Re: 2002 911 v.s BMW M3

Discussion in '1987 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.3 Cabriolet' started by BMW Freak, Aug 10, 2002.

1. The 1999 model 996 was rated at 296Hp from the factory and proved itself capable of running CONSISTANT 0-60 passes at 4.7 seconds. The new version is up to 320Hp from a motor with two tenths of a liter more displacement than the previous variant. My father has owned Porsches, I've been to the club meets, I've talked to the test drivers, and the 2002+ 2WD Carreras are capable of running 0-60 in 4.5, and that's undisputable fact. As far as the LeMans series races go, you have to remember a few things, namly that Porsche hasn't had a factory team running in those events in at least 3 years. What you had were fully funded factory BMW teams running aganist private teams running Porsches on much tighter budgets. Another thing you may want to remember is that Porsche has more overall wins at LeMans than any other manufacturer in history, and that record speaks for itself. And I'm not sure if you follow racing closly enough to know this, but BMW threw a massive fit a few years back because Quattro equipped Audis were kicking their collective butts around practiclly every track in the European Touring car leagues. They whined so much, that Quattro Audis got banned for having an "unfair advantage" and Audi was forced to move back down to their FronTrac models. BMW has a bunch of whining, snivleing idiots running thier race program. They declare themselves the best in the world when they win, and then cry their eyes out and have hissey fits when they lose. If the M3 was really such a superior machine, you wouldn't have to justify purchsing one by posting biased and uneducated blather on a posting area designated for the Carrera. If you're happy with the BMW, I'm happy for you; I'll be content behind the wheel of a Porsche knowing I've got the real "Ultimate driving machine".

2. lol a M3?! To this?! LMAO!!!<!-- Signature -->

3. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 944turb0</i>
    <b>lol a M3?! To this?! LMAO!!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Funny ain't it.<!-- Signature -->

4. The porsche might be faster and stuff, but i'd rather have the M3 because when are you actually gonna go that fast? Not to mention that the M3 is more comfortable and has more room....i used to have a 911 and it's not very comfortable.

5. Man, I love all the totally ignorant Porsche fans, all over this site, and all over the world. All you idiots totally hide behind your aging Porsche badge. You didn't give a single fact, track time, or anything. All you said is shit like "No way the M3 can compete with a 911!".

N'ring times

E46 M3 - 8 minutes 22 seconds

996 Carrera C4 - 8 minutes 23 seconds

Driver for both is Horst Van Saurma

Don't get me wrong, I love Porsche, but I'm not so ignorant that I just ignore the fact that the M3 is faster, or at least as fast.

Angus

6. Man, talk about biased blather from a fan! The C4 was only .01 slower than a RWD M3 around a dry track!! The RWD Carrera would smash the M3 on a dry track, and on a wet course, the Carrera 4 would smash it too! The M3 is a HOT car, but it will not compete with a Porsche in the real world.

7. Didn't you just read what I wrote, your the exact type of person I'm talking about! When you say smash the M3, do you mean lose to the M3? Because thats what happens. You're a total idiot. The 911 is an overpriced car for people who just want to buy a name.

Angus

8. You just don't understand...Grow up and then comeback.

9. I'm not quite sure if this comparison is fair; however, a 996 Porsche Carrera 4S clocked in a 8:16 around the N'ring. I think the C4S has more modified brakes and handling over the C4, though. A 996 Carrera would not "kill" an M3 on a track. The two cars are pretty much on par with eachother. The race results can go in favor of the M3 or in favor of the 911 because the performance figures are so close. In the end it comes down to the driver. Angus, you're entitled to your opinion; however (in my opinion), if you have ever driven a Porsche, you'd know that it's everything but overpriced.

10. Hahahaha, you jackass, you don't know shit.

11. See the problem with Porsche is the dumb fans such as CarreraGT, whose only possibly opinion is "the M3 would get spanked". In Canada, the C4S comes out roughly to $130K, and the M3 comes out to $80K. For 6 seconds its not worth out, especially considering that the M3 seats 4 comfortably.

I hate it when people say this, but when the M3 CSL comes out, I really think that it will destroy the 911 for the same price. But We'll have to wait and see on that. I've heard rumors that it did an 8 minute lap around the N'ring.

Angus

12. The M3 CSL will be a very worthy car; however, if you bring the M3 CSL into this arguement, it's fair game to bring in the Porsche GT3. My cousin picked up a used low mileage GT3 in Germany (he lives in Sweden) for $50,000 (U.S.), so I'm assuming it's not too pricey. Any true Porsche fanatic knows how well the GT3 performed on the N'ring (low to mid 7:50s). Anyway, this arguement grows stale. This debate is no different from debates such as "the 'Vette Z06 is way better than M3 for the same price" and "the Porsche 996 Turbo will kill a 360 Modena for 50 grand less". The Porsche fans will always think that Porsche has the edge just as well as the BMW fans will always think that BMW has the edge. Facts won't change opinions.

