Re: Twin-Turbo C5 Vette vs. Supra Turbo

Discussion in '2000 Lingenfelter 650 Corvette' started by amard123, Aug 9, 2002.

1. "A lingenfelter isnt a standard car... neither is a turboed supra pumpin out 800hp you #$%#in idiot, that is why i brought that up...
    " where did i ever say it was!
    and again i ask u to read carefully.
    i didnt say that americans never used to use turbos, which is why america is known for its muscle cars. now its not just japtuners like u are kind of implementing that use turbos they come straight out the factory with em.

2. what are you trying to say by this then, "firstly lingenfelter not a standard car so dunno y u brought that up." if a turboed supra isnt either then why would you say that?

alright well i dont feel like arguing anymore about this stuff but if you wanna bs about stuff then that would be cool later

3. stupid answer think and gives proofs before talking.

4. what the hell r u on? and wht does it prove apart from me not wanting to argue

5. i was just kidding ya

6. funny, i thought the first turbocharged car was the 1970 BMW Turbo concept, the first turbocharged production car - 1973 BMW 2002, first turbocharged racing car - 1972 Porsche 917/10K, first turbocharged F1 car - 1977 Renault

are u sure ur not confusing it with the supercharger? invented by Roots, an american in the early 1900s?

also, anybody who says all japanese cars suck should b banned from sc.net, likewise anybody who says all american cars suck - im not gonna get in2 any of this racist crap, but merely say that skylines r unquestionably good cars, likewise Vettes...if u want a truely shit car, go 2 some 3rd world hole like India

7. "if u want a truely shit car, go 2 some 3rd world hole like India "

hahaha

8. are you talkin to me about the turbos and the superchargers?

9. sorry, it was on my friends name, are you talkin to me about the turbochargers?

10. #36 67chevelle, Oct 21, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    because if you are talking to me then you are wrong... The 1962 Oldsmobile jetfire engine, an all aluminum 215ci v-8 was the first production car to utilize a turbocharger (The turbo was a Garrett TO-3 with an integral wastegate, but because of the high compression ratio, boost was limited to only 5 psi)... this engine was used in 62 and 63 cutlasses, heres the website if you dont believe me http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofjet.htm

11. 67Chevelle427 - yup, you're right...i wasnt stating fact in my post, merely what i thought was true

the '62-63 turbo engines on that site are impressive, im British so i dont know as much about these cars as most american car fans do, obviously since theyve never been sold over here

12. Re: Re:

are we in Japan? And anyway a brand new skyline in japan retails for about 45-50 grand, around the price of a Z06 (in America), which is faster... so as for you and your jap cars shitting on American cars in value you are wrong.. and if jap cars are so great, when are you gonna find me a grinder that can beat this thing for its price?... well you wont, so im gonna save you the time and just tell you to give up now... and if you want to talk about value in general about american vs jap cars... why dont you find me a 725bhp grinder that can be driven every day reliably, runs low 9's, and costs under 100 grand (and yes im talking about a brand new car and professional installation of the products being included in the price)

And as for the rx7's i think they do look hella cool, so do 300zx's but i would take a firehawk, yes a firehawk, not even a vette, over either of them anyday for one reason, the hawk outperforms both cars, and it costs 33grand with every option available, (i should know, my best friend has one with every option)

13. #39 Scooby and TVR man, Oct 26, 2002
    Re: Re:

get out man a brand new tomy kaira r, A 550ish bhp R34 skyline with modded suspension and brakes and aero work costs less to buy from them than 50k, i live in england and it would be cheaper for me to buy that than to buy a new one here! stock!

" as for you and your jap cars shitting on American cars in value you are wrong"
    how about a nissan pulsar GTIR. you can get them second hand (cos they dont make em anymore) for under 8k with 300bhp -sub 5 sec 0-60 great handlingand practicality.

"if you want to talk about value in general about american vs jap cars... why dont you find me a 725bhp grinder that can be driven every day reliably, runs low 9's, and costs under 100 grand "

in the uk we have a bloke calls himself rocket ronnie has an R33 skyline with around 650bhp and that ran 0-500metre in 10.26so its a 9 sec quarter car it went from a standing start to 209.4mph in 1.25miles on road tyres! and has cost well under 100k and that was a very professional job by abbey motorsports http://9e.net/mg/jp21.jpg
    the bit that says the result was his skyline with the standard transmission, he now has a 6 speed sequential which is why it is quicker.
    and as for reliability he drives it everday the car has done over 60,000miles and that includes over 10,000@600+bhp

and what are the performance figures for the firehawk?

14. #40 67chevelle, Oct 27, 2002
    "get out man a brand new tomy kaira r, A 550ish bhp R34 skyline with modded suspension and brakes and aero work costs less to buy from them than 50k, i live in england and it would be cheaper for me to buy that than to buy a new one here! stock!"

