Re: I wish I could get a hold of one of these babies

Discussion in '1989 Mazda RX-7 GTUs' started by 96stanggt, Aug 10, 2002.

1. hey i have a 1986 rx7 gxl also. mine is fully loaded and came with a kit. how bout yours.<!-- Signature -->

2. oops<!-- Signature -->

3. I wish I could get a hold of one of these babies

Used to own a 91' coupe with the smaller brakes and the open rear end. its gone now ;( if any one knows of a GTUs out there, holla back a true RX-7 fanatic.
    <!-- Signature -->

4. the two smoothest, and most linear engines in the world are the inline six, and the wankel/ rotary engines made by Mazda. The wankel is a feat of engineering that has been grossly overlooked by car enthusiastes. Although hard on gas, RX7's are a blast to drive. The engine is light, POWERFUL, and begs to be pushed to its 8000rpm redline. The RX7 is awsome which is why I also, "wish I could get a hold of one of these babies".

5. heard about one in Georgia, i think a few years back, but haven't seen or heard of one on the market since. The GTUs is really special.<!-- Signature -->

6. stock 2nd gen rx-7's have like 30-40 more bhp

7. not just t-turb.'s either

8. R u sure about that. I was almost possitive that the only differences btw the GTUs and the GXL were advantages. I was pretty sure it had a stiffer suspension, lighter weight, and a closer ratio box. I thought the power was equal to that of the GXL, and 40 bhp down to the 200 bhp turbo.<!-- Signature -->

9. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from lovinrx7s</i>
    <b>stock 2nd gen rx-7's have like 30-40 more bhp </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

But also added a coupla kg's too

10. thue, im pretty sure... my cuzin got one and i, pretty sure he said it got more hp than this, but he dont tell me much since im only 13<!-- Signature -->

11. I have a Second Generation '86 GXL. It has about 150 hp, and it is still fast. The Second Generations grew in power to 160 hp in 1989. The '89-'91 turbos had 200 hp. Unbelievible as it may seem, I picked up my RX-7 for just $150. Yes $150!

12. I own a 89' GTUs and Paragon Racer is right. The only difference between the GTUs and the GXL were that the GTUs had a stiffer suspension, 4:10 gears, Aluminum Hood, Disc-brakes all around with 16in aluminum rims (all of the options of the turbo but without the turbo) The GTUs also has "power nothing", execpt the radio ant. it has no sun roof, no power locks or windows, too cut down on the wieght. The engine has the same hp as the GXL, at least Iam pretty sure.

13. Re: RWD vs. FWD

Yeah the hp of the GTUs is definitely the same as the gxl. the only other difference is that the GTUs came with a Torsen limited slip. the LSD was only an option on the gxl i believe. Basically, the GTUs is the sportiest non-turbo 2nd gen that u could get. In 89, there was a hp increase of 15 hp for the NA's and i think 20 for the turbos via a different intake set-up.<!-- Signature -->

14. I can't fvckin believe it. I just saw one of these babies at a gas station. i spoke with the guy, and he is the 2nd owner with no intention of selling. The paint was in pretty bad shape and it had a bunch of miles on it, but it was a huge shock to see one of the 1500 that came over here.<!-- Signature -->

15. The GTUs is basically the same as the '86 RX7 Sport. Lightest body, no power accessories, slight aero aids, aluminum hoods (though the truth is, it was a mix 'n match as to which cars had aluminum hoods, as you could find either aluminum or steel on the GXLs AND base models). Like the GTUs, the Sport had the turbo's brakes and suspension, though the LSD was optional, not standard.

I had an '86 Sport. Autocrossed it for a year in rotary form (145 hp), until the engine blew up (typical of the early 13B 6 port engines, it had fuel delivery issues, both flooding and running lean. Running lean will blow up a rotary almost instantly...). So I modded it. Just a stock rebuild was going to cost $2500.A used engine cost less, but no guarantees it would last more than a week. A 20B 3 rotor cost $6000+ at the time.

OTOH, I had a nearly 400 hp Ford 302 sitting there out of a friend's drag car. So for $20 in steel for the mounts, I swapped it in place of the dead 145 hp rotary. Due to engine setback, it had better weight distribution than stock for even better handling than stock. the engine itself only weighed 100 lbs more than stock and it sat far back in the engine compartment so it was still front-mid engine.

That gave me serious amounts of torque and hp, in a well balanced and well built chassis. Anyone who thinks I should have just built a Mustang or Camaro must think that other than the engine, there is no difference between an RX7 and a Mustang. We all know that's not true. There is a LOT of difference in the build quality, chassis dynamics (which were not negatively affected) ergonomics, and style.<!-- Signature -->

16. Zero, did you carjack that RX7 and spent 150 bucks on crajacking tools?<!-- Signature -->

17. if u want one u should buy mine! its for sale its a 90 prolly sell it 3200 best, i got pics

18. i got a '89 blu one in near perfect condition, auto now, completely stock. i LOVE the handles on the car. i might sell it, still thinking. i want a fd3s or a rx8. the engin is completely rebuilt. brand new internals, has only 800m on it.

19. Re:

I see one of these every day on my way to school. It's sitting at the end of someone's driveway and has been for over a month. Maybe I should go and see if it is for sale.