Re: A Mclaren F1 would beat anything because of...

Discussion in '1999 Lamborghini Diablo GT' started by Mclaren F1 GT fan, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Actually, the Diablo GT is not much faster than the '99 and '98 SV (only 0.2 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile); the only real difference is the Diablo GT has an updated suspension.

I don't know if the Mclaren is "predictable," but I do know that the tendency of the back of the Mclaren to pull in front at high speeds prevents you from taking any corners at high speeds. The Diablo's problem is not back end habits, but high center of gravity. The F50's problem is speed (not enough torque), and the F40's problem is an old chasis which hinders its handeling (not as much as the Mclaren, though; it still has pretty good handeling). The Diablo GT, F50, and F40 have equal lap times on almost every track; I'm not sure about the Mclaren, because I haven't seen any of its lap times.

I would compare a Diablo to the F1 LM if there was a Diablo in the same class. I can't compare the Diablo GT to the LM because the GT is little different from the SV; the only real difference is an updated suspension. But the Mclaren F1 LM is very different from the Road car. The F1 GTR is much faster and better than the regular F1, and the LM is exactly the same car as the GTR. And the LM has an even more powerful engine than the GTR because the air restrictors were removed! The Diablo GT was not so much different from the regular Diablo SV; And the Diablo GTR is not much different from the GT. I'd have to compare something like a Diablo GT1 or SE Jota-R to the Mclaren F1 LM.

2. The LM is extremly close to the normal F1. The only diffences are a stripped out interior, different body work with wing, different suspension set up, and the rubber suspension mounts were replaced with aluminum.<!-- Signature -->

3. and what do u think the Jota R is??? the same as the LM, i think that would be a fair comparison!!! a detuned racecar vs. a detuned racecar
    i would love to see that!!!!!! peace<!-- Signature -->

4. The F1 GTR is very different than the normal F1. much better handeling, lighter, much more torque; a lot faster. The LM is exactly the same car as the GTR, except without the air restrictors. It is very different than the regular F1. The F1 LM has done some amazing performance times (0-100 mph-0 is 11.7 seconds, so I'm told). The regular Mclaren F1's performance is a little less clear, but the only reliable tests show it's definately not nearly as fast as the LM and GTR. Yeah, the Diablo Jota R would be the best comparison to the Mclaren F1 LM; that would be a tight race!

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Christianmc</i>
    <b>The F1 GTR is very different than the normal F1. much better handeling, lighter, much more torque; a lot faster. The LM is exactly the same car as the GTR, except without the air restrictors. It is very different than the regular F1. The F1 LM has done some amazing performance times (0-100 mph-0 is 11.7 seconds, so I'm told). The regular Mclaren F1's performance is a little less clear, but the only reliable tests show it's definately not nearly as fast as the LM and GTR. Yeah, the Diablo Jota R would be the best comparison to the Mclaren F1 LM; that would be a tight race!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

And the Diablo GT is lighter, better handling, more torque, and is faster than a normal Diablo. So I still say compare the LM to the Diablo GT.<!-- Signature -->

6. The Diablo GT IS the normal version of the Diablo; it's just the replacement for the SV. Just to show you how similar the GT is to the SV in performance, consider this: The Diablo GT is not lighter than the SV. Lamborghini is wrong when they say it is. The Diablo has 45 more hp than the SV, and 20 more lb/ft of trorque. But It's the same car. The GT is only 0.2 seconds faster in 0-100 mph (8.0 vs. 8.2 seconds). It's only 5 seconds faster than the SV at the Nurburgring, which is an 8 min track!

But in the case of the F1, not only does the LM version have 680 hp and 40 lb/ft. of torque more than the normal version and better suspension, but it's much ligher. Just to give an example of how much faster th LM is than the normal version, take the F1 GTR for example: it actually has LESS hp than the normal F1 at 600 hp because of the air restrictors. But it still accelerates much faster than the normal F1 and has a lot more downforce. It's a LeMans race car through and through. And the LM version is exactly the same as the GTR (in fact they are GTRs), except with the air restrictors removed, so it has more hp than any other version! That is REALLY fast!

The Diablo GT is not a LeMans race car. The Diablo GTR is not even a LeMans race car. The Diablo SE Jota-R could be a LeMans competetor, though. I don't say this to argue, just to say what I think is a fair comparison.

7. There's no doubt that the McLaren F1 is very very fast, but it's not like any car around can tear the Diablo GT into pieces.<!-- Signature -->