Re: Mustang Cobra?

Discussion in '2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1' started by LamboOwner, Aug 9, 2002.

1. No I don't think so.<!-- Signature -->

2. Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that the Mach 1 was designed by a third party. The Mach 1 was designed in Ford's Living Legends Studio in Dearborn, Michigan, where all other Mustangs, plus the Thunderbird and the GT40, are designed.

3. Mustang Cobra?

Sounds like a Mustang Cobra with a ram air hood and a spiffy paint job. Add in some coilovers, lightweight race wheels, and some Sparco bucket seats and then maybe I'll be intrested. Oversized brakes with steel braided brake lines and a dry sump oil system wouldn't hurt either.

4. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from MrCarrera</i>
    <b>Sounds like a Mustang Cobra with a ram air hood and a spiffy paint job. Add in some coilovers, lightweight race wheels, and some Sparco bucket seats and then maybe I'll be intrested. Oversized brakes with steel braided brake lines and a dry sump oil system wouldn't hurt either.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->It has the Cobra engine but the GT look with Mach 1 styling.<!-- Signature -->

5. Check your shit man. If it had the cobra engine it would have the same performance specs. It might have some componenets that are similar, but it's not the same engine.<!-- Signature -->

6. Thats right. Technically it isn't a Cobra engine, and Ford wants to be carful that it doesn't receive that designation. It has a DOHC 4.6L but has better low-end torque because of the cams, which I beleive are from a 5.4L dohc. The Cobra also doesn't have ram air. This car is suppose to be the mid-trim level between the 260hp GT and the now almost 400hp Cobra.

7. Re: not good enough

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from oldraven</i>
    <b>Check your shit man. If it had the cobra engine it would have the same performance specs. It might have some componenets that are similar, but it's not the same engine.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Trust me its the same engine. It will have more hp when it hits the dealership.<!-- Signature -->

8. Its basicly the last gen cobra engine, with different parts that dont allow the same power. Not sure here, but I'll bet the extra 20 Hp of the old cobra is due to higher compression than found in this car.<!-- Signature -->

9. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sparetire</i>
    <b>Its basicly the last gen cobra engine, with different parts that dont allow the same power. Not sure here, but I'll bet the extra 20 Hp of the old cobra is due to higher compression than found in this car.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->good idea<!-- Signature -->

10. remember how the old cobra had around 300 instead of he 320, ford mainly changed the exhuast flow and changed the air flow and bit more tweak to get the 320hp. so yah it does have the same cobra tech but not some of the parts that makes it a old cobra

11. The mach 1 serves two purposes:

1) It is part 2 of a currently 4 part series of special edition Mustangs Part 1: the 35th anniversary GT, Part 2: Bullit, Part 3: Mach 1, and Part 4 is the BOSS 302 that will be built when the Mustang is re-designed in a couple of years.

2) The Mach 1 is last years Cobra but with the 8.8 solid axle rear end instead of the IRS rear suspension. The IRS was a great rear end as far as handling was concerned, but bolt on a pair of slicks and take it drag racing, and the IRS couldn't hold the power. Many 2001 Cobra drag racers ended up replacing the IRS with the solid axle 8.8.

An interesting side note for the Mach 1 is that Ford never made the original concept for the 2003 Mach 1, it was a concept built by a third party, and based on the response Ford received from people on the Internet, they decided to build the car.

Thumbs up to Ford for listening to the public and giving us what we want.

12. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 82agbulit</i>
    <b>The mach 1 serves two purposes:

1) It is part 2 of a currently 4 part series of special edition Mustangs Part 1: the 35th anniversary GT, Part 2: Bullit, Part 3: Mach 1, and Part 4 is the BOSS 302 that will be built when the Mustang is re-designed in a couple of years.

2) The Mach 1 is last years Cobra but with the 8.8 solid axle rear end instead of the IRS rear suspension. The IRS was a great rear end as far as handling was concerned, but bolt on a pair of slicks and take it drag racing, and the IRS couldn't hold the power. Many 2001 Cobra drag racers ended up replacing the IRS with the solid axle 8.8.

An interesting side note for the Mach 1 is that Ford never made the original concept for the 2003 Mach 1, it was a concept built by a third party, and based on the response Ford received from people on the Internet, they decided to build the car.

Thumbs up to Ford for listening to the public and giving us what we want.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

That's true, though I believe the original design was by Team Mustang not a third party.

You bring up a good point, I think that a lot of people want a solid rear axle mustang with HP numbers up with the new Cobras.

13. I just think its kind of cheap that the upcoming cobra has to use a supercharger to get the kind of performance GM can get out of their cars. Then again our engine is bigger. But who cares, why did i write this<!-- Signature -->

14. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from TrannySpeed</i>
    <b>I just think its kind of cheap that the upcoming cobra has to use a supercharger to get the kind of performance GM can get out of their cars. Then again our engine is bigger. But who cares, why did i write this</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

If by cheap you mean 420hp of asphalt shredding power, then yeah it is cheap. If you mean that its not fair that the mustang has a sc to produce all that hp, then your wrong. The mustang is getting redesigned in 2004, why would they put a new NA engine in it that produces 420hp, when all they needed to do was put a SC on it. If they would have built a new engine for this it would have jacked the price up way to much! They did that so the price could be lower and we could still have a car that will kick ass at the drag strip and a race with turns and all that fun stuff.

