SMG

Discussion in '2006 BMW M6' started by Govna, Dec 17, 2004.

1. The Seven-speed SMG (personally programmable)gearbox is fantastic.
    next step is to include a "Double Clutch" like on the new GTI.
    can you imagine??

2. No SMG is ghey if you dont offer a manual. BMW used to know how to do it right, like only offering the M5 with a sitck. Now they are pussies.

3. Give me a regular manual any day over that SMG paddle crap. Same with Ferrari. When I order my Ferrari (in the distant future), you can bet your ass that I'm going to be ordering it with a manual gearbox.

4. Quicker gear change with the paddle shift. Though I guess we have some purists who still would prefer the stick.

5. yeah, i'm always torn between the two, i love paddle shifters for certain reasons, espessially living in seattle, cuz the clutch start hills can be a bit terrible. But I mean of course a manual is the purist way to go. I guess that's why manufacturers like ferrari and other purist manufacturers still offer both. I love the technology of the SMG, and of course a regular 6 speed in the M6 would be wonderful as well.

6. no you won't, the only reason Ferrari did that was because "the car is TOO fast"

7. the only reason ferrari put the smg is A: because they (rightfully) refuse to put an auto, and B: the SMG was faster and better for track driving.

8. They should make a 7spd manual. It would be strange at first, but I think people would get used to it.
    1 3 5 7
    2 4 6 R

9. It's too expensive and complicated to be put into a high-production automobile. You'll see seven gears in F1 but not in anything on the road for quite some time.

10. Has anyone driven the DSG gearbox that's in the new GTI? It's absolutely fantastic! It shifts WAY faster than I could ever do with a stick. These paddle-shifted autos I don't know about...

11. I think it is a travesty that the new M5 and M6 do not offer a manual transmission...

12. I think it is a travesty that the new M5 and M6 do not offer a manual transmission...

13. A double-cluch is always an advantage on a high performance car, but I personally think that the SMG is as far as BMW needs to go with the sporty trend... An automatic is enough for this car, and even the manual is getting risque if you ask me -- BMW is juggling too many roles for their automobiles. 500+ bhp?! That's just unnecessary, for vanity.

14. A double-cluch is always an advantage on a high performance car, but I personally think that the SMG is as far as BMW needs to go with the sporty trend... An automatic is enough for this car, and even the manual is getting risque if you ask me -- BMW is juggling too many roles for their automobiles. 500+ bhp?! That's just unnecessary, for vanity.

15. A double-cluch is always an advantage on a high performance car, but I personally think that the SMG is as far as BMW needs to go with the sporty trend... An automatic is enough for this car, and even the manual is getting risque if you ask me -- BMW is juggling too many roles for their automobiles. 500+ bhp?! That's just unnecessary, for vanity.

16. A double-cluch is always an advantage on a high performance car, but I personally think that the SMG is as far as BMW needs to go with the sporty trend... An automatic is enough for this car, and even the manual is getting risque if you ask me -- BMW is juggling too many roles for their automobiles. 500+ bhp?! That's just unnecessary, for vanity.

17. A double-cluch is always an advantage on a high performance car, but I personally think that the SMG is as far as BMW needs to go with the sporty trend... An automatic is enough for this car, and even the manual is getting risque if you ask me -- BMW is juggling too many roles for their automobiles. 500+ bhp?! That's just unnecessary, for vanity.

18. I totally agree, that was what made the previous generation M5 special. I really don't like how every one of these new cars have all the electronic gizmos and doo-dads on them, it spoils the fun.

Thank God for Ferrari, they have the sense to actually build exelent automated manuals, and actually have traction control and whatnot that can be fully dis-engaged.

If BMW had some serious balls, they would stick a monster engine in the Z4, take out all the electric nannys, and sell it as a serious street racer...That would make my day, and redeem BMW as a serious sporting manufactuer.

19. I totally agree, that was what made the previous generation M5 special. I really don't like how every one of these new cars have all the electronic gizmos and doodads on them, it spoils the fun.

Thank God for Ferrari, they have the sense to actually build excellent automated manuals, and actually have traction control and whatnot that can be fully disengaged.

If BMW had some serious balls, they would stick a monster engine in the Z4, take out all the electric nannies, and sell it as a serious street racer...That would make my day, and redeem BMW as a serious sporting manufacturer.

20. The only major flaw I find in anyone's arguments about making these cars, with this, and those cars with that, (ex. Z4 with monster engine and no electric nannies) is that BMW wants to sell cars. BMW is a company that wants to compete, make money, etc. The majority of BMW buyers do not wish for a Z4 with a rediculous engine and no traction control etc. People that buy BMW cars are looking for a BMW, not a non-street legal track car.

21. The only major flaw I find in anyone's arguments about making these cars, with this, and those cars with that, (ex. Z4 with monster engine and no electric nannies) is that BMW wants to sell cars. BMW is a company that wants to compete, make money, etc. The majority of BMW buyers do not wish for a Z4 with a rediculous engine and no traction control etc. People that buy BMW cars are looking for a BMW, not a non-street legal track car.

22. I love my auto transmission. One of the reasons I haven't lost a race in 3 years is due to the automatic shifting. Manuals just dont shift fast enough.

23. I love my auto transmission. One of the reasons I haven't lost a race in 3 years is due to the automatic shifting. Manuals just dont shift fast enough.

24. I love my auto transmission. One of the reasons I haven't lost a race in 3 years is due to the automatic shifting. Manuals just dont shift fast enough.

25. I personally like my automatic. Automatics, when prepped correctly, can outshift a manual any day of the week. A big part of why I havent lost a race in over 3 years is because of my automatic.