Re: FASTEST STREET LEGAL CAR

Discussion in '2002 Lamborghini Murciélago' started by DriveEuro, Aug 10, 2002.

1. #1 DriveEuro, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  2. #2 DriveEuro, Aug 10, 2002
  3. I'm impressed and happy to see the Lamborghini achieve those results but it still won't be considered the worlds fastest street legal car because of its top speed. The Mclaren will be dethroaned in 2003 by Ferrari's F60 project and if enough are produced to consider the Veyron a production car (20), the Bugatti will top both.
    Thanks for the link.

4. ? fastest? yeah its fast but not the fastest. the sl55 has a better top speed. not that i'm sayin the sl is the better race car just sayin that its not the fastest....this is stil 1 nice car! 2 me its 1 of the best

5. bloody oth its still a good car but i still like the diablo it got somthing this dosent yaknow??<!-- Signature -->

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from gsolinas</i>
    <b>I'm impressed and happy to see the Lamborghini achieve those results but it still won't be considered the worlds fastest street legal car because of its top speed. The Mclaren will be dethroaned in 2003 by Ferrari's F60 project and if enough are produced to consider the Veyron a production car (20), the Bugatti will top both.
    Thanks for the link.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Sorry, fella. The F60's top speed is going to be, and I quote Ferrari engineers on this one, "205mph". The folks at Ferrari aren't intent on designing a car that could break world speed records for production cars. They are, and always have been, trying to bring the Formula 1 experience to the streets.<!-- Signature -->

7. A man in Toronto has already been flown to Maranello in Italy to be fitted for his seat in the F60 and the engineers are claiming that the F60 will be good for 210mph/336kmh. So did Road & Track Volume 53 #1. However modified versions like the F50GT are also being talked about and those speeds are likely to exceed those of the Mclarens. The F50 GT is already good for 380kmh. The reason they weren't considered fastest road car in the world was because only 4 were made. If 20 are made, the F60 offsprings will surpass the Mclarens. I just simplify it by calling them all F60s.

8. Well, that depends on which McLaren you're referring to. If you refer to the F1, which tops out at just above 220mph, then I'd have no trouble believing that an "offspring" Ferrari could beat it. However, if you mean the F1 LM, that's another story altogether. Many cars were supposed to have been able to best the F1 LM's ~240mph top speed, but none have actually succeeded. Remember Koenigsegg's claim? (Can't remember the model). It did dethrone the McLaren F1, but not the LM road-going version. When you're talking about speeds in excess of 230mph, engineers are faced with a difficult set of problems, not the least of which are aerodynamics and power-to-weight ratios. But, in the interest of furthering automobile technology, here's hoping Ferrari succeeds where some other have failed.

L8R<!-- Signature -->

9. No it isnt you idiot , the Bugatti 16/4 is

10. I agree with you but I think you got your models mixed up. The LM was good for 225mph and the standard F1 was capable of 240mph after 1997. The LM always had the better 0-60 though. Either way. Bugatti will blow that away.

11. To quote Mayor Quimby: "Of course. How silly of me." I thought that the LM topped out at ~240mph. The reason I did was because I read in Road & Track that they took the F1 up to 220mph. I couldn't remember if that was the top speed of the F1 or if the editors just didn't have the balls to take it any faster. Common sense then dictated to me that the LM would have the faster top speed, assuming 220mph was the max on the F1. Apparently I was wrong. Thanks.

L8R<!-- Signature -->

12. Uhh, the report says nothing of the Murc being the "Fastest Street Legal Car". It refers to it breaking international records for the standing 100km and 100mi. That's quite different than being dubbed the fastest street legal car. The article doesn't say anything about the McLaren. Do you know if it even competed for the standing 100km and 100mi?

Believe it or not, many people actually do know how to click on links. Some people just don't know how to reference them and quote from them properly.

L8R<!-- Signature -->

13. #13 EliseS2, Aug 10, 2002
    <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TylerDurden</i>
    <b>To quote Mayor Quimby: "Of course. How silly of me." I thought that the LM topped out at ~240mph. The reason I did was because I read in Road & Track that they took the F1 up to 220mph. I couldn't remember if that was the top speed of the F1 or if the editors just didn't have the balls to take it any faster. Common sense then dictated to me that the LM would have the faster top speed, assuming 220mph was the max on the F1. Apparently I was wrong. Thanks.

