Re: Stupid

Discussion in '1998 Caterham Super Seven' started by imprezawrx14, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Stupid

Why make a classic -resembleming car and not give it any poweR?<!-- Signature -->

2. I don't think you quite understand the potential of this car!
    Take a look at the weight, the power-to-weight ratio is the reason that I have seen one of these cars do 0-60 in 3.4 seconds!

3. ya come on man its a cool ride
    <!-- Signature -->

4. This seems to be the most basic model they have listed. I think thier best selling one uses a 1.8 litre Rover VVC engine which generates about 150bhp. 0-60 in around 5 seconds. They do make the Caterham blackbird as well through which uses a superbike engine, and is much faster.

For real power though look to Westfield. Same design of car, but they make the SEight which uses a 3.9 litre V8, and the megabusa (which is on Supercars.net) which is very fast indeed. I'm biased though cos I drive one (with a piddly 1.8 litre 155bhp).

5. Actually, Caterham makes much faster Sevens. The superlight R is currently their top model and can be equipped with a 2.0L engine that puts out over 230 HP. The car weighs just over 1000 lbs and has 230 HP. You do the math.

6. POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO.
    This car does not even need seats to mak it cool with only 510kg. In some test (namly EVO car of the year) they run rings around a 911.

7. Sweet car<!-- Signature -->

8. Plus this car handles like no other. It is exactly what performance is great handling and great acceleration ( with the right engine). IF you can do without any creature comforts, this is a cheap way to get wicked performance. Also the superbike engines are perfect, the lack of torque doent make a difference in a light car. Also all those engines rev to the moon, which is quite fun to do, and those six speed sequentials are fun too.

9. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from imprezawrx14</i>
    <b>Why make a classic -resembleming car and not give it any poweR?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

why not?<!-- Signature -->

10. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Omsirut</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from imprezawrx14</i>
    <b>Why make a classic -resembleming car and not give it any poweR?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

why not?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

yeah it's a weird car<!-- Signature -->

11. This car is sweet! I think C&D built one of these things a couple of years ago for about $20K and noted it's just about the best car you can have fun with on a track. Building it up from a kit allowed them to drive it legally on the street too. I don't think a Caterham Superlight R500 is street legal in the States; but you'd probably kill just about anything on the track with one of those. $40K, last time I heard.

12. this car beats viperss and ferraris on track<!-- Signature -->

13. These cars are unstopable in amateur road racing. I saw one beat a TRACK ONLY NSX with RACING SUSPENSION and a 430 BHP SUPERCHARGER. Not to mention a C4 Vette with about $90K in it. These things are like a a road going formula car (minus ground effects.) This car is the best road racer for under $200K. Go to an SCCA meet and you'll know what I'm talking about.<!-- Signature -->

14. #14 700bhpcaterham, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    This certainly aint stupid. This is one of the most focussed and affordable sports cars on the roads. this is one of the best cars ever made, what other sports cars do you know that havn't been redesigned in 40 years of production. The car was designed by Colin Chapman, what more do you want. Engines available range from the tiny(But still hugely powerful) to something a bit bigger(but insanely powerful). The information given is a little out of date, so I think it should be updated with more pics as well.

http://www.caterham.co.uk/

GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THESE, with a bike engine, 6 speed sequential gearbox, and in ford racing Blue

15. Doesn't the newest Super 7 have the 2 liter engine like the Altezza/IS200? Just curious. I think they run mid 12s in the 1/4 mile, though such a car shouldn't be limited to drag racing. I want one!<!-- Signature -->

16. Caterham is one of the best handling cars ever bilt, so i like it<!-- Signature -->

17. Actually Caterham offers a 230bhp model which can do 0-60mph in 3.4 seconds. So there.

18. Yes, 230hp. Very nice. I don't like the motorcycle engine though. I think they should stay in motorcycles. Good thing Caterham doesn't offer one. The Ford Zetec 4-bangers are more powerful too.<!-- Signature -->

19. It has more bhp/per kg than an impreza (by the way the impreza ls uglier than my fat auntie) and definitely beats his as on road and track.

Moge uw stront tot leven komen en u kussen

20. This is a cool car, but as it used to be the Lotus 7 20 years ago it was always going to be good.<!-- Signature -->

21. -t-a.com/it/latest_news/eta_current/de<!-- Signature -->

22. Personally, I prefer the Caterham Superlight R, to the R500. 175 horse in a much lighter body...hee hee hee. Disturbing little cars, if I had the money, trust me, it would be in my garage!

23. you don't need that much money. Granted you can't get a caterham that cheap (due to the badge mroe than anything), but you can pick up a second hand Locost, Tiger, Westfield, etc for about £4000 ish. You'll still get a car that does 0-60 in about 5secs and handles like a dream. <!-- Signature -->

24. This is the gayest #$%#ing car in the world that has ever been made and don't bother saying anything to me cuz im never coming back to this forum again.

25. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!