15. WELL WHY IS FORD BRINGIN ALL THESE SUPER POWERFUL CARS OUT NOW? THERE IS NO COMPETITION. THIS WONT BE ABLE TO BEAT EVEN A SPEC Z28 AND DEFINATLY NOT A SS. HOLD ON I KNOW WHAT U ARE GOIN TO SAY, WELL THE 03 COBRA CAN, WELL THE 02 Z06 WILL SMOKE A COBRA ANYDAY.<!-- Signature -->

16. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from bmwmpower24</i>
    <b>WELL WHY IS FORD BRINGIN ALL THESE SUPER POWERFUL CARS OUT NOW? THERE IS NO COMPETITION. THIS WONT BE ABLE TO BEAT EVEN A SPEC Z28 AND DEFINATLY NOT A SS. HOLD ON I KNOW WHAT U ARE GOIN TO SAY, WELL THE 03 COBRA CAN, WELL THE 02 Z06 WILL SMOKE A COBRA ANYDAY.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

So we're in a Mach1 thread, you start babbling about Z28s, and cars it cant beat, and then bring up a Cobra/Z06 comparison?? Well, thats great, they are already pretty sold out and they havnt even been produced yet...so I dont think anyone cares. And by the way, a Viper can smoke a Z06...so what exactly is your point lil' Bimmer Boy ? Why do you ask why Ford is bringing them out now? Is your dumb @$$ blind boy? Read some of the earlier posts before you just go posting questions that were already answered.

17. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from bmwmpower24</i>
    <b>WELL WHY IS FORD BRINGIN ALL THESE SUPER POWERFUL CARS OUT NOW? THERE IS NO COMPETITION. THIS WONT BE ABLE TO BEAT EVEN A SPEC Z28 AND DEFINATLY NOT A SS. HOLD ON I KNOW WHAT U ARE GOIN TO SAY, WELL THE 03 COBRA CAN, WELL THE 02 Z06 WILL SMOKE A COBRA ANYDAY.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Theirs a little button on you keyboard called the cap lock button, you see it, ok then, hit the f^cking thing now.
    As far as the mach 1 being beat by a z28 and ss, um probably not. The ss runs around a 13.4, and the z28 alittle slower. The mach 1 runs a 13.4( in bad conditions), so it probably won't get beaten. It will all come down to the driver.

18. You would think to open the market share back up to those who want performance cars without the z06 price tag... 10-15k more? Hello, I'll take the Cobra, open up both the intake and exhaust, as they are very restricted to meet federal noise standards... and then I'll let you know when I see a Z06 around...
    Anyone care to make an appt.?

19. Where does the 2004 1\2 Come in to that LOL i never heard of the new Boss 302??? Plus ive seen Drawings of the new 2004 1\2 Looks like an Austin martin mixed with mustang. kinda Vantage V8 looking.

20. i don't know if it has the same engine, but from what i've read this does have 320 hp. and i can't base this on anything but i've got a feeling that it'll out perform the Cobra (and no i'm not talking about the 390hp one)

21. Um K not to be a sell out or anything, but a 2002 ss runs bout flat 13.2s and the TransAm Fire bird, does 13.0 for some reason the F-bird gets a better time don't ask me why they use all the same ****ing parts, maybe airo dymanics or something and i think the Fbird ways 100 pounds less if that matters at all. But yeah this Mach 1 Stang won't touch either of those cars as far as i can tell by the stats. It does seem that the mach uses the cobra engine, gt engine same thing, they are both 4.6 one just has higher compresion and cobra has dohc while gt has a sohc and other slight modsto the cobra but both are maxed out at the same hp, anyways, i don't understand why this one only has 300 hp when the 01 cobra had 320. Also the 03 has 390 not 420 like someone else mentioned. Oh and for the record I would still take a stang over an Fbody any day.

22. If there is no competition than that means more sales, more sales are good, arnt they?

and a Z06 is a 60 thousand dollar car
    A mustang cobra is a 34 thousand dollar car.

the performance specs are fairly close

the Z06 just edges out the cobra, and by no means smokes it.

not bad for a car that is 25 thousand dollars less and not even in the same class, is it?

23. hmmm..apples to apples..the 2002 camaro ss posted a 13.25 @109 on street tires right....well this puny lil mach one with its cube deficient 4.6 and 4 cams ran a 13.117 @ 105 on street tires as well....seems ford doesnt need a blower to beat compareable chevrolet vehicles......as much as i like f-bodies i think u need to see the hard facts...and as for comparing a mustang to your vette....you are sadly mistaken...it takes a z-06 to beat it in the quarter mile and is only 32,000...base msrp on vettes are 46000.....you can see my point right..im not going to throw the vast tuner mustangs (roush,saleen,steeda,kenny brown,sean hyland motorsport) that offer z-06 killing performance in all aspects for lower prices.....i absolutely love the corvette...but its the ignorant chevy people out there that i hate..and the reason i will never think of owning one. Chevy people get off your high horse..quit thumbing your snobby noses at people....i think its hilarious..you go to a chevy page and u see ford and chevy people giving those cars props..you go to a ford page and us ford guys have to defend our beloved cars from the like of Fords suck and my friends corvette z-06..blah blah blah blah....not too mention the slew of civic peoples....why cant u just enjoy another type of car...in all likelyhood you have had maybe one or 2 experiences with a ford and hundreds with a chevrolet...i am willing to bet that they werent all good and all bad in both cases....why dont u grow up and broaden your horizons...why dont you just accept that this is a good cheap car in its own rights and let bygones be bygones...and ill see ya at the track yes i used this elsewhere but it fits here too

24. the mach 1 will beat a z28 and if the driver isnt a retard it will also stand up to the ss beating it some of the time, and and the zo6 will not smoke the 03' cobra it might not even beat it with track times of 12.4, 12.6, I dont really see the zo6 (12.6) SMOKING the 03' cobra.

25. actually it's more like this

1.99' 35th anniversary gt
    2.00' feture car (has two strips on the hood that say gt)
    3.01' bullit
    4.03' mach 1
    5.--' posibly a boss 302 im not sure ive herd of it hapaning though