Re: 205 TURBO 16 ENCYCLOPEDIA

Discussion in '1985 Peugeot 205 T16 Group B' started by Homero, Aug 10, 2002.

1. THE "EVOLUTION 1"

(English press article, part one, it's heavy)

"Performance Car" Magazine 10/1985 - Submitted by David McBean

2. THE PEUGEOT 205 TURBO 16 “EVOLUTION 2”

After the 1985 success for Peugeot, the Group B “boom” face new rivals to the 205. Lancia, Ford, Citroën and Austin made their own cars, so Peugeot needed to improve the perfomance of the “Evolution 1”. The result: the “Evolution 2”

More power, bigger wings, less weight. With this car, Peugeot won the second World Rally Championship. It was in 1986 and with Juha Kankkunen at the wheel.

3. THE “EVOLUTION 2”
    TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION

Name: 1985 Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 “Evolution 2”
    First Appeared: 1985 Tour De Corse
    Title: 1986 World Rally Champion
    Class: Homologated to FIA Group B
    Engine: XU8T - Direct Overhead Cam, Turbo Charged
    Engine Layout: Transversely Mounted, Mid engined
    Number of cylinders: 4
    Bore (mm): 83
    Stroke (mm): 82
    Compression: 7.0:1
    Valves/cylinder: 4
    Cams: 2 ohc
    Capacity: 1775cc
    Torque: [email protected]
    Power: 500 [email protected]
    Turbocharger: KKK
    Fuel Injection: Bosch K-Jetronic
    Transmission: Four Wheel Drive
    Gearbox: 5 or 6 speed
    Suspension: Front, double triangle TCA. Rear, double triangle TCA
    Brakes: Front, ventilated discs - range of sizes. Rear, ventilated discs - range of sizes
    Body: 2 Door, Steel unit-construction body/chassis structure, with tubular and composite panels.
    Wheelbase: 2540mm
    Length: 3825mm
    Width: 1674mm
    Height: 1410mm
    Weight: 910kgs
    kg/bhp: 1.8
    Top Speed: 219 km/h (short rapport)
    0-100 km/h: 2,9 secs.
    0-200: km/h 11,1 secs.

4. THE “EVOLUTION 2” GALLERY (I)

5. THE “EVOLUTION 2” GALLERY (II)

6. THE “EVOLUTION 2” GALLERY (III)

7. Homero, I've got to hand it to you, this is the most informative thread i've ever read on this site, seriously, awesome job. I'm glad someone can post information about the featured cars besides saying something like "Fords are pieces of crap". Thanks for the information, it's given me some really good insight into the beginning of Group B racing and why the early racers had so much more power and speed than they do now. Great Job.

8. Oh lol one more thing, I've actually been posting on this site for awhile but for some reason my account was lost, I had like 60 something posts, so i'm not really a newbie when it comes to reading through threads. Once again, Good job Homero. Peace.

9. THE “EVOLUTION 2” GALLERY (IV)

10. THE “EVOLUTION 2” GALLERY (V)

11. THE “EVOLUTION 2” GALLERY (VI)

12. Homero, great job with this thread! Finally SC has done something for us rallyfans, now I'm just waiting for the S4!

One question though. In my knowledge (from what I have heard from others and done some thinking myself), the group B type cars are not faster than todays rallycars.

From the time that they were banned, rallycars have evolved in more places than the engine (the engine beeing the core of the group b car, with the transmission struggling to get the power down).
    Nowadays the engine is still important, but the engineers have worked alot with aerodynamics and traction. I mean how aerodynamic was the 205 T16 EvoII for example? And the transmissions of today are lightyears ahead of the ones found on group B cars. The engines of modern rallycars, although restricted, pumps out more torque than than the group B.

I just think that I should point this out, and it's therefore wrong by SC to say this. And I quote SC from the info about the 205 T16: "Most of these cars saw 500 or more horsepower which was far faster than modern day WRC cars."

13. Great job Homero, I'm looking in my archives to add some new pics!

14. (Thank you!)

THE “EVOLUTION 2” GALLERY (VII)

15. #65 Homero, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  16. THE “EVOLUTION 2” GALLERY (VIII)

17. THE “EVOLUTION 2” GALLERY (IX)

18. THE “EVOLUTION 2” GALLERY (X)

19. THE “EVOLUTION 2” GALLERY (XI)

20. THE “EVOLUTION 2” GALLERY (XII)

21. THE “EVOLUTION 2” GALLERY (and XIII)

22. THE “EVOLUTION 2” vs. THE LANCIA DELTA S4

In 1986, Lancia and Peugeot battle for the last “Group B” World Rally Championship. The “Evo2” and the Delta S4 were the best of the best, and very similars too. Mid engine, 4WD, Turbo and drivers from Finland. Finally, the Peugeot won the Cup, but still there is and old discussion.

The Delta S4 is faster than the “Evo2”?

An Italian magazine matched both cars in 1987 and here is the result.
    -The Peugeot is faster in top speed and acceleration. Also brakes better.
    -The Delta is faster in “reprise”.

23. THE BEST RIVAL

He is the Finland driver Markku Alen. And he almost get the 1986 World Rally Champion with his Lancia Delta S4. After the Henri Toivonen fatal accident, Alen became the #1 Lancia pilot. The final decision from the FIA canceling the points from San Remo Rally give the title to the Peugeot driver Juha Kankkunen, from Finland too.

Markku Alen and the Lancia were the best rivals of the Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 in 1986. Here are some rare pictures of Alen testing the Peugeot in a 1988 Italian motorshow.

24. THE "EVOLUTION 2" AT THE PEUGEOT MUSEUM

25. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Racingfan171</i>
    <b>Oh lol one more thing, I've actually been posting on this site for awhile but for some reason my account was lost, I had like 60 something posts, so i'm not really a newbie when it comes to reading through threads. Once again, Good job Homero. Peace. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Sorry for your lost of posts , the admnins have changed the servors recently , which has resulted in some bugs.

Some members have lost their post or accounts , some others have gained posts.

You haven't been banned unless you've posted crap , but I don't remember a request to ban you.

Welcome back on sc.net !!

Soon the Peugeot 905 and the Porsche 917 will be added.<!-- Signature -->