Re: GT40 up against the Viper and Z06

Discussion in '2002 Ford GT40 Concept' started by Tickford5400, Aug 9, 2002.

1. This car should blow the CURRENT Viper and Corvette out of the Water. I do not know what the next Viper and Corvette will have so I cant comment on them but I would say If there is a coupe version of the 2003 Viper with 500hp and a 450hp Z06 then they woukd be quite stiff competition but probably the GT40 edging them out.<!-- Signature -->

2. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SvSi Viper</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hotrod</i>
    <b>Both are going to have 5oohp. The GT40 is a lightweight mid-engined LeMans racecar while the viper is a heavy front-engined monsteruos wonder and the Vette is a somewhat light FR The Gt40 handles like a dream while the Viper handles worse then a tank and the Vette handle well.

Corvette: USA true sportscar.
    Viper: USA overrated car.
    GT40: USA lengend.
    Every country has these 3 types of cars.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Idiots like you don't deserve to have posting previleges. The Viper HANDLES BETTER THAN THE CORVETTE. Seriously, have you been living in a hole? Viper's are always incorporated as bad handlers, they are not. They are excellent handlers. The Viper is not even a sports car like the Corvette, Viper is a Supercar, and a lot faster than the Vette. You can say anything you want, but don't deny the truth.

Also, the Vette only weighs like 100 pounds less than the Viper.

How do you know the GT-40 handles like a dream? Do you have one? Has it been tested? Idiot. Don't even make those kind of assumptions, you make yourself look like a fool.

My bet will be on the Viper. The 2002 Viper already kills the Vette in pretty much everything, handling, speed, acceration, you name it, so the new Viper will do it even better. I don't know about the GT-40, it should be a close one. I would think the Viper will pull out on top because of better handling and acceleration. Also, the Viper is going to be way less expensive than the GT-40. I can't wait for them to be tested though, something I am looking forward too.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Look at just about all of the tests that diffrent car mags have done and it will tell you that the vette won against the viper beacuse the viper is a rip off and the corvette is just as good but at a lot lower price and they arent in the same price range so you cant really compare them

3. In order : 1) Viper
    2) GT40
    3) Z06

4. Yep, school was definitely let out early today.

5. This comparison is one of the hardest to decide. If Ford has kept the GT40 capabilities from the old one, the sure it might be able to beat the viper. It probably has better accel than the Viper because the weight of the engine is on the rear tires so the tires might spin less giving it better off the line pickup. In turning the back is less likely to wip out, but there is less weight on the front tires. So moving the tires from the engine from the front to the back may give it better accel, but what it gains in speed it losses in turning. then there is the question of power. The GT40 has more than the Vette(which i hope will recieve more power in one of the next models), but it ties the Viper at 500HP.

All in all i am just glad that this Racing Legend is back and ready to be driven. We'll just have to wait and see what it does on the race track.

6. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SvSi Viper</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SuprJames</i>
    <b>This SHOULD, if Ford actually did something right, smoke the current Viper and current Z06. It's in a mid-engine configuration which gives it an edge on a road course right off the bat. It's got a pretty low gear ratio which should help it accelerate much faster than both the Vette and the Viper. Not only that but I absolutely LOVE the styling of this car!! GT40 was way ahead of it's time in the 60's, and I hope Ford (which I doubt they will) will keep the spirit alive by making this one as cutting edge as possible. Now, as far as the current Vette and Vipers go. The Vette is a much better car overall than the Viper. Every magazine editor will contest to that. All Viper has going for it is a nice throaty sound, a 0-60 time that leaves most European exotics in the dust, and a little exclusitivity. The Vette on the other hand handles great, comes EXTEREMELY close in 0-60, is pretty comfortable (actually have ridden in a C5 and read articles on how shitty the Viper's interior is), handles better, and the list goes on and on. I think this is an awsome car and I seriously wish that GM would produce the Cien to compete with this. The 2004 Vette is supposed to be redesigned (C6) and put out 450 hp with the same torque. It will be beating the Viper even with the hp deficite because it's coming so close to it now with so much less hp.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Yea, it should smoke the current Viper and Z06. But haven't you heard? The new Viper will be sporting 500 horsepower also. Why would mid engine configuration give it the edge? I could have sworn perfect weight distribution was the best. The Viper is 49% Front, 51% Rear. Near perfect, wouldn't you say?

You say the Vette handles great and better than the Viper. Thats funny, of the 2 times they went head to head, both times the Viper came out on top. The Viper also handles at a higher slalom speed than the Vette, in fact, Motor Trend announced it had the record for the quickest slalom speed for a production car they ever tested.

The Vette is comfortable and the Viper isn't? I'm sorry, but the Viper is comfortable. It may not have the interior or features the Vette has, but it has all the essentials and is a very comfortable ride.