-congragulations, but guess what that still doesnt change the price in Japan for an r34 skyline, which is around 45 grand
    "In California, the pricetag for a GTR is $89 500, while in Japan, the price is around $45 000."- http://gtr-skyline.com/

"how about a nissan pulsar GTIR. you can get them second hand (cos they dont make em anymore) for under 8k with 300bhp -sub 5 sec 0-60 great handlingand practicality."

-Why would you compare used cars, they are all hella cheaper then new cars... how about i go get my used 335hp 93' firehawk runnin a 4.9 0-60 and 13.5 quarter, for around 6 grand...

"in the uk we have a bloke calls himself rocket ronnie has an R33 skyline with around 650bhp and that ran 0-500metre in 10.26so its a 9 sec quarter car it went from a standing start to 209.4mph in 1.25miles on road tyres! and has cost well under 100k and that was a very professional job by abbey motorsports... and as for reliability he drives it everday the car has done over 60,000miles and that includes over 10,000@600+bhp"

- That is impressive, but what was the actual price of the car, the mods, and the installation?
    - it wouldnt make that much of a difference if it wasnt on road tires because its all wheel drive...(and yes i would like to see more American cars go to AWD before you say something about AWD being better then RWD haha, i for the most part agree except the extra wieght it adds)
    - So your telling me he has drivin a race ready car for over 10,000 miles with no problems at all? sorry but thats kinda hard for me to believe (because of the boost they have to use to get that much hp)
    - Either way that skyline sounds like it is very fast, but how many of these skylines are there? Does Abbey motorsports make a kit for it
    like Lingenfelter does?

The firehawk stats are:
    0-60 - 4.9
    1/4 - 13.3
    hp - 345
    torque - 360

(not completely positive tho, they took the stats off firehawk.org, so its all off memory but the only number im not really sure about is the 0-60 but it is right around there it might be .2 secs slower or faster)

15. "- So your telling me he has drivin a race ready car for over 10,000 miles with no problems at all? sorry but thats kinda hard for me to believe (because of the boost they have to use to get that much hp)
    - Either way that skyline sounds like it is very fast, but how many of these skylines are there? Does Abbey motorsports make a kit for it
    like Lingenfelter does?"

yeah they have set upgrades but will do you a custom one if u want and the car only cost £25,000 and the mods and intall no more than £30,000 over here it costs ver £40,000 just to buy a second hand vette

"because of the boost they have to use to get that much hp"

it only runs 1.8 bar! for 650+bhp!

16. 1.8bar is 26psi

17. just answering the guys question

18. You people are idiots. Sure the Supra Turbo can beat the C5 running no super high octane gas. Lingenfelter builds streetable cars. Though the Supra might be "street legal", I assure you it won't run on pump gas.

Since when are the Japs known for handling? I'll admit they build some nice cars, but to say in stock for that they can outhandle a C5 is ludicrous. Has anyone EVER seen a Japanese car compared to the Corvette??? There's a reason you haven't.....because there's absolutely no point. The Vette wins hands down against cars like the Supra and RX-7.

19. pump gas in america must be really shit quality if a modified Supra wont run on it, in Britain its either 95-octane, or 97 if u pay a little extra

20. Hmm...the suprastore site says the 427TT was on full race drag slicks. That's not true.

Yes, the *PEAK* numbers are nice. Very good for the Supra. But good god, look at the lag. I wouldn't want this kind of power and torque curve for regular street driving, nor would it be beneficial on a road course.
    It's very good, though, if you plan on staying at *PEAK* levels during most of your driving.

21. the 427TT in motortrend most certainly WAS on drag slicks (if thats what you're talking about)

obviously not 17in wide top-fuel slicks, but drag slicks none-the-less, just like the ZL1 Camaro was when it cheated its way to the 1/4 in 9.55s

22. They are not drag slicks.

Mickey Thompson ET Streets
    1) are not full slicks
    2) have the minimum amount of tread required by federal law
    3) are approved/certified for street use by the Department of Transportation

Can you deny any of this? Can anyone correctly make the claim that 800+ hp Supras routinely pull 9-second quarter miles on their stock, OEM tires?

23. if a supra etc wont run on pump gas its already broken.

since when are the japs known for handling, since they started producing good cars, with stock suspension and tyres a Subaru Sti , Skyline R34, R33 mitsi evo 4,5,6 and a nissan pulsar gtir will all pull corners over 1g something a viper or vette wont do.

"Has anyone EVER seen a Japanese car compared to the Corvette??? There's a reason you haven't.....because there's absolutely no point. The Vette wins hands down against cars like the Supra and RX-7."
    well when a vette cost over twice as much as a stock RX-7 or Supra u should expect the bloody thing to win!