Re: Lotus Elise Vs. Porsche Boxster S??????

Discussion in '2002 Lotus Elise Type 72' started by CarreraGtRacer, Aug 10, 2002.

1. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Bukem</i>
    <b>Hmm, interesting.

Gotta say that I have had no problems with Boxsters of any flavour on or off track. My Elise outruns standard Boxsters to 60 no problem. Boxster S is about equal to 60 in my experience.

When it comes to the track though, they don't keep pace - too much weight, dialled in undesteer, and not exactly the stiffest chassis that I've driven means that on track they tend to wallow and roll in the corners.

Boxster S's usually pull away on straights, get haulled in under braking, then as they are either tiptoeing around the apex, or understeering wide of the racing line, the Elise tracks cleanly through and nails past on the exit.

On the road, I've found that Boxster owners are all to eager to show their straight - line ability, but they lose all confidence in the twisty bits. Ran wheel-to-wheel with an S up to about 100, the carriageway took a nice arcing bend to the left and I took it at full throttle. Looked over for the boxster, and he was gone - completely backed off, lost his nerve.

Hope that's not considered as biased - its just testimony. I'm not going to pretend that my Elise beats everything - a lot of its down to the driver.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Boxsters are known for turnings and you say your Elise can take the Boxster out on the track? Your kidding right?<!-- Signature -->

2. The Elise is very, very accomplished on the track. I have know doubt that the Elise would beat the Boxster with two equal drivers. As an example of how good the Elise is, it is only marginally slower than the Esprit V8 on Lotus’s Hethal circuit and faster than the S4S.

What I think is sad is that what we should be comparing had Lotus got it right was the Boxster Vs M250. Now that would have been a race of likes.
    <!-- Signature -->

3. Who said I was a Porsche hater?
    The Boxster doesn't really do anything for me........yeah it's a bloody good car but compared to the Elise it's not a better driver's car.<!-- Signature -->

4. Don't even waste your time with that comparison. A Boxter S would cook an Elise off the road in 0-60 and most certainly in 0-100. The Elise may have slightly better handling than the Boxster S; however, the Boxster S has great handling and it's 60 onward acceleration will dominate an Elise even on a track. A better comparison would be a regular Boxster versus an Elise.

5. A regular Elise vs. a regular Boxster would've been closer. The Boxster S is better then this but I know a few Lotus lover crackheads that say Lotus Elise is better then all Porsches.<!-- Signature -->

6. I believe the correct name for those people are biased idiots.

7. Hmm, interesting.

Gotta say that I have had no problems with Boxsters of any flavour on or off track. My Elise outruns standard Boxsters to 60 no problem. Boxster S is about equal to 60 in my experience.

When it comes to the track though, they don't keep pace - too much weight, dialled in undesteer, and not exactly the stiffest chassis that I've driven means that on track they tend to wallow and roll in the corners.

Boxster S's usually pull away on straights, get haulled in under braking, then as they are either tiptoeing around the apex, or understeering wide of the racing line, the Elise tracks cleanly through and nails past on the exit.

On the road, I've found that Boxster owners are all to eager to show their straight - line ability, but they lose all confidence in the twisty bits. Ran wheel-to-wheel with an S up to about 100, the carriageway took a nice arcing bend to the left and I took it at full throttle. Looked over for the boxster, and he was gone - completely backed off, lost his nerve.

Hope that's not considered as biased - its just testimony. I'm not going to pretend that my Elise beats everything - a lot of its down to the driver.<!-- Signature -->

8. Don't worry. You're way too mature and knowledgeable to fit in the biased idiotic SC.net member category. <!-- Signature -->

9. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from CarreraGtRacer</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Brit cars rule</i>
    <b>Who said I was a Porsche hater?
    The Boxster doesn't really do anything for me........yeah it's a bloody good car but compared to the Elise it's not a better driver's car.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->And would you like to tell me how it is not a better driver's car? Lets put it this way...The Lotus is a good car in turnings as I was told. All Porsches are known for turnings and if you didn't know this than go ask someone with a bit of knowledge on Porsches. So everyone is saying that the Lotus Elise would take the Boxster S out on the track right? Thats your point right? Okay now say the track was windy...this thing only was about 1667 lbs. and the Boxster S was a lot more heavier and yet had better acceleration and a better topspeed. On a straight away the Boxster S would kill it and like I said before all Porsches have good handling and turnings so the Boxster S would still remain ahead. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Ok, here's how we'll prove it. You stop relying on 'hearsay' or conjecture, and rock up to any track day in the UK - watch in amazement as the Elises zip past the Boxsters present time and time again. This is not bias or 'hatred' for Porsche - I think the cars are generally very good, and the brand is excellently managed, its just what happens on the track.

If you don't believe me, ask any number of motoring journalists - the Elise was Autocar's best drivers car of the year in 2001 (beat the M3, 360 Modena, Noble M12GTO etc), or the American mag that placed it second to the 360 Modena. Or ask anyone who's driven both a Boxster S and an Elise (like I have) to compare the experience. I was 2 seconds a lap quicker in my standard Elise than I was in the Boxster.

