Re: supra vs rx7

Discussion in '2000 Mazda RX-7 Type RZ' started by supra smoker69, Aug 9, 2002.

1. supra vs rx7

which car would win in a race

2. stock there wouldn't be much in it. Tuned a rotor would kill it.

3. you don't get much better than a rotary engine....stock a rx7 would win...unless its a TT....but idunno

4. In A Stock Race The Rx7 will win Bacause the weight Ratios.
    Its a good match though both have same hp stock but its all on the driver.

Got Rotary ¿?<!-- Signature -->

5. The supra of course. You guys are kidding me if you look at the Engine- it says its a Twin Turbo Double rotary with 276hp thats nothing it could be a stock supra that has a inline 6 with 220 but it couldn't beat a STOCK TURBO that comes with 320HP. And second this is in a 5 speed you have to watch out for the 6 speed manual supras. Don't think i am dissing the rx-7 i like i was about to buy one but the supras are much better. But the rx-7 is lighter. Maybe i shouldn't talk about the twin turbos on the supra because thats just mean, No i think i will say it with a twin turbo and supra can have up to 1000hp(seen at nopi). Now if everything was stock on the rx-7 and supra then it would be a good battle. It would up to the drivers, which ever redlines and shifts faster will win.

"Your funny civics, take moms car back home."

6. ahh you do know this rotor is twin turboed don't you? And its been proven that their not as efficient as a single turbo job. 320hp is roughly 230kw, so 20 or so more than the RX7. But it also weighs another 300kilos its no light weight.

7. The sequential system is just there to improve turbo lag. Big difference when fitting a T04.

8. the rx7 would win because of the weight difference and i like the rx7 better

9. Skyline boasts remarkable handling yet, it doesn't have good handling. All that talk about 4 wheel steering, is nothing but hype for some guy with a deep pocket to shell out the 80,000 to buy one of them. so much talk about skyline this and skyline that, the RX-7 holds most of the records. Bottom line, as long as the RX7 has a rotary engine in it, every other car is at a major dis-advantage. The RX8 is 255 HP, naturally aspirated...imagine the potential that car has once you put turbos on. And after that theres 3 rotor and even 4 rotor rotary engines... If you understand the workings of the Rotary engine you'll see quite quickly why every over piston driven car is climbing up shit's creek.

All the skylines that people are talking about are 1000HP, any car with 1000Hp will do 200 miles per hour, that's garbage. ohhh, but skylines can do 8 second quater miles...big deal, Rx7s are doin low 7's all the time and many of them aren't even 1000HP.

10. Yea i know that. But the supra is heavier like i said, but you have the give the supra all the credit. Rx-7 are great too but wouldn't you rather have a supra i have heard from my machinics that the rx-7 is known for motor blowing up and very bad backing fireing.

11. nah i'd prefure the rotor i used to own one and a mate had a series 4 with a worked series 5 motor by knightsport in japan. Another bloke at work's got a highly modified RX3 that ran a 10.5 pass with no nos and low boost, he just got it dynoed at 401rwhp at 21psi. Supra's are nice and all, but rotor's are cheaper to tune, and a series 6 in australia with a 20b is the fastest street registered car in the country it ran a 7.88 a couple weeks ago.

But i just love the power band of rotary engines they rev forever.

12. Suprafan The Rx7 engine Only wieghs 305 pounds.
    So if you do any wieght reduction it will be like racing a fether on wheels.<!-- Signature -->

13. Stock? It would be an interesting race. Although if both drivers were experienced, I'd have to go with the Rx-7.. weight difference<!-- Signature -->

14. If there was 2 really good drivers racing stock / stock
    The rx7 will win<!-- Signature -->

15. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Suprafan21</i>
    <b>The supra of course. You guys are kidding me if you look at the Engine- it says its a Twin Turbo Double rotary with 276hp thats nothing it could be a stock supra that has a inline 6 with 220 but it couldn't beat a STOCK TURBO that comes with 320HP. And second this is in a 5 speed you have to watch out for the 6 speed manual supras. Don't think i am dissing the rx-7 i like i was about to buy one but the supras are much better. But the rx-7 is lighter. Maybe i shouldn't talk about the twin turbos on the supra because thats just mean, No i think i will say it with a twin turbo and supra can have up to 1000hp(seen at nopi). Now if everything was stock on the rx-7 and supra then it would be a good battle. It would up to the drivers, which ever redlines and shifts faster will win.