13. The M3 CSL will be a very worthy car; however, if you bring the M3 CSL into this arguement, it's fair game to bring in the Porsche GT3. My cousin picked up a used low mileage GT3 in Germany (he lives in Sweden) for $50,000 (U.S.), so I'm assuming it's not too pricey. All true car lovers know how well the GT3 performed on the N'ring. Anyway, this arguement grows stale. This debate is no different from debates such as "the 'Vette Z06 is way better than M3 for the same price" and "the Porsche 996 Turbo will kill a 360 Modena for 50 grand less". The Porsche fans will always think that Porsche has the edge just as well as the BMW fans will always think that BMW has the edge. Facts won't change opinions.

14. The M3 CSL will be a very worthy car; however, if you bring the M3 CSL into this arguement, it's fair game to bring in the Porsche GT3. My cousin picked up a used low mileage GT3 in Germany (he lives in Sweden) for $50,000 (U.S.), so I'm assuming it's not too pricey. All true car lovers know how well the GT3 performed on the N'ring. Anyway, this arguement grows stale. This debate is no different from debates such as "the 'Vette Z06 is way better than M3 for the same price" and "the Porsche 996 Turbo will kill a 360 Modena for 50 grand less". The Porsche fans will always think that Porsche has the edge just as well as the BMW fans will always think that BMW has the edge. Facts won't change opinions.

15. But I'm saying, even though I'm a BMW fan, that they are completely even in performance. But the problem is you guys have mega retarted fans like CarreraGT. You have a lot of them. It seem a lot of fans, not Stuttgart, but most are really uneducated, and just think its faster because its a porsche.

Angus

16. #41 AshenShadow, Sep 6, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    According to Motor Magazine's "Performance Car of the Year 2002" roundup in April, the M3 does beat the Carrera overall, but not by much. The top 6 were as follows:

1. BMW M3
    2. Porsche 911 Carrera
    3. Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VI
    4. Mazda MX-5 SP
    5. Porsche 911 GT2
    6. Subaru Impreza WRX STi

In a dry track environment, the GT2 cleaned up, followed by the M3, Carrera, EVO VI, STi, and MX-5. The M3 and Carrera, though, were only 0.5 of a second apart. The lap times were around 1 min 40 seconds for both cars, so that's a tiny margin. As far as other areas were concerned, the Carrera was penalised for not being quite as driveable as the M3; one of the test drivers even went so far as to say it's almost as if the M3 is "hard-wired to your brain." In addition, dynamics, design and value were points where the M3 prevailed. For the Porsche steadfasts out there, the only real reason the GT2 placed where it did was due to its massive price; easily enough to buy an M3, a Carrera and an STi at once. I definately wouldn't knock a Carrera back though, it's a tremendous piece of engineering which, alongside the M3, sits back and laughs at the world of turbochargers. Probably the only factor which truly allows daylight to pass between these two cars is a matter of AUD$40k, or around US$20k. Nothing, really, when you consider the initial prices of these cars. I prefer to see them as equals.

Motor Magazine website: http://www.motormag.com.au

17. 911 0-60 4,5 sec? haha that's bullshit
    it's 5,0sec and the M3 accelerates faster to 200km/ph

The reason why they gave the 911 320hp is to keep up with M3(300hpversion was to slow).

I have driven both cars and I like the M3 more,the 911 was a bit boring, maybe cause it was a tiptronic, but i'm very happy with my M3.

18. You know what Stugart your absolutley right. It is show nin the quote above. Carrera GT does not understand that just because you like and anjoy a car does not mean YOU ARE SO IGNORANT THAT YOU THINK IT CAN BEAT ANYTHING. Exoriar obviously likes BMW but he is not so ignorant to think it could beat a 911 or a McLaren F1 like some ignorant assholes.

19. the 911 is faster and better around a track but the m3 is still awesome and possesses some vague sense of practicality, the 911 doesn't. u could have an m3 as ur only car and u would be strugg;ing to do the same with a 911.

20. Didn't you just read my post above? I clearly stated that it wasn't faster around a track, READ DAMMIT READ.

Angus

21. Hey check out these 911 Pics!

22. Nice pics. Yes, this on-going debate, I've heard it everywhere. Both respected though. But i'd save the extra pennies just to get a porsche just because I trust the company and its dedicated racing history and I love the beautiful elegant curves on its body much more than any other car. The cockpit maybe smaller than that of the M3, but unless you're family man or constantly hauling extra bodies being the taxi driver or whatever, who really needs the extra space? If you need the extra space then the category of 'sports-cars' should be reconsidered on your list. I'll accept and respect the stats if the M3 is faster or whatever but i'd stick with a basic 911 any day.

23. small hockenheim ring times
    M3 1.16.3min
    911 1.16.7min

it's very close, but dont't say the 911 is much faster then the M3 cause it aint, both cars drive almost the same times on every track