L8R</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The normal F1 did the 240mph run. The LM has a topspeed of around 225mph, it may have more power, but the front splitter and the large wing. The extra downforce of the LM creates more drag that limits the top speed.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from DriveEuro</i>
    <b>I GUESS SOME OF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO CLICK ON LINKS
    http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/News/Record.html
    There. Fastest street legal car. Period.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Did you read that link. It had the highest average top speed of any car that made that run. Did it have the highest top speed of any car, NO. It just kept an average speed of 198mph over 1000km. Did the F1 do that test, no. Could the F1 beak the lambo's record, abosultly not. The Lambos record is for cars under 6000cc, so the F1 could not even compete. You really should read the article.

14. Record is for cars over 6000 cc. Murcielago has 6192 cc!!!!Mclaren is in the same class.

Mclaren may or may not be able to beat that record; has a higher top speed, but is not as durable as the Murcielago, and may not take 1 whole hour of nonstop high speed without problems.

Murcielago's record is 189 mph (not 198 mph). Despite the 3 min pit-stop because of the broken jack.

Mclaren Top speed is not higher than 221 mph. Mclaren tested 240 mph, but this was with the rev limiter broken; it also tested 231 mph at Nrado, but that is because they allow additional 3% increase in top speed to compensate for the curve at Nardo!! But it is not necesary because Nardo is inclined!!. The 3% increase is not necessary and not accurate. For instance, we see often:

Bugatti EB110 top speed at Nardo: 217 mph
    actual recorded top speed approx 213 mph

Diablo 6.0 top speed at Nardo: 223 mph
    actual recorded top speed approx 215 mph

So actual top speed of the test at Nardo for the Mclaren F1 would be only about 221 mph.

Mclaren only claims 221 mph in the first place! Only test of top speed to be done without technicality is Road and Track who did 217 mph.

15. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from gsolinas</i>
    <b>I'm impressed and happy to see the Lamborghini achieve those results but it still won't be considered the worlds fastest street legal car because of its top speed. The Mclaren will be dethroaned in 2003 by Ferrari's F60 project and if enough are produced to consider the Veyron a production car (20), the Bugatti will top both.
    Thanks for the link.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Ferrari NEVER made a car faster than Lamborghini...

Why do uyou think they will made one now ? And faster than Mclaren F1 ? hahahahahah !!! Keep dreaming... Enzo Ferrari was dreaming for that during all his life...<!-- Signature -->

16. Ferrari NEVER made a car faster than Lamborghini...

Why do uyou think they will made one now ? And faster than Mclaren F1 ? hahahahahah !!! Keep dreaming... Enzo Ferrari was dreaming for that during all his life...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Eh, Lido Iacocca, what Diablo is faster acceleration than Ferrari F40? Diablo GT? Is close, but still not as fast. Diablo SE30 Jota? Maybe with short gear ratio it would be, but it has medium ratio instead, is is still not as fast.

1 km standing:

Ferrari F40: 20.9s
    Diablo GT (short ratio): 21.0s
    Diablo SE30 Jota: 21.2s

Murcielago matched F40's time of 20.9s, but only because it is 4WD and has excetional traction at the start. In reality, Diablo GT and SE30 Jota slightly faster than Murcielago in 60-160 mph. AFter 160 mph, Murcielago has "short 5th and 6th gears" and so is faster beyond 160 mph than Diablo SE30 Jota and GT. But still not as fast as F40

0-189 mph (0-300kmh):

Ferrari F40: 32.5s
    Murcielago: 34.2 seconds

Diablo GT would be approx 36s

All these times are very good, but still Diablo or Murcielago has not matched Ferrari F40's acceleration in a road car.

17. No, don't spent your time in special edition Diablos...

Choose your low-production special edition F40...

I'll get any '90-'99 Diablo...

Please, follow me 'till the end...

Since these cars reach 200mph in about 30 secs...

and any '90-'99 Diablo reachs 210mph, Ferraris can't reach 190mph but F40 reachs 202, ok ?

210mph against 202mph, right ? (acording with Classic & Sport Cars mag, April 2002)

in 20 secs Ferrari is 1 sec faster, ok ?... and after that ?

Let's put them both in a Indy track...IN 1 MINUTE WHICH CAR WINS ???
    IN 30 MINUTES WHICH CAR WINS ???
    IN 1 HOUR WHICH CAR WINS ???
    IN 12 HOURS WHICH CAR WINS ???
    IN 24 HOURS WHICH CAR WINS ???

