Re: 200kW XU6

Discussion in '2001 HSV VX2 XU6' started by Rzeractor, Aug 9, 2002.

1. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BaRRa</i>
    <b>The low sales of the Falcon come down to looks and the fact that Ford hasn't been doing to well in V8 Supercar racing (IMO)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yeah that too<!-- Signature -->

2. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1q2w3e</i>
    <b>recently my family bought a 2002 VX SS as a spare car.

Firstly, for everyone saying Fords got nothing on Holden, I'd be quiet for the next few months till the Barra's released. The six is standard at 200? or 220kw? can't remember think its 200. Holden isn't worried about it claims they've got the same amount waiting for them.

HOWEVER. Regarding the new 310-330kw V8 that'll be going in the new Falcon, Holden and HSV admitted the "shelves are bare." this is due to the production of the monaro, and the 6.2 that everyone always brings up running around in dunston's black R8 is a year worth of development away from being in production. Thats IF holden/HSV go for it.

I haven't seen the styling of the new Ford but theres talk they've improved over the current model and got it right, which i hope they have.

I personnally like both manafacturers and think they push each other to make better products. it could even be argued (successfully) that apart from the GTS Fords cars are better and quicker. The GTS wont be available until the last 1/4 of the year.

Anyways, why did we get an SS? To be honest, I don't like the styling of the ford. And we weren't willing to wait until September to get a car. Thats the reason.

However, we were looking at other cars till we took the SS for a drive. First impressions were the leather interior isn't done justice in the pictures you see of the cars, its a really nice quality interior something which i didn't expect. Comfortable, and adequate support. Though only having tilt adjustment on the seat was a bit annoying. I would have thought that if holden was going to offer tilt, it should have at least offered forward and rear adjustments with memory seats like the Caliais. However theres massive amounts of rear leg room and the back seats you just sink into.

The front cabins actually a nice place to be, (if you can't guess i was kind of skeptical about a few things) I prefure the dash to that of the ford, but thats probably because most of the ford i've been in are taxis. Sounds stupid, I guess the reason is the Fords are more reliable.

The car drove well enough, had a fairly good ride (the roads were shit house it was at waitara in Syd.) Nice torque, good power.
    Though the auto had the habit of shifting back to second at 90ks instead of using the torque it should be producing to drop to third and pull the car forward. Fucking annoying.

The motor, while it goes well enough, seems like its "choking" would be the best way to describe it. You can feel theres more power there but it just doesn't come through.

So anyways, its a nice car and went alright. We got it for 52 g (on road) with leather, sunroof and everything.

One of the key things though, is that i couldn't live with the car standard. (We had to get an auto because my mother can't or doesn't drive manual) The changing back to second gear all the time would give me the shits. Im not sure if the Ford suffers from the same problem (Tickford5400???), but powerchip offer a chip that fixes all that up so were looking into it. So another key point was the fact that tuning the Gen III up isn't as much of a big deal as it is for the Ford.
    To cut a long story short, the cars going straight to holden where they can work them up to about 270kw i've been told (a friend works as a mechanic for Suttons) they apparently do the exaust, inlet manafold and a few other bits and pieces.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

ok the reason the fords are used as taxis is because they are cheaper (by about 10-15 g) and they are not more reliable last year in the AutoCar Magaizen they did a test for the top 50 cars this included porsches, ferrari,Hondas, hsv GTS, ford xr8
    and the ford couldnt handle all the tests and it blew a figgn cylneder thats right it went from a XR8 to a XR7 lmao if thats what you call quality then go buy a slowbaru<!-- Signature -->

3. ford will never win the power game that it is in at the moment with holden first the most power-full ford you can buy apart from a tickford is a xr8 with its 5.0L v5 producing in the start 185 kw then theyupgraded that to 200kw and they still wearnt winning so now its up to 220kw as for holden with there 5.7L v8 producing 225kw they havnt had to upgrade that for a while

fords suck and they will always the only good ford is the gt-90 witch the dick heads didnt put into production

4. all you ford #%$s dont know what you're on about, holden always come out in front, hey, you guys can grin all you want about the 'VC you beat at the traffic lights", put your shitty XR8 up against a GTS and see who's ass will be pointing at you 1km down the road.

