Re: Weak for a Ferrari

Discussion in '1969 Dino 246 GT' started by DelRey, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Dino had a hand in designing the engine and the car, therefore Enzo decided to place his name on it, as an honor and out of respect for the input that Dino gave.

2. The cars looks doesn't suits to a ferrari.<!-- Signature -->

3. god, you people are stupid. Enzo's son originally made the engine, and gave the basic lines for the car. I think it looks very much like a ferrari.

It's true, some of the info is wrong, so here goes. the engine was transplanted to the lancia stratos, then upgraded for max power.
    Dino did pass on, so enzo gave the design to Fiat, and then they built it. It was basically the top of the Fiat line, only because it was co- produced by ferrari.
    It was mighty load, so a radio would be useless, unless you listened to it while the engine was off (it would be better that way, cause the engine sounds great) true, a VW corrado SLC (yes, that again)could beat it off the line, but the dino would still win due to a higher top speed. I bet if you gear this thing properly, it'll go waaaaaaay faster.
    the performance, however, was great for it's time. this dino could beat the corvette of that same year, basically due to the weight. and I wouldn't bother attempting to race it on a track. this'd win.

hope this shed's some light on the subject. Ciao!

4. Please dont. You have no clue of what you are talking about. Underpowered? Ok first of all this is a car that was made in 1969, i doubt many cars had better performance figures than this in the late 60s or even the eraly 70s. Secondly 0-60 is better than most v6 powered sedans. Even now I really dont see any car reaching the 150 mph mark except the top european saloons. Third, this car has even better bhp/liter than some of the current technology driven supercars. The weight is spectacular for a 60s car, under 1200kg. Not even the upcoming Ferrari f60 is gonna be that light.

5. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from OzyF1</i>
    <b>Please dont. You have no clue of what you are talking about. Underpowered? Ok first of all this is a car that was made in 1969, i doubt many cars had better performance figures than this in the late 60s or even the eraly 70s. Secondly 0-60 is better than most v6 powered sedans. Even now I really dont see any car reaching the 150 mph mark except the top european saloons. Third, this car has even better bhp/liter than some of the current technology driven supercars. The weight is spectacular for a 60s car, under 1200kg. Not even the upcoming Ferrari f60 is gonna be that light.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->There were some fast Ferraris in the 60's.<!-- Signature -->

6. Weak for a Ferrari

It is under powered. Why did Ferrari even bothered w/ it.<!-- Signature -->

7. Not every car is designed for utter speed or acceleration. If you judged all cars by this idiotic standard everything would be "weak" compared to an F1 car or some rocket powered sled out on the Salt Flats. It doesn't need to be a dragster to be a supercar. Is t too much to ask that people that post here look beyond the numbers and try to figure out why a car like the Dino is included on this forum. It truly is a "supercar" in terms of aesthetics and balance.

8. First off, it is NOT a Dino Ferrari, it is a freakin' Dino. And if any of you know the history behind the car and the Ferrari/Fiat cars.... Anyway, it is a great car, with a "Fiat" engine. Find me another car with this performance and i will sell my soul to you... Actually, there where a few cars that could match this perfomance that where made during the sixties...
    Later....

9. Just to clarify, not all Dino's had V6's. The Dino 308GT4 had a V8, the predecessor to the one found in the Ferrrari 308GTS, etc. As for being a "Fiat" engine, while some parts were 'off the shelf', this engine was far more simliar to some of the V6 race cars Ferrari campaigned in the mid 60's. Much of the engine was designed by Alfredino "Dino" Ferrari, Enzo's son. As for being underpowered, this car posts some serious numbers regardless. Furthermore, this exact engine, supplied by Ferrari to Lancia for use in the Stratos dominated rally racing until Audi showed up with awd sports cars.