In 24 hours in an indy 500 track I think the Lambo'll be about 50 laps ahead ! At least ! LOL !

They AREN'T AMERICAN DRAGSTERS !
    In GT/Sport car world a race MUST stay for about 1 hour, at least !

And I'm talking about a normal production car aginst the special edition F40 !
    Let's talk NOW about normal production Lambos and normal production Ferraris !
    Now I'll really laugh !

Keep trying... Enzo never give up ! better luck next time...<!-- Signature -->

18. Eh, you think who wins in an oval track is fastest? Some Diablos have higher top speed, but not all do. Diablo's top speed can vary anywhere from 194 mph-215 mph, depending on gear ratio, wether it has wing, and how high rpm it is capable of (7500 or 7100).

Not all Diablos have a higher top speed than F40. In oval track, a Diablo with long ratio may beat F40. But In normal tracks, It is not so simple as deciding top speed. Diablo GT is only one that comes close to acceleration of F40, if only with short ratio.

1/4 mile:
    F40: 11.8s @126 mph
    Diablo GT: 11.8s @124 mph (short)
    SE30 Jota: 11.8s @123 mph (medium)
    '99 SV: 12.0s @ 122 mph (short)
    Se30: 12.1s @121 mph (medium)

1 km standing:
    F40: 20.9 seconds
    Diablo GT: 21.0 seconds (short)
    Se30 Jota: 21.2 seconds (medium)
    '99 SV: 21.3 seconds (short)
    SE30: 21.5 seconds (medium)

F40 is special edition car, but so are SE30 and SE30 Jota! If SE30 Jota was availiable in short gear ratio (or you install it), it will be faster than GT and match F40. But F40 is still the fastest for now:

1/4 mile, Diablo 6.0 and '99 VT:

12.0s @119.8 mph (long gears)
    11.8s @121 mph (medium gears)
    under 11.8s (short ratio)

Notice that long ratio VT and 6.0 have approx the same time of '99 SV short ratio for 1/4 mile! This is because VT and 6.0 have advantage of 4WD and better traction; Why on the 1 km standing, 6.0 and VT in long and medium gear ratios have worse time than short ratio SV. But with VT, 6.0, and SV in all the same short ratio, VT and 6.0 still have the adavantage of 4WD. But even with 4WD and short ratio they can not match the time of F40. 1 km standing not better than 21.1 seconds for Short ratio '99VT and 6.0. It takes Murcielago with 4WD to match F40's time of 20.9 seconds.

With short ratio, the VT and SV have top speed of 193 mph with wing @7100 rpm.
    Also with short ratio, GT and 6.0 can do 199 mph with wing because they can go to higher rpm (7500 rpm). Without wing they are approx 3 mph higher.
    Old 492 hp 2WD and VT were only availiable in medium ratio, and had a top speed of 202-205 mph @7000 rpm. They had these times:

1/4 mile:
    VT: 12.3s @119.0 mph
    2WD: 12.7s@117.5 mph

1 km standing:
    VT: 21.96s
    2WD: 22.4 seconds

They are the same car, but VT has better time only because of 4WD; after 60 mph they are the same fast. The only Diablo I do not have a test of is 510 hp Diablo SV from '96, butI know that this one has the short ratio.

In longer gear ratios they can have higher top speeds than F40 (Diablo 6.0 is avaliable without wing and with long ratio can do 215 mph), but have worse acceleration. F40 still has best acceleration, and is more important than top speed on most tracks. F50 can match SE30 Jota in acceleration when in closed top; Open top convertible F50 has worse aerodynamics and has approx the same time of '99 SV for 1 km standing.

550 Maranello almost equals 1990 Diablo in acceleration (both 1 km standing in 22.4 seconds, because are both 2WD.

19. The difference may not seem big because these are distance times. But if you look at speed times the difference is clearer:

0-100 kmh (62 mph):
    F40: 4.5s
    Murcielago: 3.6s
    SE30 Jota: 4.1s (medium)
    F50: 4.1s
    Diablo GT: 4.2s (short)
    SE30: 4.4s
    '99 SV: 4.4s
    Porsche GT2: 4.0s
    Zonda: 3.9s

F40 does not have as good time as the rest because of delayed trubo action. Murcielago has the best time because it is 4WD.