just wait til holden start building their own engines again,
    they're itchin for it, just look at the 6.2 litre hrt maloo!
    <!-- Signature -->

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 104625</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Holden Nut</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 104625</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Rzeractor</i>
    <b>Heh. Hah.
    MUAHAHAHA
    So. You DO think that Ford will overcome holden eh?
    Heh. In the next series of HSV, the SV300 will up a couple of horsepower to the 400kilowatt mark. Thats 5 F*cking hundred horsepower!
    500 horsepower from a 6.2L V8 engine. Id like to see ford beat that.
    and the car? The HSV VY SV400.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Oh wow 4000kw tell me where are u going to use that??? (you must remember TORQUE is more useful than KW, all KW give you is the amount of fuel ur gonna use up) and geez out of 6.2l hehehe thats funny (thats a big mutha of an engine)!!!! Can I ask where u gor ut info from??? Publication? Date? Page? Links??? Or did it just pop into ur head?? Does 400kw make u go faster around a track?? Does it make ur car handle better?? You Holden people re all the same its all about the engine (which all that Holden/HSV have done is detune, i mean for #$%#s sake for the SV300 you has to send it back to callaway in the states to build it).</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> If KW is relative to the amount of fuel you use up, how come the 165kw Holden V8 is less economical than the 225kw V8?

And who cares if its all about the engine, maybe so, but with you Ford people its all about handling and the rest of it. You say you cant use HSV's power on the road, but where can you use the extra bit of handling on the road that Ford has over Holden?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

OK well ummm i thought with everyday driving u needed a well balanced car, both power and handling cause well here we have roads that contain straights but also a lot of bends and curves and corners, now i am sure u DO need a car that has good handling to get around them. Espeically with the falcons and commodores weight and power. I mean u wouldn't want a shit hot powerful car with absolutley no handling so when some dickhead p plater takes it out he fishy's it down the street and kills himself (ok bit extreme but u get the point), power isn't all, yeah i am shitty ford don't have the power yet but well at least they are winning points on driveability and total refinement! Don't forget these are not race cars and the drivers are not race drivers. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    But you dont need top shelf handling to get by on our roads, don't get me wrong its a bonus if you do have it, but you can easily drive any old 1970 tank around that doesnt handle any where near as good as the cars today and not crash.

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Holden Nut</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 104625</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Holden Nut</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Rzeractor</i>
    <b>Heh. Hah.
    MUAHAHAHA
    So. You DO think that Ford will overcome holden eh?
    Heh. In the next series of HSV, the SV300 will up a couple of horsepower to the 400kilowatt mark. Thats 5 F*cking hundred horsepower!
    500 horsepower from a 6.2L V8 engine. Id like to see ford beat that.
    and the car? The HSV VY SV400.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Oh wow 4000kw tell me where are u going to use that??? (you must remember TORQUE is more useful than KW, all KW give you is the amount of fuel ur gonna use up) and geez out of 6.2l hehehe thats funny (thats a big mutha of an engine)!!!! Can I ask where u gor ut info from??? Publication? Date? Page? Links??? Or did it just pop into ur head?? Does 400kw make u go faster around a track?? Does it make ur car handle better?? You Holden people re all the same its all about the engine (which all that Holden/HSV have done is detune, i mean for #$%#s sake for the SV300 you has to send it back to callaway in the states to build it).</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> If KW is relative to the amount of fuel you use up, how come the 165kw Holden V8 is less economical than the 225kw V8?

And who cares if its all about the engine, maybe so, but with you Ford people its all about handling and the rest of it. You say you cant use HSV's power on the road, but where can you use the extra bit of handling on the road that Ford has over Holden?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

OK well ummm i thought with everyday driving u needed a well balanced car, both power and handling cause well here we have roads that contain straights but also a lot of bends and curves and corners, now i am sure u DO need a car that has good handling to get around them. Espeically with the falcons and commodores weight and power. I mean u wouldn't want a shit hot powerful car with absolutley no handling so when some dickhead p plater takes it out he fishy's it down the street and kills himself (ok bit extreme but u get the point), power isn't all, yeah i am shitty ford don't have the power yet but well at least they are winning points on driveability and total refinement! Don't forget these are not race cars and the drivers are not race drivers. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    But you dont need top shelf handling to get by on our roads, don't get me wrong its a bonus if you do have it, but you can easily drive any old 1970 tank around that doesnt handle any where near as good as the cars today and not crash. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Some people can but the quality of the drivers that have are there today are no where as "developed" as needed. The car is needed to be safer no matter how good the driver is. Why not have a car that can handle good, it would do more good than chucking a shitload of power into it!<!-- Signature -->

7. mate, performance is one thing.
    But u DO NOT compromise looks for it.

what if I had some VW Old Beetle and it could kill the new MB SL55.
    would I drive it? NO

in the same way, fords look like shit.

