Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette. 2

Discussion in '2002 Mazda RX-7 Spirit R' started by mariowrc, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

i think the vette would win but i need to see so stats first such as: 0-60, hp, and top speed!<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

its not really far to compare there r no perm. stats but if i had to guess i would say the vette

3. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from jaguarkid02</i>
    <b>i think the vette would win but i need to see so stats first such as: 0-60, hp, and top speed!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

well u cant say the vetter would win cause u dont know what vette ur comparing it to. what kinda vette u talkin bout lambo?<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

It would be close but I think the vette would lose. It's a great car but the rx7 is known for the modifications and how light it is. It would be great to see a drag race between the two though.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

But I'm talking th Base C5.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

ooo this would be a good drag race, one i might pay to see. im not sure, the corvette has the experience and years, but way the RX-7 is going it might have a advantage...opinions?<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

Well BigWillman, your dad must be the man that everyone in the world must go to for car knowledge i guess because he has been a mechanic for 30 years and like domestics, man he is god! My dad has been a mechanic for 35 years and is the head mechanic for Lexus and he likes imports.

also HP/l is very important because it shows off technology and efficiency. I mean the "gay civics" you guys hate are highly efficient and produce the HP because of technology. i mean the S2000 is the prime example, it is 120HP per liter. Ferrari 4L V8 400HP, even turbo cars that u guys hate are highly efficient, Supra 3L Twin Turbo 320HP, Skyline 2.6L twin turbo 280 ( really around 320HP ), Evo 6 or 7 Turbo 2L 280 ( again really 320HP ), give these engines more boost in completely stock form can creat massive HP and torque but they simply hold back because it is not needed and it is more fuel efficient. Also HP/L is very important for racing, if a Formula 1 car had the HP/L of a american car it would be like 197HP, but because of technology and efficiency they creat close to 900HP but let me guess that is not good because it is a not a 8L V10. HP/L is always important and u cannot say it is not, well u will because americans can never win in this fight.

In a recent test with the Sun International Lotus elise ( Integra Type R engine 1.8L ) Vs the Mustang Cobra R

HP elise: 192HP
    Mustang: 385HP

Wieght elise: 1700LBs
    Mustang: 3.590LBs

0-60 elise: 4.4secs
    Mustang 5.3Secs

60-0 elise: 119feet
    Mustang: 122feet

Road Course Elise: 1:03.50
    mustang: 1:06.25

skidpad elise: 1.02Gs
    mustang: .95Gs

slalom speed ( 700ft slalom ) mustang: 70.4MPH
    Elise 72.9MPH

and the most important tot he american guys the 1/4 mile

ELISE!: 12.6seconds at 110MPH!
    mustang: 13.5 seconds at 108MPH

So there you have it efficency wins, actually the elise is efficient in every way, its wieght, brakes, engine and handling and don't say oh this isn't an import, oh yes it is and it is partly japanese. And the price issue doesn't come into play because they cost the exactly the price! even in the end all of all tests of skid pad ( all u guys talk about anyway ) and 1/4 again all americans care about, the lotus wins by a wide margin. Face it efficiency if king, i know u will not agree but the facts are there.

Also skid pad tests are decieving because all the tires sizes are different, more tire of the road equals more grip, the RX-7 tires aren't as wide as a corvette put the same size times on the RX-7 as the Corvette and it would pull alot higher numbers that the Corvette, or switch it up put the same size tires the RX7 has stock on the Corvette and the corvette will pull alot lower numbers than displayed. also if u wanna just put up skid pad tests japanese cars easily keep up with the Z06

Supra .98Gs
    Skyline .95Gs
    Evo6 .96Gs
    RX7 .96Gs

or not japanese ( or partly japanese )

Sun International Lotus Elise with Intergra Type R engine
    1.02Gs!

in short imports rule no matter wear they are from!

8. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

I am sorry but all you American Muscle heads are ignorant.

Dont mean to offend...but everytime a sweet car like this comes about you compare it to a american muscle car..!
    it is totally true.... you are comparing a 1.3L Rotary engine to a 5.7 L V8....ovcourse the 5.7L engine is going to win....why are you people so irnorant....like everything else...

Look at Road And Track Magazine.. I believe it was the Feburary issue where they compared the Z06 Corvette to the Porsche GT2 and it got beaten...you can't compare a Porsche with a corvette...the name porsche is legendary...corvette is GARBAGE..!!!

Then in the next months issue the compared the Z06 to the new NSX and the porsche 911...and ovcourse like every other comparison the Z06 has a 5.7L and the Porsche has a 3.6L and the NSX has a 3.2L.....
    and the whole article is about how the Z06 has more power....
    oh my god it has a 2L displacement advantage ofcourse it is going to have more power....

The Z06 by the way is totaly crap like every other american car...this is so true...all american cars make horsepower by displacement....they have a huge engine that makes less then 100 HP\L ...all those muscle cars have pushrod engines...this is a technology that was made in the 1950's....everyother manufacturer in the world switched to overhead cam engines...because they see the advantage....ohh I guess that the whole world is wrong and american manufactuers are right!!!!!

9. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

I wouldn't have made this If I didin't think the Two Competed. With a name like LamboOwner Do you think that I am an American Muscle Car Fan? No. These two do compete. The Rotary is a powerful engine. And the RX-7 is much lighter. But as you mention the Corvette has a bigger engine. The engine also Weighs the car down. <!-- Signature -->

10. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

This vs. a base C5, rx-7 would win. But against z06 there would be no chance. I also agree tough, look at engine size- huge difference.

11. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

I know.....you sound like a exotic car fan or someting along those lines......the 1.3L rotary is probably like equal to a 2.4 L engine...because the way that the rotary engine is it is more like a 2 stroke engine....there are no valves....(I have worked on many Rotary engine before)

in a handling contest I think that the RX7 will win...maybe not a drag...a Z06 is supposed to 1/4 mile in 12.4 sec...that is mighy quick

12. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferrari4ever123</i>
    <b>I am sorry but all you American Muscle heads are ignorant.

Dont mean to offend...but everytime a sweet car like this comes about you compare it to a american muscle car..!
    it is totally true.... you are comparing a 1.3L Rotary engine to a 5.7 L V8....ovcourse the 5.7L engine is going to win....why are you people so irnorant....like everything else...

Look at Road And Track Magazine.. I believe it was the Feburary issue where they compared the Z06 Corvette to the Porsche GT2 and it got beaten...you can't compare a Porsche with a corvette...the name porsche is legendary...corvette is GARBAGE..!!!

Then in the next months issue the compared the Z06 to the new NSX and the porsche 911...and ovcourse like every other comparison the Z06 has a 5.7L and the Porsche has a 3.6L and the NSX has a 3.2L.....
    and the whole article is about how the Z06 has more power....
    oh my god it has a 2L displacement advantage ofcourse it is going to have more power....

The Z06 by the way is totaly crap like every other american car...this is so true...all american cars make horsepower by displacement....they have a huge engine that makes less then 100 HP\L ...all those muscle cars have pushrod engines...this is a technology that was made in the 1950's....everyother manufacturer in the world switched to overhead cam engines...because they see the advantage....ohh I guess that the whole world is wrong and american manufactuers are right!!!!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I wish people like you would read some of these forums before you post. The whole hp/litre discussion has been exahusted, and it has been shown to be pointless. The build quality of Vettes is great. The handling is great. Read the articles on the Vettes and see for yourself. Look at some SCA auto-x stuff. The Vettes do great. Yeah, they use displacement, so what. Displacement is cheap, effective, and reliable. Compare the Z06 to the GT2 and it is very competitive, for about 1/3rd the cost. Less actually. Whats so bad about that? You can sream HP/Litre when you lose the race, who cares? Someone else mentioned how the Vette loses in the gas milage catagory, and it probably does, but it still gets 28 mpg on this highway, which is incredible. "All you american muscle heads are ignorant." LOL. You dont know sh**. Except what a bunch of imports only types told you maybe. This will do quite well against a C5 yes, against the Z06 no, and that means in the twisties as well. Assuming this is the turbo. That makes sense, you could get one of these for about 30K when they were avail. in the states, and even allowing for inflation, that means much cheaper than the Vette.<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

I might aswell rename myself GOD cuz here we go
    the this vs base C5 drag course handling on skid pad all of it the vette got smoked becasue this isn't a base model Rx7
    next lets say Z06
    the Z06 ain't that shabby but it ain't all that everyone seems to think it is
    drag vette slight and i do mean slight advantage = more torque
    handling vette = smoked weight/engineering
    course track what ever vette = smoked/ just cuz
    Just to bring this comparo some light in the early 90's the rotary 7's had just under 300 hp 280 to be exact (most ppl know the jap pact to not make more than 280 hp) this with that regulation now gone prolly estimated at about 330 in a car that weighs much less than integra let alone vette
    good night
    <!-- Signature -->

14. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

Well, if you're talking about this RX-7 right here, then it would outdo the stock C5 Corvette, basically because of its light weight and the fact that it should cost about $20,000 less, because I'm thinking a Corvette would cost around $58,000, but then again, I don't want to know and I don't even care. (That was for all of you American car fans bragging about how cheap American cars are)<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

the vette would win, but the rx-7 has like a 125hps disadvantage...i think

16. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from mikestl15</i>
    <b>Motortrend is wrong, this car does 0-60 in 4.8 Seconds, it also does the q/t mile in 13.5 seconds i believe.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->The motor trend specs that i quoted were for the corvette, and are correct.