0-200 kmh (124 mph):
    F40: 11.4s
    Murcielago: 11.4s
    Diablo GT: 11.8s
    F50: 11.9s (12.4s open top)
    SE30 Jota: 12.3s
    '99 SV: 12.4s
    SE30: approx12.7s
    Porsche GT2: 12.1s
    Zonda: 12.7s

F40 recovers and begins to get ahead. Murcielago has the same time as F40, but remember Murcielago had better start (3.6s vs. 4.5s). The faster cars have less time from 100-200 kmh.

0-300 kmh (186 mph):
    F40: 32.5s
    Murcielago 34.2s
    Diablo GT: approx 36s
    F50: na
    SE30 Jota: na
    '99 SV: na
    SE30: na
    Porsche GT2: 40s
    Zonda: na

F40 is still the fastest. Porsche GT2 is fast at lower speed (approx the same 100-200 kmh time as SE30Jota) but after is slower than the rest. Murciélago at medium speeds is approx the same fast as '99 SV, but gears 5th and 6th for Murcielago are very short, so after 4th gear, Murcielago is faster than GT and SE30 Jota. But still not as fast as F40.

20. Just a slight technicality: Porsche 911 GT2 does 0-100kmph in 3.6sec, not 4.0 (testing was done in a Road & Track article).

L8R<!-- Signature -->

21. Road and Track tested 0-60 mph in 3.6s. I am talking about 0-100 kmh (0-62 mph). The tests I am using are faster than Road and Tracks tests. Road and Track says:

996 GT2
    0-60 mph: 3.6s
    0-100 mph: 8.9s
    0-124 mph: na
    1/4 mile: 11.9s

But Sport Auto (Germany) says:

0-62 mph: 4.0s
    0-100 mph: 8.2s
    0-124 mph: 12.4s

And Auto (Italia) says:

0-62 mph: 4.0s
    0-100 mph: na
    0-124 mph: 12.1s

These tests are faster than Road and Track's, despite worse start time. I use Auto Italia's test of GT2 because it is the fastest. It is 0-62 mph, not 0-60 mph. I do not use 0-60 mph because some cars still do not change gears until 62 mph, so it is not a good comparison. at 62 mph, all these cars are in 2nd gear so it is fair. But with 60 mph, some cars are still in first!! look:

0-60 mph:
    996 GT2: 3.6s (na)
    Ferrari F50: 3.6s (stil in 1st)
    Diablo SE30 Jota: 3.7s (1st)
    Diablo SE30: 3.9s (1st)
    Ferrari F40: 3.9s (na)
    Diablo GT: 3.7/4.1s (short ratio in 2nd, medium and long still in 1st)
    Diablo SV '99: 3.9/4.3s (short in 2nd, medium and long still in 1st)
    Zonda: 3.7s (na)
    Murcielago: under 3.6s (1st)

But at 62 mph, all cars have arrived in 2nd for sure, and is much easier to see the comparison.

22. people this is not the fastest street legal car, maybe the fastest production car but the callaway corvette wasted this car! Yeah I know its not a production car but it is street legal get your facts straight!

23. I have to agree with gsolinas! The Bugatti is the baddest car out right now with a 16 cylinder engine and 4 turbo's pushing this beast. If you really want to know how fast this car is.....Well it's been tested at 1001 hp but guess what they can't even get all those horses to hols the road so that means it'll probly be more like 987!!!! That's the real deal

24. Ok, Jackamo, I think you're right.

Maybe the special editon F40 is the ONLY Ferrari faster.

But you're allways using special edition Ferraris.

All other 101 Ferraris NO limited editions made till today are slower than Lambos.

But I'll say what I think about it.

F40 is just a nobody-have marketing purpose Ferrari like the Mustang Boss.

They're cars made for marketing purposes that you'll never get due to the LOWER, very LOWER production.

On stock, Ferrari is losing frequently to Lambos (Ok, I'm not saying allways)

But go on ! How can you explain F355, F360, F550 times ? Allways losing to Lambos...

The RECORD in 1 hour, 24 hours is with Murcielago. I think you know.

And IT'S NOT a special edition car.<!-- Signature -->

25. the murciélago could destroy the McLaren ina race the McLaren has really bad handling: .86g's, the 4115lb Murciélago can pull .90 on a dusty track, pretty good for a heavyweight.<!-- Signature -->