You say the Vette is coming so close to the Viper. Please, explain. The only thing even remotely close is 0-60 and the handling. After 60 the Viper leaves the Vette in the dust. And remember, to come close to the Viper, they will have to make a dramatic increase in horsepower, because coming in August, the 2003 Viper will be released with 500 horsepower.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Having a midenging configuration puts more weight over the rear wheels which imroves traction thus increasing acceleration. Also, midengine cars have less power loss in the drivetrain. Medengine cars are usually lighter because there is less drivetrain and exhaust pipes. It's funny that you should mention the Viper being the best in the slalom. I wish I could remember what magazine it was, but they said that the 02' Z06 was the fastest car they had ever put through the slalom which is why I said the Vette was faster through the slalom. The Viper isn't comfortable. It has a HUGE center console that your leg is constantly mashed against and interior noise is horrible. It's no good for people over 6', and I've heard you can't even see the accelerator when you're driving it. Like I said, I've never ridden in one but I have seen quite a few and every magazine has mentioned it. You're right when you said that the Viper leaves the Z06 in the dust after 60 mph. I said that the Vette's 0-60 was close to the Vipers which is true though. The 04' Corvette (C6) is supposed to be almost completely redesigned and is supposed to have somewhere around 450 hp and the same torque. This car could beat the Viper even with 50 hp less if GM does it right.

7. True true. I'll look for the article but I doubt I'll find it. All American so dosen't matter that much to me either way.

8. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Lingenfelter</i>
    <b>alright boys and girls. Lets start with the Z06 can keep up but not beat the current viper (the viper doesn't even beat it by car lenghts)
    Viper a good car but still aint as big of a legend as the Corvette
    Corvette's interior is much better the only thing the viper has on the vette is 2 more cylinders.
    Gt-40 knowing ford this thing will become a joke look at the mustang it was good back in the 60's early 70's then when the 5.0 came out in the late 80's now they are a joke pussy cars and old man cars
    The new Cobra is alright but throw a supercharger on any camaro and she will eat the mustang alive. I hope Gt-40 will be a good car. But lets face it Chevy is gonna get pissed off one of these days and put the TigerShark into production and blow the doors of everything on the street</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You are right, the Z06 can't beat the current Viper. Not even car lengths? Pffft. The Viper smokes the Corvette. The new Viper will smoke it even more.

No, its not as big of a legend as the Corvette. Nor is it as a big of a legend as the GT-40. That doesn't have anything to do with performance in this era.

Corvette interior is much better? It may have more features, but I like the Viper interior much better. A lot more race like.

Only thing the Viper has on Corvette is 2 more cylinders? What about faster? Quicker Acceleration? Better times around the track? Bigger engine? More horsepower? More torque? The list goes on.

Until Chevy does make a car that can compete, they are nothing. Don't go bringing up the future, because I could do the same thing and say Ford or Dodge will raise the standard of the GT-40 or Viper.<!-- Signature -->

9. Quote from Lingenfelter
    alright boys and girls. Lets start with the Z06 can keep up but not beat the current viper (the viper doesn't even beat it by car lenghts)
    Corvette's interior is much better the only thing the viper has on the vette is 2 more cylinders.
    Gt-40 knowing ford this thing will become a joke look at the mustang it was good back in the 60's early 70's then when the 5.0 came out in the late 80's now they are a joke pussy cars and old man cars
    The new Cobra is alright but throw a supercharger on any camaro and she will eat the mustang alive. I hope Gt-40 will be a good car. But lets face it Chevy is gonna get pissed off one of these days and put the TigerShark into production and blow the doors of everything on the street

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What in God's name are you talkin about, the 5.0 came out long before the late 80's son, get your information right before you start posting, and yea, I would suppose a camaro w/ a supercharger might beat the new cobra, but a 4.6 vs. a 5.7 ever fair? Anyways when we get down to it Chevy guys have always dispised us Mustang Drivers. Anyways Ford has gotten set on making performance cars again. The Gt-40 will be great, no matter what.

------------
    Camaro and Vette boys talk so much junk, but where are they on SCCA race day? Behind Saleen and Steeda is that last place I saw em.

10. see the story of how ford came with design is simple. guy was eating a doughnut and trying to make a chevy lookalike when all of a sudden he dropped his coffee all over the computer and something happen - the hp increased, they got a different gear ratio and the power incresed. they were so surprised they stood there for 3 yrs, later the ford team came by and saw them dead to the bone and a doggy came in and chewed them all up. later the guy that walked in made this and called it crap i mean ford. later, gm got mad and whipped out cien

see how simple it all was?? heheheheh hahahahah and ford and viper? just get out of the race u take up too much space. the c5-r will take care of u #%$s all. it wins at least one first place each race in their team. this is just a complete joke ford gt40 hahahaha mclren 1997 will beat this lol and thats pretty dern sad

11. All I am going to ask is one question from all of you. Please don't bullshit..

How the hell can a Z06 with way less power, way cheaper, and less expectations even compete with a more powerful, more expensive, legend Ford GT40?