The specs i gave for the Mazda, are from Mazda, I think they have some idea what their car is capable of. But just to make it even, i will put GMs projected performance for the vette with a standard transmission

0-60: 4.5
    1/4: 13.22
    top speed: 175

It is not common for car makers to overstate (usually slightly like this example) the performance of their car. Not the hp and tq but the performance. I think that mazda, like i said, I think that mazda knows what they are saying when they give their vehicle's performance vitals

17. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from bigrob</i>
    <b>look, Chevman, technology comes in many places, Japan is one of them. Using the laws of physics you cannot get incredbly large hp and tq from small disp engines, it doesnt happen, so that is why they use forced induction (to try and imitate displacement) by cramming more air and gas into the same space. That does not make a car better or worse, jsut different. I am not personally a big jap car fan, i think that too many of those cars are designed for one purpose and then pretend to be used for another (aka civic) and i think tht too many of those cars have been over hyped and over rated (aka skyline) and i think that too many are jusk ugly (aka supra) but just because they are from a different continent doesnt mean that they are bad. Yes HP/L is retarded, no japan can not seem to make a large disp engine worth a shit compared to american ones. And dont you ever imply or say that a porsche is a bad car because it is turboed ever again (you sound dumber than the peopel you are trying to insult when you say that). But other than all that, you have a couple of good points.

p.s. chevman, dont insult others intelligence until you know the facts yourself, the NSX and porsche 911 are both NA. the 911 is only turboed, wen it is the 911 TURBO, or carrera 4 TURBO, or GT2, or several other variants. The base 911 is not turbo</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I agree with you rob. Japan cars are definatly over rated. I can't wait till the new C6 comes out. There might be a optional V12 engine option. Just to show all you idiots that American's do rule cars. The corvette has had an option for a DOHC engine for years but it is more expensive and would probably be able to kill anything will a smaller engine.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

Really both are cool cars, i'd hope for the RX-7 but u never know, could come down to driver, but the odds are the Z06 will pick it off as much as i hate to say it, BUT i might be surprised and see a great car the, RX-7 whoop out some real speeeeed.>>>>
    Later<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

Well....i can't say that this lambo dude has brains, compare the horsepower and displacement before the whole cars, if mazda would make a rotary engine that has the same displacement or even same hp that any vette, it would kick this americans dreamcar ass. Just facts, no more. and the current values are: hp 280(japan laws...) torque: 314Nm
    and i would estimate the 0-60mph time to somewhere around 4.5 secs, and in the track....this RX-7 would win even with these values.<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

You try to build a 5.7 litre rotary and it will last about 2 seconds under any type of load, ar anything but idle. The seals are the key weakness of this engine, and they can only hold if they are precision made and have a relativly low stres role. Also, the rotational torque on a 5.7 litre rotary would absolutly wreck the cars handling. Facts.

But As is, this car can definitly compete. I'm not going to say beat a Z06, because I don't think it can, but the C5, maybe. The Z06's added power and traction controll just give it the edge. <!-- Signature -->

21. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

There is no way this rx7 could get under 13.5 in the 1/4 stock. With a good driver in a base vette you might pull a 12.9, but that would be the best it could do stock. Besides if I had the choice of buying this or the vette i would get the vette because in three years every 16 year old is gonna have an rx7.<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

Ok here it goes, real specs from mazda and from motor trend (they are what i could find)

rx7 (1999 turbo, same as this car, different seats)

250 hp
    5.4 0-60
    158 top speed
    13.8 1/4

vette (1999 coupe, before hp increase)

345 hp
    375 tq
    4.8 0-60
    173 top speed
    13.2 1/4

Ther you go, cold hard facts, that cant really be disputed. I do love the rx7 however, in fact it is one of the only japanese cars that i do like, but it does get beat in this test. The hp difference really doesnt make too much of a differenc in this race due to the rx7's much smaller weight. As for handling, even being an american car entusiast iw ill have to honestly bow out to the rx7, but just slightly, due to its lighter weight and smaller size i do believe that the mazda will beat the incredibly nimble vette through the curvies (although i have no facts to back that up like i do the acceleration)

As for these two cars being non comparable, get your head out of your ass and wake up, the two countries build cars differently and thusly their cars will have different engine types but can be built for the sme purpose. Think about it man, countries seperated by oceans and with differenc economical and cultural differeces will develop different types of sprts cars, both will be fast, both will handle well, and both will be built differently. Don't spout HP/Liter, because as someone said that topic has been discussed at naseum and has been proven retarded. The only time that hp/L means anything is when you enter your car into a displacemnet limited race, thats it.

Why is it so hard for some people to realize that displacement does not neccisarily determinie class, but purpose and performance does?

23. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

on e thing else, this rx7, when available in the US, cost about 45,000 and the base vette costs about 45,000 (hardtop no options)

Also i do realize that the rx7 is extremely modifyable and i respect and love it for that, but we are not talking mods here, so before you go say when you mod the rx it will blah blah blah, you need to take every dollar going into the rx and put eaqual into the vette, then you have a comparison.

24. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

To all you people who know jack about cars,of course ,on a drag strip the vette would win,C5 os ZO6,but on a road track ,the RX-7 would probably win,just becuase it is a very small displacement engine doesn't mean it can't compete with the large displacement V8 in a vette,just not in all categories,the RX-7(the F3DS) is the greatest sportscar of (of reasonable price) our time period.

25. Re: 2002 RX-7 Vs. 2002 Corvette.

Actually, the RX-7 Turbo is easily capable of beating a standard C5 Coupe. The RX-7 is on par with the Z06 in every catagory, including acceleration.