Re: My S2000 beats any car.

Discussion in '2000 Honda S2000' started by VR4, Aug 9, 2002.

1. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SeansVette</i>
    <b>I swear to god every Sushi Burners rebuttal is, "my friends car this, my mother's car that, your Mustang got beat by a baseball bat."

Dude, you're inserting an arguement that had nothing to do with my post or the reason I was posting it. Mr. Rocket Scientist was telling me the HP formula I posted was BS, and I was simply telling him he doesn't know Dick. (for you moderators I meant Dick as in Richard). </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I knew you meant Richard, and I like that your "Sushi Burner Rebuttal" rhymed.

As for the formula, I've never heard anyone dispute it before, but here's my explanation of it: Power is defined in physics as Work divided by Time. You can't dispute that, it's a definition; the concept of power is meaningless unless you agree to that definition. Work is defined as Force times Distance. Thus, by combining the two definitions, you get the formula:

Force*Distance
    Power = --------------
    Time

Horsepower is a unit of Power, so its "formula" should follow the definition above. You - SeansVette and everyone else - are saying that Horsepower is Torque*RPM/5252. Torque is a rotational FORCE with the SI unit newton-meter (N*M), and RPM is an angular DISTANCE (1 revolution) divided by a TIME (1 minute). When you mutliply Torque by RPM, you get a force (the newton-meter), times a distance (the revolution), divided by a time (the minute). As you can (or cannot) see, that result is in the same form as the definition of Power I showed earlier: power equals force times distance over time. The number 5252 comes from unit conversions (minutes to seconds, radians/degrees and meters to feet, newtons to pounds, etc.) and is really not that important when understanding the concept. You can confirm this result, if you have some time to kill, buy looking at various Dyno graphs and converting the torque to horsepower manually and comparing those results with the ones generated by the computer. They should be the same.

I hope that made some sense, and I hope that people don't stop posting here. I seem to have killed another thread with my explanation of nitrous oxide. After my chemistry schpeal, no one posted. Now I can't even find where I posted that message. Anyone know where it was or how I could find it?<!-- Signature -->

2. yes, you were both argueing about hp, and i am saying that it is pointless because i have witnessed several hp upsets, i gave a good example w/ the eclipse. earlier i used a mountaineer, and i don't even bother with my own car because its not even a race, i just leave them (with every stang i come up against, and many are v8). i am trying to show you that, power/weight ratio or no, mustangs consecutively get beat by "lesser" cars. i am saying that from my own personal experience, hp means very little in actually determining which car will win a race (since this is the current debate in this forum). it depends on several factors: power, weight, torque, gearing, suspension, wheels, and even tires.

3. My S2000 beats any car.

Hey guys,
    I read most of your messages and those americans ... DONT YOU EVEN TALK ABOUT S2000 LIKE THAT UNLESS YOU DRIVEN IT! Forget those american cars, and European(2 expansive to buy or to modify) except some.
    I ain't some rich chinese guy. I am just some guy who spends all his money on his car instead of food or anything else.I have a 2001 S2000 and modified it. here is a list of what I got in my car:
    Supercharger
    Fuel Pressure Regulator
    Electronic Signal Modifier
    Flywheel, Comptech Sport - Lightweight Steel
    Swaybar, Front Adjustable
    Headers, Stainless Steel
    Quiet Tip Insert
    Cold Air Intake
    Ice Box, 94-01 GSR
    Brake Pads, Front - Competition
    Adjustable Sport Springs
    Exhaust, Power Pro - S/S Cat-Back
    and the list goes on
    I also tried to install NOS but I love my car alot so I didn't.
    As I tested my car it has 400-450 HP, Almost 350 torque... That is the shit.
    It is so fast that sometimes it is hard to maintain the car.
    I have also raced NSX, M3, SLK(2 easy, made the guy cry), Boxter S (Got smoked, he came 2 me and said WTF, he was dissipointed becuase it hadn't even been a month since he bought it), 911 carrera, Civics, MR2, I want to add M5 but I never see a young guy who wants to race driving it. the thing about honda is that Honda cars are easy cheap and best choice to upgrade. I am looking for good looking special like 1 in a country body kits if you know anyone reply to this message, money is no object here(well it is kinda).
    Anyway
    If you have any car I'll race you even if its a peace of crab.<!-- Signature -->

4. good stuff. i also am a very happy s2ooo owner. i have put in springs (Neuspeed), Spoon X-brace, and comptech air filter. who's air box and exhaust did you buy, and why did you decide on tha company? i would like to know, because i was thinking of those mods myself.

5. Oh really? Let me explain something to you...you might make 450 horsepower with all those mods...but I can spend 2500 bucks to trick out a V8 and have 500 horsepower at the rear wheels. It all comes down to cubic inches.<!-- Signature -->

6. LOL! It cracks me up when Rice Burners modify the crap out of their cars and then brag about how fast they are. That means nothing! What ever you do to a Honda you can do similar things to an American car and get better results. Ever seen what an Chevy LS1 or a Ford 4.6L DOHC engine is capable of when it's supercharged? The results are un-fricking-believable! We're not talking about "net-numbers", we're talking about real power.
    American cars were being modified and street raced before most of you were even a sperm.
    The S2000 isn't a bad car (for a Honda), but for the price you can easily pick up a better American car.