The Viper is the only one I think that will even stand a chance against the GT40. I know this really means nothing but Ford commented about the GT40 saying that it will handily beat a Viper.<!-- Signature -->

12. alright boys and girls. Lets start with the Z06 can keep up but not beat the current viper (the viper doesn't even beat it by car lenghts)
    The new Cobra is alright but throw a supercharger on any camaro and she will eat the mustang alive. I hope Gt-40 will be a good car. But lets face it Chevy is gonna get pissed off one of these days and put the TigerShark into production and blow the doors of everything on the street<!-- Signature -->

13. GT40 up against the Viper and Z06

There is no way this GT40 can stand up against the Viper or even the Z06. Sure it has the horsepower but do we have any perfomance numbers? The new Viper coming out with 500 will do sub four second 0-60 with the Z06 doing it already as well. Think the GT40 will do the same? Well you forget the Viper will be a convertible, if the GT40 can stand up to the convertible it won't match up against the coupe. Not to get all of you GT40 people fans angry at me or anything. Good thing Ford finally gets into the real sports car area with this and the new Cobra. <!-- Signature -->

14. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hotrod</i>
    <b>Both are going to have 5oohp. The GT40 is a lightweight mid-engined LeMans racecar while the viper is a heavy front-engined monsteruos wonder and the Vette is a somewhat light FR The Gt40 handles like a dream while the Viper handles worse then a tank and the Vette handle well.

Corvette: USA true sportscar.
    Viper: USA overrated car.
    GT40: USA lengend.
    Every country has these 3 types of cars.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Idiots like you don't deserve to have posting previleges. The Viper HANDLES BETTER THAN THE CORVETTE. Seriously, have you been living in a hole? Viper's are always incorporated as bad handlers, they are not. They are excellent handlers. The Viper is not even a sports car like the Corvette, Viper is a Supercar, and a lot faster than the Vette. You can say anything you want, but don't deny the truth.

Also, the Vette only weighs like 100 pounds less than the Viper.

How do you know the GT-40 handles like a dream? Do you have one? Has it been tested? Idiot. Don't even make those kind of assumptions, you make yourself look like a fool.

My bet will be on the Viper. The 2002 Viper already kills the Vette in pretty much everything, handling, speed, acceration, you name it, so the new Viper will do it even better. I don't know about the GT-40, it should be a close one. I would think the Viper will pull out on top because of better handling and acceleration. Also, the Viper is going to be way less expensive than the GT-40. I can't wait for them to be tested though, something I am looking forward too.<!-- Signature -->

15. I think the GT40 will win out against the Viper because both have the same horsepower and the GT40 is supposed to weigh less, but it will be close. I don't think the Z06 will stand up to Viper or GT40 unless they up the power on it. I look forward to seeing some test on the GT40 so we can get real numbers. Until then it is only speculation and personal preference as to looks.

16. You all forget that the C5 will be bowing to the C6 pretty soon. And no, the viper does not handle better than the z06. Just because it creates high g's doesnt make it a better handler. G's have nothing to do with body roll or anything like that. Dont expect the c6 to beat the viper or the gt40 at first. Wait for the super performance model. Im thinking it will be priced between the z06 and the zr1. It should make very good performance nimbers to compete with these two. <!-- Signature -->

17. The Viper does handle good I'm sorry. 70+mph slalom means alot. I don't know why everyone thinks Vipers can't handle. If they have one problem its the back spinning from too much power and not enough weight, but Vipers do handle.<!-- Signature -->

18. "If they have one problem its the back spinning from too much power and not enough weight".

Exactly! That's a handling aspect. If you can't power in turns hard, it's "lacking in the handling department. That's where mid-engine design comes into play.

19. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from blazerebel</i>
    <b>You all forget that the C5 will be bowing to the C6 pretty soon. </b></blockquote><center><hridth="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

C6 or not, it still can't compete without more power.

20. The Viper actually has MORE weight on the back (52%) then on the front (48%). Strange considering the huge engine in the Front.<!-- Signature -->

21. this car will slay the Viper and Z06<!-- Signature -->

22. If thats true, then it will also DEMOLISH any and every Porsche.<!-- Signature -->

23. Wrong. The only times the Corvette beat the Viper was when it went up against the Viper RT/10. The RT/10 just doesn't handle as good as the GTS does. Why compare the top-of-the-line Corvette, to the lower class Viper? The Corvette also went up against the GTS twice, and won both times. I also think that Viper didn't have ABS, which it does now. So I think the Viper would beat the Corvette even more.<!-- Signature -->

24. We will just have to see if the GT40 can keep up agasint the Z06 when it comes out. I think that a car with an expected base price of $100,000 to $120,000 should be better than a car cheaper than it and ecpecialy if the GT40 has more power and is lighter weight.

Oh yeah did I mention that the Z06 did better on the skid pad than a Porsche Turbo and a Ferrari 360 Modena!!! Also has more power than a 360 Modena!!! And is quiker than a 360 Modena, but the 360 Modena has better overall handling than the Z06.

So if you say that what ever car is better than the GT40 or is worse than the GT40 you really cant say that, because you cant even get the GT40 yet.

25. GT 40 got to agree with you, damn this holidays. ahh well there is always tomorow to look forward too.LOL