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from bodybuilder</i>
    <b>mate, performance is one thing.
    But u DO NOT compromise looks for it.

what if I had some VW Old Beetle and it could kill the new MB SL55.
    would I drive it? NO

in the same way, fords look like shit.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

So whats ur point?<!-- Signature -->

9. my point, sure this car aint gonna kill everything on the road, but it looks sick and is practical.

u guys shouldnt diss it to the shithouse.

10. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from bodybuilder</i>
    <b>my point, sure this car aint gonna kill everything on the road, but it looks sick and is practical.

u guys shouldnt diss it to the shithouse.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I agree with you if u like thats great, but when people bag ford for no reason at all and just say its shit then of course i will step in. I am not one of those people that will just go into a holden forum and say oh this car is shit and thats it. There has to be a reasoning behind the comment! In other words you have to say why its shit etc etc<!-- Signature -->

11. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 1q2w3e</i>
    <b>recently my family bought a 2002 VX SS as a spare car.

Firstly, for everyone saying Fords got nothing on Holden, I'd be quiet for the next few months till the Barra's released. The six is standard at 200? or 220kw? can't remember think its 200. Holden isn't worried about it claims they've got the same amount waiting for them.

HOWEVER. Regarding the new 310-330kw V8 that'll be going in the new Falcon, Holden and HSV admitted the "shelves are bare." this is due to the production of the monaro, and the 6.2 that everyone always brings up running around in dunston's black R8 is a year worth of development away from being in production. Thats IF holden/HSV go for it.

I haven't seen the styling of the new Ford but theres talk they've improved over the current model and got it right, which i hope they have.

I personnally like both manafacturers and think they push each other to make better products. it could even be argued (successfully) that apart from the GTS Fords cars are better and quicker. The GTS wont be available until the last 1/4 of the year.

Anyways, why did we get an SS? To be honest, I don't like the styling of the ford. And we weren't willing to wait until September to get a car. Thats the reason.

However, we were looking at other cars till we took the SS for a drive. First impressions were the leather interior isn't done justice in the pictures you see of the cars, its a really nice quality interior something which i didn't expect. Comfortable, and adequate support. Though only having tilt adjustment on the seat was a bit annoying. I would have thought that if holden was going to offer tilt, it should have at least offered forward and rear adjustments with memory seats like the Caliais. However theres massive amounts of rear leg room and the back seats you just sink into.

The front cabins actually a nice place to be, (if you can't guess i was kind of skeptical about a few things) I prefure the dash to that of the ford, but thats probably because most of the ford i've been in are taxis. Sounds stupid, I guess the reason is the Fords are more reliable.

The car drove well enough, had a fairly good ride (the roads were shit house it was at waitara in Syd.) Nice torque, good power.
    Though the auto had the habit of shifting back to second at 90ks instead of using the torque it should be producing to drop to third and pull the car forward. Fucking annoying.

The motor, while it goes well enough, seems like its "choking" would be the best way to describe it. You can feel theres more power there but it just doesn't come through.

So anyways, its a nice car and went alright. We got it for 52 g (on road) with leather, sunroof and everything.

One of the key things though, is that i couldn't live with the car standard. (We had to get an auto because my mother can't or doesn't drive manual) The changing back to second gear all the time would give me the shits. Im not sure if the Ford suffers from the same problem (Tickford5400???), but powerchip offer a chip that fixes all that up so were looking into it. So another key point was the fact that tuning the Gen III up isn't as much of a big deal as it is for the Ford.
    To cut a long story short, the cars going straight to holden where they can work them up to about 270kw i've been told (a friend works as a mechanic for Suttons) they apparently do the exaust, inlet manafold and a few other bits and pieces.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->So after driving the SS, do you think what the motoring media say about the car is accurate in your opinion?<!-- Signature -->

12. okay. Sorry it took so long to get back.

