... the viper wont stand a chance.

19. I'm sure these observations were made on your personal Viper?

Cooking eggs on the car hmm? You do realize the car would never reach those temperatures under normal driving conditions, right? It was a very hot day on that test, and those shots of the eggs and popcorn were taken after LOTS of performance testing. Any car will reach substantial temperatures under circumstances like that. Also, the eggs weren't cooked in the cabin at all, but on the ledge as you enter the cock pit, and only then because the exhaust is routed through there because too much heat was rising into the cockpit when it was routed underneath the car.

Also, I've seen a few Vipers and while it'll never be mistaken for a Benz, the build quility is far from atrocious.

20. DRAG RACE GT40 WILL WIN... A 5.7 LITER V8 IS MUCH LIGHTER THAN A 8,3 LITER V10 WITH SAME HP. I'D SAY THE GT40 WOULD BE BETTER AT EVERYTHING WITH MORE HERITAGE IT WOULD ACTUALLY BE CALLED THE FORD GT. IT COSTS MORE BUT IS WELL WORTH IT IF YOU ARE RICH.I'D LIKE TO SEE CHEVY CHALLENGE THIS AREA THE CORVETTE IS LAGGING AND CHEVYS NEEDS A 5OO HP TRUCK LIKE FORD AND DODGE WILL BOTH HAVE BY 2005 .

FORD AND CHEVY AND DODGE HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER AND KEEP HONDAS IN THERE PLACE AT THE BOTTOM

21. Hate to break it to you, but Honda is already far above "the big three". I don't want to explain it now, but let's just say that Honda makes one "prestige" supercar while the "big three" have none, Honda has far better build quality on their cars, name one Hybrid that any of "the big three" have - meanwhile Honda is going to turn the NSX into a performance hybrid (if you don't know what that is, I'll be happy to explain).

Furthermore, Honda's lowest end model (the Civic) outperforms all American cars in its class.

I think American manufacturers should be kept in their place and stick to the only thing they can do right, producing trucks, and oversized SUV's...oh, wait they can't even make good SUV's, ok then, just trucks.

22. you're such a freak! you have no idea what you're talking about. let me start by asking what you're talking about with that "Honda makes one "prestige" supercar" crap!? if you're talking about the NSX then let me tell you that the NSX isn't really a supercar, it doesn't even have 300hp and a BASE Corvette gives it a good fight on the track and drag strip.

Civic? outperform? all American cars in its class? did you just look at the stats for the Focus SE or were you just guessing and hoping you were right? any idiot who got the Sep. 2002 Car and Driver knows that the Civic SUCKS in ALL preformance areas. 0 to 60 is 9.3secs for the Civic, 8.4 for the Neon, 9.6 for the Focus (which is the only car it beats), 8.2 for the Sunfire/Cavalier. i'm sorry (not really) but *gasp* you're wrong....... again.

The Big Three are coming back and aren't going to go away. so back off or throw a bunch that i can feel.

23. Wow, ONE article, generally the Civic SI is CAPABLE of doing 0-60 in 6.8 but the rated time is 7.5, Sunfire/Cavalier in the high 8 second range, what makes the Sunfire go so fast? is it the pathetic (for this day and age) 130 hp? Got news for ya, someone in my dorm had his parents buy a 2002 Sunfire for him, he ryced it out, and still my STOCK (except for the high flow exhaust system) 1990 SI is faster than it (not only by personal racing experience between us, but also by the rated acceleration time - 8.2 0-60). The Focus SVT is actually faster than both those in 7.3, 6.7 on a great run, so it's actually faster than all of those. The only Neon that does 0-60 in less than 7 seconds is the SRT-4, and it's NOT in the same class, dolt. Anyway, when I say the Civic is faster than all other cars in its class, I'm referring to the Type-R (the jdm version being capable of 6.3 in 0-60), few magazines have compared them. The Focus SE does 0-60 in 10.3 jackass. Do you even know what the SE is? it's a bloody stationwagon, not the hatchback. I'm going to assume that Car and Driver achieved those times by granny-shifting (wow, shifting at 4000rpm is NOT considered pushing a car to its limits), as I've seen even them achieve faster times with all those cars. So, I apologize for your idiocy, but your times are way off, even if they do come from an unreliable magazine.

"throw a bunch" that you can feel? who's the freak? lol

Honda makes one well built supercar, the NSX, "prestige" has absolutely nothing to do with performance dimwit, and go sit in an NSX and just try to tell me it's not prestige. As far as performance goes, you've likely not realized this but the NSX performs better than it's power figures suggest, and despite the manufacturer's claim of 290hp (which it's not supposed to have above) it actually has just over 300hp, check any dyno test for the NSX (don't forget to add the 15% hp lost on the drivetrain). What makes the NSX a Supercar is not the engine that keeps it just barely in running competition with the majority of Supercars in its class (Corvette Z06 comes to mind), it's the superior handling that allows it to compete quite evenly with the cars in its class, which is why when you see a skilled driver behind the wheel, it is generally right up there (and often just ahead of) the Corvette C-5R (Speed GT championship - 1999-2002, granted it's a Supercharged racing modified NSX against a hardcore modified racing Corvette). Basically only the NSX-R is even competition with the Z06, hey, ya gotta compare the top model vs. the top model don't you? Tell me, how many STOCK American cars have achieved a Nurburgring time faster than 7:56? Z06 isn't one of them, C5-R did, but that's not street legal now is it? Racing modified Viper's have, but they don't really qualify as (again) they're not street legal.

HP isn't truly what defines a supercar, you should know that. And see what happens when the 2005 NSX which is (rumoured) going to have the drivetrain from the Dualnote concept powering it, think about it 400hp, 450lbft, AWD (with 25% of the power going to the front wheels), in a chasis that's lighter than the car that achieved a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds, with the critically praised (acclaimed is just not the right word in this case) handling of the NSX chasis, perhaps shitheads like you will stop talking smack because you prefer a cheaper, faster car that's just not as well built. Christ, what you're saying is really no different than saying that the future production Mustang GT with 500hp is going to be better than the Corvette Z06, we all know it's not, but some people would make that claim, and that's exactly what your comments are reminiscent of.

24. I dont care too much on looks because ill take either. They both will have heads turn like a *****--probably the GT more than the Viper because no one has ever seen the GT and most people havent even seen a GT40. What im questioning is the performance. They both have 500hp/500lb engines but the GT has a V8 while the viper has a V10 but the GT's curb weight is much less. So the outcome is questionable.