SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

Discussion in '2003 Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG' started by zamo, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

Trust me boddy, get the SL55 and u'll pray for me. try to get a tist drive, u'll never think about something else.
    if u can pay more why don't u get the Mercedes SLR ???
    think about it, the SLR is something amazing, there is no word to discribe but amazing

i wanna a SLR :'(<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

arent u forgetting that the SL55 is not out for anther year or so and when it does eventully come out it will have a waiting list longer than my arm! besides the porsche has the repore of sucess and riches so ill go with the porsche just to keep the boy inside of me happy, or buy the GT2!

3. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

Mine's scheduled to arrive by the end of Sept. 2002 and I obviously can't wait. I ordered mine very early too. If you ordered now, your wait will be 'til about Christmas time 2003! If you choose the Benz, good luck getting on the waiting list... be patient. MB will get you on eventually. I was actually pestering my dealer about ordering one, before they officially unvieled it. It's a hot one to get.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

Well, you'll need about 10 hours to buy a Porsche once you're done choosing from their 10,000 options. The SL55 is tight, but those wheels are butt-ugly.

It looks like you're screwed either way. *LOL* To minimum the damage to your psyche, I'd go with the SL55. If you want a real sports car, get a 360 Modena.

And for those idiots who said Ferraris aren't reliable, they simply haven't own one recently. The 355's and 360's are some of the most reliable cars out there.

5. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from luting</i>
    <b>I'm getting a new car, but i don't know which to choose from...
    Should I get the SL55? or the Turbo?
    it's really frustrating me...since the level of performance are about the same, and so as their prices...SL provides more comfort, where on the other hand, Turbo has all the fun a driver may request...and the sound...

Help~~~~~~~</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

you said the same thing in the porsche turbo
    <!-- Signature -->

6. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from V12</i>
    <b>Well I would probably take the SL55 AMG. That's one of the most beautiful cars I've seen in a while. It's luxury, speed, comfort and style in one packet. QUOTE -->

SPEED???? it only goes 155mph!!!<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

Little update, I had a chance to sit in a 911 Turbo sense my last post and I can say that it is not lacking in the way of driver comodities. The leather is great and the feel of the wheel is comfortable. I like the way they work the head unit and it's easy to work the disc changer. The one I was in even had an automatic sun roof, but it was a solid color and not tinted glass (bumber). Unfortunately the guy that owed the car was not willing to allow a 17 year old take it for a drive, even with my dad there too (another bumber). So in either case the level of comfort is excellent, though I would rank a Merc above a Porsche 9 times out of ten in the way of creature features.

So until 2003 when the car comes out and people can actualy get in them I'll never know.

Buko out<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

sl55 amg

9. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

sl55 amg is luxury
    turbo is a drivers car

10. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

TURBO IS FASTER
    SL55AMG IS MORE LUXURY

11. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

u cant compare the 2
    sl55amg is better

12. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

You guys just keep talkin' about the SL 55 AMG, Porsche 996 Turbo and Ferrari Modena 360. I think you are forgetting the BMW Z8, the car that also had the style and performance to compete with these cars. And I personally find the Z8 even more stylish than the SL 55 AMG.

13. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

I personally don't think that z8 can compete with either 360 or turbo. I admit that it's stylish, but the performance is just way off topic. It's quite slow compared to turbo, and the maximum speed is not even high enough, unless you mod the chip.

14. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from viperownerwannabe</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from V12</i>
    <b>Well I would probably take the SL55 AMG. That's one of the most beautiful cars I've seen in a while. It's luxury, speed, comfort and style in one packet. QUOTE -->

SPEED???? it only goes 155mph!!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->It has an electric limiter and that's why the top speed is limited to 250 km/h. Mercedes is offering a version that is limited to 300 km/h. If you take the limiter away totally, the car goes 325 km/h.

Oh, and one more reason to take the SL55. It accelerates faster from 0-300 km/h than a Murciélago or GT2, so it would leave the Turbo in the dust.<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

Yup, that's true V12... Or if the 476HP just isn't enough, you can't contact Brabus.... they should be able to give you about 250hp without changing the turbochargers, but it'll cost you...

16. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

why not get the SL55 and custom order a manual tranny...heh.

17. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

These cars are of different caterogries. Yes, i know, the performance figures of both cars are quite close, the Benz, from my point of view, is still a luxury car.

Benz for the luxury and the superb ride quality.

Porsche for sheer performance. Just look at how many compeitions it has won. Every review i've read about the car, its recieved a 4 1/2 to 5 star rating.

18. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

i would take the 996 Turbo for sure!!<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: SL55? or Porsche 996 Turbo?

It's true that a non limited topspeed is available on the SL. I've also heard it would go to 300kph easily.
    I'd take the SL, cuz the SLs are legendary cars. The model appeared before the 911. But the 996 Turbo is a great car. I saw one last week in grey; very pretty and damn fast !<!-- Signature -->