Well, its a nice enough car, the rear suspension could do with some more work though, its got to much room and movement in it through bends, a nice stiffer suspension would work a lot better in my opinion. And the steering is fairly heavy, especially at idle and parking etc but not a problem, just noticeable. Probably works well at high speed, but then with the suspension.... Holden should have fixed the suspension set up.

Interiors nice, enough in leather and pretty smart looking. The brakes are okay for what you pay but id like to put a set of clubby R8 stoppers on it at some stage (not because its under braked but one of our other cars is an E55).

The engine however's the big point for me, especially with the box. (auto). The computer gives me the shit sometimes, it changes back to second while doing 100 clicks and half or 3/4 throttling to speed up and overtake, when it should be using torque not dropping cogs.

At low speeds, and bubblin round town the torque comes on nice and strong down low, but give it a bootful and it trades good low end torque for upper end power. Kinda feels like a V6 in the sense that you expect with the torque for it to take off and it never really does, probably a mixture of the camshaft and exaust setup, (however this is comparing it to the 8 in the E55). So its alright, but in comparision annoying to me.

Cut a long story short, at the 1500k service it got the HSV upgrade, headers, GTS exaust, extractors and finally it sounds like a V8! Goes a heap better to (holden reckon its good for about 290-295kw). Torque's increased and so's power, however now down the freeways when ya give it a bit of a hit it sticks in 3rd a lot and uses the torque! not the power from 2nd! So a shifter kit and chips next to sort that.

All in all, a pretty good car. I've spend a fair bit of time driving it and the seats are actually a lot more comfortable than I imagined. Looking at throwing a piggy backed Motec onto it to clean it up and get some more power, but we'll see how that all goes only got it back a couple days ago.

13. To 1q2w3e i tihnk it's 190kW standard that Ford are saying, and HOlden are saying NOt that much until VYII, but hopefully they change their minds.

14. I want to know where the hell the 200kw+ S/C V6 Commodore motor is...it better be in the VY XU6 cause it aint in any Holden cars yet.

15. Just thought HoldenNut in particular might want to know, got a set of VX GTS rims for the SS... NICE! Getting a set of Premium brakes next, plus suspension work, then maybe a head and cam package.

I dont know whats happening with the XU6. It will most likely be discontinued i think in HSV's range, with the SV8 replacing the executive with more options and the SS pulling 235 and Fords XR6 making 240 it's kind of irrelevant now.

16. Wicked!

Hey how come HSV say that you can only get HSV parts for HSV owners. Or is it one of those things if you fork out the money they give it to you? How much do the GTS rims set you back? I've only seen one place other than HSV selling them, at $7000 for the 4.

17. A guy in Melbourne had them for sale. I didn't ask where he got them, but they were brand new and he sells clubby rims etc. They were $3600 for the 4 without tyres. Now just got to drop the suspension out and replace it and lower the puppy. But handles a heap better already.

Apparently for HSV rims with the GTS I know of (not sure about the clubby and R8) HSV want rego papers and engine nos for the wheels. But ROH might start selling them now to stick it to HSV seeing as though they just lost their wheel contract.

18. Yeah, I still don't know why in my Street Commodores magazines, I find non HSV cars with HSV seats, bodykits, wheels, even the 300kw motor throttle body.

19. You can't put Ford not being reliable down to one car. Ford and Holden are both very reliable cars

20. Yeah true although I used to think Fords were more reliabe when used as cars like taxi's and Holdens for when they were used as family type cars - one being driven non stop and the other only occasionally.

21. well i must say that the new ford does have better looks and they have gotten rid of the look that makes it look like it is sitting high. i think this will be good for compitition

22. ya'll are talking as if GM is having a hard time pulling 240hp/180kW out of this engine. shows how much the jap/euro car freaks know.

the XR6 falcon w/ the 4L Turbo V6 is probably going to end up like the Ford Super/Turbo Coupes of the early 90s in America. crappy compared to a LC2 Buick turbo V6 found in the Grand National and its kin.