The boxster is a fairly benign car in the handling department. For my money, its too heavy, the chassis isn't stiff enough, and the handling has dialled in understeer (to protect all those trophy wives driving their first mid-engined, RWD sports car). All in all, its nowhere near as agile, nor is it easy to carry high speeds through corners. Its a bit too soft and a bit too baggy, but it is still a very capable motor. Its no great track car though, unlike the marvellous GT2s and GT3s that regularly eat my Elise for breakfast at the track.<!-- Signature -->

10. As you said.........I think he needs a trip down to a local track day to prove this point...........seeing is believing!<!-- Signature -->

11. i don't care if the boxer s is faster, i'll still take the elise. there r too many boxers out there, driving one would just make me look like everyone else. yes boxer s is a good car, but this elise got the style and the enginering. it might not be as fast, but it's certainly an eye catcher to a lotta ppl on the road<!-- Signature -->

12. I agree that boxter s can't beat the elise on the track
    with is softer suspension setting,it's just like a 360modena
    beating the 911turbo on the track.

13. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from banpreso</i>
    <b>i don't care if the boxer s is faster, i'll still take the elise. there r too many boxers out there, driving one would just make me look like everyone else. yes boxer s is a good car, but this elise got the style and the enginering. it might not be as fast, but it's certainly an eye catcher to a lotta ppl on the road</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->That's true.

14. Lotus Elise Vs. Porsche Boxster S??????

Which one is better? I'd go for the Porsche. Better Specs and better looks.<!-- Signature -->

15. Put it this way:

How many times have I lost to a Boxster whether it be on the track or the road............errrr never

How many times have I beaten an Elise on the track............errrrr never.

I'm not a great driver but to say a Boxster could beat an Elise on the track is pretty silly...........it's amazing how stats on an internet site will warp kid's brains!<!-- Signature -->

16. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Brit cars rule</i>
    <b>Put it this way:

How many times have I lost to a Boxster whether it be on the track or the road............errrr never

How many times have I beaten an Elise on the track............errrrr never.

I'm not a great driver but to say a Boxster could beat an Elise on the track is pretty silly...........it's amazing how stats on an internet site will warp kid's brains!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->It's amazing how Porsche Haterz and Lotus Loverz are so frickin biased. <!-- Signature -->

17. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Brit cars rule</i>
    <b>Who said I was a Porsche hater?
    The Boxster doesn't really do anything for me........yeah it's a bloody good car but compared to the Elise it's not a better driver's car.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->And would you like to tell me how it is not a better driver's car? Lets put it this way...The Lotus is a good car in turnings as I was told. All Porsches are known for turnings and if you didn't know this than go ask someone with a bit of knowledge on Porsches. So everyone is saying that the Lotus Elise would take the Boxster S out on the track right? Thats your point right? Okay now say the track was windy...this thing only was about 1667 lbs. and the Boxster S was a lot more heavier and yet had better acceleration and a better topspeed. On a straight away the Boxster S would kill it and like I said before all Porsches have good handling and turnings so the Boxster S would still remain ahead. <!-- Signature -->

18. Boxter s is rated the best roadster by many car magazine.

19. Who said anything about a 360 Modena beating a 911 Turbo on a track?

20. Anyone that says a porsche boxter s will beat an elise on the track, or on a windy road for that matter, is an idiot. Plain and simple, and idiot. The elise has a higher hairpin apex speed and lateral acceleration than a ferrari 360. I dare you to compare the boxter to the ferrari.

21. hi i'm just some lame person that perfers sport bikes, but... I couldn't help but mention that it seems rediculous for anyone to think that the porche's 252 vs 120 HP advantage would make it faster on track than the elise..

I mean, this is supercars.net.. read the specs, since thats what some of you are best at...

yes it has more HP, but it wieghs how much more? 2855/1667..

now what some of you spec readers don't know (cuz you probably can't even drive yet) but the less your car weighs, the less HP you need to get it moving! that's why sport bikes are so freaking fast (a stock liter bike will run low 10 second quarter mile)

just for the sake of arguement.. lets look at Hp/lb ratios..

boxer S = .088 HP/lb
    boxer = .073 HP/lb
    lotus = .072 HP/lb

So here we see, all of a suddon things become a little less.. "oh WOW
    the Porche has double the lotus's power, therefore must kill it on the track"

needless to say, whoever that guy was that says he's raced both, and draged both, seems to be right under this analysis. He said that he could take the regular boxer on straight (fairly close hp/lb so its believable since the lotus has more tire/pound)

he also said that on straights the S would take off, which is also believable..

but in anycase, tossing around car that weighs 1200 lb's heavier on a track... well nowonder the suspension feels loose..

inanycase, sorry for the long post, just wanted to bring some "stats" for those lack the licence to do much else than compare stats!

I'm not a regular... just thought I'd say hi!

hi

-siv

PS, funny how a stock sport bikes get 0.34 hp/lb... and you see kids in thier mammas civic's trying to race em.. lol.. fun... cheers

22. Who keeps doing this?? On almost every thread someone is saying this vs. this and this. Quit, its annoying. And its usually something vs. the Viper or the McLaren.

23. D~U~H~

ELISE would smoke boxter's ass~~anytime,anywhere

24. nice ass car dont even compare to boxter boxster brings shame to porsche its a gurls porsche no tru porsche lover would have 1

25. I agree that the Boxster is an insult to real Porsches, but don't go around calling it a "gurl's" car. Girls who know anything about cars wouldn't want one. The only girls who do have them are the ditzy trophy wives whose husbands buy them for them. You wouldn't get this girl near one.