"Your funny civics, take moms car back home."</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

yea the supra has more power but u forgettin the RX is 600 pounds lighter which makes a huge difference in acceleration of course, not to mention in handling and braking

there are 1000hp supras but also 700hp RX's that are just as fast

stock for stock, this RX-7 would beat a supra. modified would depend on how their modified obviously, but they both got the potential to become 9-second street cars (if you got lots of money)

in the drag world, i think the fastest stock-bodied and suspension Supra is the 8.9 second MVP supra, but there are lots of 7-second drag RX-7's.

16. oK... dUDE YOU GOT THE RX-7 BEATING THE SUPRA RIGHT
    bUT A SUPRA IS NOT 600 POUNDS HEAVYER THEN A REX iTS LITTL HEAVER BUT NOT TO MUCH tHE MUSTANG is 600 POUNDS HEAVYER.<!-- Signature -->

17. RX-7's are a little under 2800lbs., Supras almost 3400

so almost 600 pounds heavier, sue me for estimating

18. no its ok<!-- Signature -->

19. they would Tie.... or be very close if any thing the supra would win
    :p

20. When you guys are talking about HP all I keep seeing is 276 which is the L.E. RZ RX-7. Put a normal RX-7 against a TT Supra and I would bank on the Supra. I forgot the HP for a normal RX-7 but if you work out the power to weight ratio (I did it Weight/Power) the Supra comes out at 10 something lbs. per HP while the RX-7 comes out at 11 something ( I used the numbers off of MSN's Carpoint for my calculations) and I forgot who said it but I've also heard that the Rotary crap out under high boost a lot easier than a normal engine.

21. Ok
    <!-- Signature -->

22. this is no competition like i said before the rx7 is better. i even emailed the head of to4.com one of the leading SUPRA sites online which is hte club in which supras ranging from 500 hp-1100 hp supra ppl are part of. the supra suffers on the road from weight basically in racing versions they actually use a 2.2 liter inline four to push the weight toward the center for better weight distrubution. also the rx7 is capable of more hp because less moving parts are involved in a rotary engine. less parts = less friction = less power wasted

23. argh ignorance plagues this string. sorry i had to post again look at import drag racing. fastest import is abel ibarra and he drives a what ...an Rx-7. also the pro-street class (modified street legal monsters) easily run 9's and even high 8's. they dominate this area of competition. the reason rotary engines frequently break is because people hae no idea how to take care of the engines. HOW MANY OF YOU KNOW HOW IT EVEN WORKS. this being said the rx7 is a superior race car and actually handles boost very well. look at peter farrell's race cars 555 hp @ 9 psi of boost from a . 900 hp~1000 hp @20 psi. and this car still isn't flly modified!!!! 1000 hp supras frequently use 25psi to 30 psi. see the difference?

24. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from blaze4eva</i>
    <b>argh ignorance plagues this string. sorry i had to post again look at import drag racing. fastest import is abel ibarra and he drives a what ...an Rx-7. also the pro-street class (modified street legal monsters) easily run 9's and even high 8's. they dominate this area of competition. the reason rotary engines frequently break is because people hae no idea how to take care of the engines. HOW MANY OF YOU KNOW HOW IT EVEN WORKS. this being said the rx7 is a superior race car and actually handles boost very well. look at peter farrell's race cars 555 hp @ 9 psi of boost from a . 900 hp~1000 hp @20 psi. and this car still isn't flly modified!!!! 1000 hp supras frequently use 25psi to 30 psi. see the difference?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

exactly right i agree totally, and yeah they ditch the six out of the supra and use a tuned version out of the MR2 from memory. I couldn't believe it when i first saw it thought it was crazy. But seriously, the 180 odd kw RX runs mid 13 passes all day long day in day out.

25. Wow. OK, stock they are roughly the same speed but supras are often faster in comparisons (scanned below). <!-- Signature -->