10. Rmemeber the numbers this car was produced in-they were much larger then any previous Ferrari's. They had to build a whole new wing on to the plant just to handle the production. This car really helped Ferrari to become recognized as a permanent force in the car world, not just a niche manufacturer. Unfortunately. Dino had passed away long before the car was produced, as it was produced in his memory.<!-- Signature -->

11. Ehm... Enzo made this car not as a Ferrari, but as a Dino because it was his son's nickname. the reason for that is that his son died and Enzo wanted to give him something that would make him immortal, to name a Ferrari. thus, his son could not have designed this vehicle.

as for you RLQ, you're a stupid mother#$%#er and I hope I'll never meet you in person.<!-- Signature -->

12. "weak for a ferrari" Your crazy!! This is a tube frame chassis mid engine car. It handles suberbly, more balanced than the 308/328. The v6 simply sounds beutiful!!! I doubt you will ever drive a car in your entire life that is balanced as this. And by the way, pictures do no justice for this car. In person, it is drop dead beautiful, it is almost out of this world, like a cartoon. The body curves are wayyy more vuloptious in person. Oh, and if you didn't notice the styling set the tone for many other prancing horses for years to come. Enzo's son Dino even helped with the styling!(Which I'm sure made papppa Enzo very proud.) I would take this car over ANY Porsche!! (thats personal.)
    Also the sound of this engine gives you tingles. So no offense RLQ, supercar guru, you are not.
    I agree with what BobbyBrown and OzyF1 said. And as far as "there were fast Ferraris in the 60s" they were heavier v12, front engined cars, not as satisfing in the curves as this car. Name one other car from any other marque that was mid-engine v6 during that era. (there are a few, can you name them?) hint... maserati, nowhere near as beautiful.
    Also lancia stratos, which used the same engine as this Ferrari. The Fiat Dino, also used this Ferrari v6 engine, but in the front.

13. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from swedishsaabman</i>
    <b>Ehm... Enzo made this car not as a Ferrari, but as a Dino because it was his son's nickname. the reason for that is that his son died and Enzo wanted to give him something that would make him immortal, to name a Ferrari.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Actually, before he died, Dino told Enzo what he wanted this car to be like, based on research that he did himself. Enzo used his ideas to build the car in his memory.

14. The Dino was a fast car by late-60s, early-70s standards, and was Ferrari's base model...actually, it was not technically badged as a Ferrari. It was never meant to run with a Daytona, but it also costed a heck of a lot less. I think it is a gorgeous car, and it is a true classic today.<!-- Signature -->

15. Did you read the intro?? This is a DINO Ferrari, named after Enzo Ferrari's son. All DINO Ferrari's had V6's, This was not supposed to be a screaming fast car. It obviously won't be as fast as many other Ferrari's for the day but it was a lot less expensive than those others. It is more a sentimental line of cars for Enzo for remberance of his son.

16. <!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from RLQ</i>
    <b>It is under powered. Why did Ferrari even bothered w/ it.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

who said every Ferrari must be ultra fast? and btw 7.5 up to 60 mph "1969" is very very good<!-- Signature -->

17. Some people post the stupidist things, And just when you think the posted the stupidist thing the post sumthing stupider. Some people onthat post are just plain ignorant, like the person that said this uses a fiat engine. If only tese people could read, then they would discover that it says this was the only year it was made "without a fiat engine " . This car is incredible if you consider that a 69 vettes weight is in the 3500+ lb range.People need to see past numbers. When people think of a formula one car the thing super fast
    super fast? Alan Prosts 1991 word champion ferrari does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. Kinda slow for a 700+hp beast made of carbon fibre that weighs less than 2k lbs.that means the heavyer and less powerfull f50
    runs the same time 0-60 why? Is it because the formula 1 engine has virtualy no low end power and wont idle. Its thing like that that people need to think about numbers arnt everything.

18. let me remind you, mr. supercar messiah that not EVERY Ferrari has to go 200MPH+...this is a Dino, named after Enzo's deceased son, and was designed by Fiat, thus it is not a true Ferrari cept for its heart...I don't think a single Ferrari badge can be found on it, as well, they all say Dino on them...why did Ferrari bother with this? because of Dino Ferrari, and because the Dino ended up being a very beautiful car and a true classic...the Ferrari's of the 60's were fast, but not all of them had to have a V12 or whatever...the Dino is awesome.

19. Yes. It does lack in power, but overall a decent Ferrari. The looks are good no offense.