Re: 120bhp nightmare to americans

Discussion in '2002 Lotus Elise Type 72' started by PsychezCol, Aug 10, 2002.

1. well sed.........

2. im an american, and the lotus elise with its 120 hp is still my dream car regardless of where i live

3. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TailGate</i>
    <b>The elise isn't more expensive than a vette! maybe it is in america because they know it wont sell there. As i said before it was not built to compete with vettes although i do agree with vader the vette boy because heez not makin the vette out to b sumthin its not.... now lets talk bout the elise......</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->after converting the british currency over to american it would cost just as much as a vette and they don't come to america because they don't pass crash test and general vehicle safety restrictionsthis car in a strait line would get eaten alive by the buick the camaro and the vette and around the turns it would beat the buick the camaro and match the vette it is still a great car just as long as you don't crash in it it wouldn't be pretty<!-- Signature -->

4. crash the Elise?........hmmmmmmm

And I say again.......u can't just convert currencies when you are talking about car models.

British buyers pay up to 50% more on some cars than they would do in Europe..........British car prices are the highest in the world.
    Prices are determined on the country they are sold in.

Why are we even comparing a Corvette to an Elise..........since when were they aimed at each other?<!-- Signature -->

5. If you would please take the mclaren F1, compare it to the Dodge Hennessy Viper Venom 800TT, you will notice that the Viper kicks the Mclarens rear end. THe Mclaren F1 is fast, but nothing compared to Viper Venom!

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sledehammerdude</i>
    <b>If you would please take the mclaren F1, compare it to the Dodge Hennessy Viper Venom 800TT, you will notice that the Viper kicks the Mclarens rear end. THe Mclaren F1 is fast, but nothing compared to Viper Venom!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Good joke.

7. 120bhp nightmare to americans

This car is amazing and has been since its original release in 97 was it? Anyway nowhere else in the world could a road car produce this small amount have such a potent 0-60 time. Think this was impressive, check out the exige!!! however this was critisied for being more of a track car due to lowered suspension making it impractical. blah blah blah, beat that USA- u need a V8 5.0l to produce these speeds.

8. I don't think this car will ever get the respect it deserves in America because they'll just look at the stats and say "120bhp!........My Viper had 600bhp....etc"<!-- Signature -->

9. The Anti-American sentiment on this site is pathetic. Generalizations will get you nowhere.<!-- Signature -->

10. >>The Anti-American sentiment on this site is pathetic. Generalizations will get you nowhere.

Thing is its true. Its not a generalisation. The majority, vast majority of americans on this site always talk about how the corvette will own anything with extra $$ spent on it and how this car or that car doesnt have enough bhp.

Anyway it depends on the track. This car is incredible in the corners. But any track with a fair amount of straights will mean this car would need more bhp.

And anywy, on the road unless you go dragging and thats about it. Straight line is all you want then yes this car aint for you.

But if you like to go around corners quickly then this car is for you.

And on the road I dont think you'll be going around to many corners at more then 180kph anyway. Or not very often at least.<!-- Signature -->

11. No, it is a generalization. In america there are millions of car enthusiast in America that get cars like this. It is just that the majority of the people posting on this site are immature little kids. Do not base judgements of Americans by these forums.

12. Yeah, I'm an American, I love a lot of cars. There are a few I don't. But I never ever would rip on an Elise or anything else from Lotus. People think you need a lot of power to survive in America. Maybe you do, but I don't. I would be just as happy spanking Civics with an Elise on a track as I would be spanking Camaros.<!-- Signature -->

13. Thank you, Elise.

To say it's not a generalization, and then make one is hypocrisy in its purest form. I don't give a damn where a car comes from. If it's built well, and at least puts up decent numbers for whichever class it's in, then I'll admire it.

It's like the MR-S. There're a lot of people who say it sucks because it's slow compared to a Trans Am or a Vette. Whoopty shit! It's not made to compete with either of those. It's made to compete with the Miata and other small roadsters. It's small, light, and handles very well.

Anyways, that's the end of tonight's rant. lol

Have a good one guys. <!-- Signature -->

14. Yeah, f*ck all the hipocrits out there. You lousy bastards.<!-- Signature -->

15. I agree with the both of u who cares if it can't beat a vette. Like u said it puts out decently for a small roadster and it looks much nicer than a shity vette or camaro. And i am not saying this cuz i live in germany or a place that makes imports.<!-- Signature -->

16. I cant see why people even bother posting crap like this. "Night mare to Americans?" Yeah, 17.2 seconds to reach 100 is sure to make Camaros and Mustangs everwhere piss their pants...

The Elise isnt even in the same class with any American muscle car. It's designed for small tracks with handling at highest priority. Thats what the Elise should be repsected for (just like Honda's Type Rs), anyone trying to pit it against 350hp musclecars is just degrading the reputations of true Elise enthusiasts.

17. Vette_pro
    Well said!!!!
    At least some people seem to understand the Elise<!-- Signature -->

18. I dont know where ur logic is about defending some1 who is quite frankly takin tha piss out of lotus.
    I DO understand lotus an i know it wasn't built to compete with vettes because its was built to be unique. I was just pointing out how close the 0-60 times are between the vette an lotus considering the vette is 340bhp and the lotus is only 120bhp.

19. Hey tailgate. U are gay. Just thought everyone ehould know, but tailgate is a fudgepacker. He's been goin back and forth in different forums totally contradicting what he's said in another forum.<!-- Signature -->

20. Maybe you should learn to write on your way to the Mental Institution.

21. HEY, I DIDN'T ESCAPE. THEY GAVE ME A DAYPASS AND I'M NOT GOING BACK. I do know how to write, I don't think I mispelled a word. So go play with your butt-plug. You bastard.<!-- Signature -->

22. #22 bob777, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TailGate</i>
    <b>This car is amazing and has been since its original release in 97 was it? Anyway nowhere else in the world could a road car produce this small amount have such a potent 0-60 time. Think this was impressive, check out the exige!!! however this was critisied for being more of a track car due to lowered suspension making it impractical. blah blah blah, beat that USA- u need a V8 5.0l to produce these speeds.

</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The Pontiac Vibe isnt even a sporst car and it has over 200hp.

BEAT THAT!!!

Chevy Malabu 170hp. BEAT THAT!!!

Chevy Impala 200hp. BEAT THAT!!!

Chevy Cavalier 140 hp. BEAT THAT!!!

need I name more. AND yes they are all V6. If you dont believe me Go to www.chevrolet.com <!-- Signature -->

23. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TailGate</i>
    <b>This car is amazing and has been since its original release in 97 was it? Anyway nowhere else in the world could a road car produce this small amount have such a potent 0-60 time. Think this was impressive, check out the exige!!! however this was critisied for being more of a track car due to lowered suspension making it impractical. blah blah blah, beat that USA- u need a V8 5.0l to produce these speeds.

No, that isn't impressive. My friend did some mild work to his CHEVETTE engine and is running faster. Gees, running 16's and same 0-60 out of a 1.6L engine that is over 15 years old. Total cost inc car is under 1000 bucks.<!-- Signature -->

24. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TailGate</i>
    <b>I dont know where ur logic is about defending some1 who is quite frankly takin tha piss out of lotus.
    I DO understand lotus an i know it wasn't built to compete with vettes because its was built to be unique. I was just pointing out how close the 0-60 times are between the vette an lotus considering the vette is 340bhp and the lotus is only 120bhp.
    For 0-60 times, the difference between the vette and lotus is very large. Also, the vette runs a larger gearing spread.<!-- Signature -->

25. Tailgate is an idiot. Anything he says is verbal BS.<!-- Signature -->