I've noticed many of you on the board don't live in the United States. I can't speak for the car industry in Australia, Japan, England, etc. But if you do live in the US you CAN NOT BEAT American performance for the same amount of money.

I challenge you. Name a stock import, and I will name a stock American car that can outperform it for less money. <!-- Signature -->

7. Mitsubishi Lancer Evo7.

8. Let's see the dyno chart.

9. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from VR4</i>
    <b>Here ya go. It's an EvoVI though, not VII.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

0-60
    Corvette Z06= 3.9 Seconds
    Lancer Evo VI 4.4 Seconds

1/4 Mile
    Corvette Z06= 12.4 Seconds
    Lancer Evo VI 12.9 Seconds

Skidpad
    Corvette Z06= 1.00g
    Lancer Evo VI 0.95g

PRICE:
    Corvette Z06= $51,000 base
    Lancer Evo VI $57,000 base

OK, a couple points here.

FIRST OF ALL: I SAID I WAS SPEAKING ABOUT CARS SOLD IN THE US. I don't know what people pay in other countries for American, European, Japanese cars.

SECOND: I don't know the Lancer at all. I only found these stats on Supercars.net because I didn't feel like spending 40 minutes on the internet searching other sources. However, I do know that the stats on the Z06 are correct.

Now, if supercars.net IS accurate I've shown two things. The Z06 in general performs better for less money, and your example didn't fit anyway because I said I was speaking about cars sold in the US.

I will admit though (assuming this information is accurate) that the Lancer has very respectable performance without having an over inflated price (hello NSX). I was surprised to see that in a Japanese car. Now show me one that's sold in the US!

<!-- Signature -->

10. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from funkadelicpyro</i>
    <b>Nissan R390. Limited edition, nothing American comes close (well, the saleen s7 maybe, but still not as fast). And again i think that the american aftermarket is less good. no matter what you do to a mustang, IT IS STILL A BIG CAR. call me crazy, but my definition of a sports car is a small, race-bred car w/ no compromises. you can make a mustang REALLY fast, but it will never be a sports car. a dragster cannot compete w/ an f1 car in the curves, no matter how much power and torque it has. i do not believe that the s2000 is the greatest car in the world, but it deserves more respect than cars such as the mustang cobra, which, deserves no respect for its design whatsoever. it is not all about cubic inches. if it were, then a normal mustang should be able to smoke any s2000 - but it can't come close.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

No American car comes close? Hmm.. let's see. Nissan R390

Two words for you. Viper Hennessy.

0-60
    Viper Hen: 2.7 Seconds
    Nissan R390 3.9 Seconds

1/4 Mile
    Viper Hen: 10.7 Seconds
    Nissan R390 11.9 Seconds

You're right. The American car doesn't even come close, it just outright smokes it. And I promised I said "I'll name an American car that will outperform it for cheaper." The Viper Hennessy is a "little bit" cheaper. About $160,000 instead of $1,000,000.

I know I know, all you Rice Burners get smoked in a straight line so you love to stereotype American cars as big, heavy, with poor handling. The Viper Hennessy also does 1.04g on the skidpad.

Next?

<!-- Signature -->

11. The Z06 costs much more than the Lancer though, and the evo VII is coming to the US sometime in 2002, and it will cost around 27,000. And don't only compare 0-60 and 1/4 times, there are more to cars than those 2 numbers. If you want to wait til the Evo VII comes to the US, then just compare the tuned down WRX that's currently sold in the US.

12. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from VR4</i>
    <b>The Z06 costs much more than the Lancer though, and the evo VII is coming to the US sometime in 2002, and it will cost around 27,000. And don't only compare 0-60 and 1/4 times, there are more to cars than those 2 numbers. If you want to wait til the Evo VII comes to the US, then just compare the tuned down WRX that's currently sold in the US.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I don't just compare 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, I also look at handling. Nobody can deny that the Corvette Z06 handles like a champ. It's one of the closest things you can buy to a race car without painting numbers on your car.

Now if the Evo VII does come to the US, and it does mid-fours 0-60 and high 12s 1/4 mile, AND it really will cost only $27,000 I will be completely amazed. That just doesn't seem realistic for ANY car maker, especially a Japanese one. Don't take offense but that's something I will have to see to believe. <!-- Signature -->

13. Koenigsegg CC, coming out to american street on 2003, try name an american car that beats it. If not, too bad for you.

14. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from phantom</i>
    <b>Koenigsegg CC, coming out to american street on 2003, try name an american car that beats it. If not, too bad for you.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The Viper Hennessy beats it and it's just over half the price. <!-- Signature -->

15. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Guibo</i>
    <b>Doesn't that one use an American V8 from the Mustang?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Yeah, I think it's a supercharged 4.6<!-- Signature -->

16. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Ferox D</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Guibo</i>
    <b>Doesn't that one use an American V8 from the Mustang?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Yeah, I think it's a supercharged 4.6</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Actually, I think you might be right from what I've read. It's a 281 (4.6 Liter), 32 Valve engine. That's consistent with the Mustang Cobra engine. It's always been a known fact that when you supercharge a Cobra engine the results are astonishing. Now I have an example of one I can point to, if you two are correct.
    A very common argument for Japanese cars vs. Domestics is there tune ability. There are very few engines out there that react to a centrifugal supercharger as well as the Ford 4.6L DOHC.
    <!-- Signature -->

17. uhm
    hi yeah

since we are in a forum for an S2000 I'll give my piece on that first,
    Great car, I'd love a couple. Tecchnology at it's finest.

Now, the other stuff-

A Hennesey Viper, as far as I know, was at some point and time a Dodge Viper; then, Hennesey's team of people had some fun with it. The Dodge Viper uses an 8.0L V-10; thus, I would think that a V-10 would still be used.

On the whole jap/american performance thing, you don't get more than 25 miles per gallon out of an american v8 last time i've seen. If I am right a viper gets something like 10MPG, HORRIBLE!!! sure if you want to you can stuff the biggest motor you can into an american car and get great performance but 0 gas mileage. What American car gets 240 Hp out of a N/A 2.0L 4-cyl?

(more on the subject later, for now, I have to go)<!-- Signature -->

18. Actually, a Viper gets 14-16 mpg in mixed driving. So even though its engine is 4 times larger than an S2000, its gas mileage isn't 4 times worse.

19. Compare the Corvette in Gas mileage to the NSX. The vet gets better. Actually the vet gets as good gas mileage on the highway as the S2000.

For a tunable American 6, lets take the Grand National. You can tune it above 700 hp w/o nitrous. Just things that make you say hmmmmmm. Not quite as good as the Supra, but it was 5 years earlier.

20. Gas mileage huh?
    you are comparing a vett with a s2000. Well the s2000 produces 240 hp with a 2.0L 4-Cyl engine now no matter how much gas it uses it makes the 240 HP, ok anybody here knows and American, German or .. car that is like that or better?
    If you don't have anything to say, don't make excuses!
    There are limits buddy. Yes Honda can easily make a car with 1000 HP with a V10 engine but, when you look at S2k's engineering, 250 HP 4-Cyl engine, which only is 2.0 litters, that's engineering buddy. Not your big ass American car with the v8 engine who’s taking all the middle east's oil. And the stupid driver who backs up into my beautiful S2000 (which didn't happened, I hope not!) cause only they can't see it. This happened with my old car a f**king teenager with his stupid Chevrolet Silverado backed into my MR2 and the stupid ass said it was my fault that my car was to small and I parked too close to him. What a moron! First of all why the f**k would you go get a freaking truck when your only 17, what are you a freaking construction worker and second, idiot! God cant believe these people.
    . <!-- Signature -->

21. This car is cool. One problem: it can't beat an American car, get real. They look SO cool, I was very disappointed when I heard the performance stats.

America makes the greatest cars in the world, face it.

The Koenigsegg CC utilizes an all-aluminum 281 cid Lincoln motor, which was originally derived from the Mustang GT. It has little emission controls, and look at what it does. But isn't this an S2000 platform??

22. My friend and I were messing around one night and this guy in a MODIFIED S-2000 tries to race us. We kick his ass - in a 1967 Ford
    F-100 pickup. We smoked him!! My friend has less than $2000 in his whole truck ($3000 if you include his bad-ass system), INCLUDING the truck. A 180,000 mile 360 BB w/ Performer RPM Intake, Edelbrock 750 cfm Carb, Crane Cam and that's it. Fmx-180 Tranny, even. That guy was pissed...

23. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Richs72Goat</i>
    <b>My friend and I were messing around one night and this guy in a MODIFIED S-2000 tries to race us. We kick his ass - in a 1967 Ford
    F-100 pickup. We smoked him!! My friend has less than $2000 in his whole truck ($3000 if you include his bad-ass system), INCLUDING the truck. A 180,000 mile 360 BB w/ Performer RPM Intake, Edelbrock 750 cfm Carb, Crane Cam and that's it. Fmx-180 Tranny, even. That guy was pissed...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->um..yeah, i believe you. sure

and if you want torque, go get a tank, or a bulldozer, or a hummer. they got lots of torque, so they must be real fast!<!-- Signature -->

24. Well, it's true, buzz#$%#er, and torque is more important than HP. You don't have to have HP to have torque, but ya gotta have torque to have HP. Too bad physics isn't on the side of the Japanese...

25. You need both torque and Horsepower to have an effective car. Heres the equation if I remember correctly:

(Torque X RPMs)/5225=HP

This is why Torque and HP equal each other at 5225 rpms no matter what car you drive.

Think of a bucket that needs to be filled with water being HP. Domestics do this by a garden hose (using more Torque), while imports do it by high powered squirt guns (Using more RPMs).