So i'm thinking about learning to play the guitar

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RIDDIK, Jan 27, 2013.

1. I've always wanted to be able to play an instrument and I'd like to learn guitar and/or piano. Since a piano is a bit outside my means right now I think I might go for a guitar. Can anyone recommend some good starter guitars? I don't plan on taking classes or anything as I don't really have the time right now, I just plan on teaching myself via winging it/youtube videos/etc. Any good advice is appreciated.

2. go to Guitar Center or somewhere and play a bunch until you find one that's comfortable

3. ya, guitar stores have guitars
    find one that's comfortable/affordable and buy that
    also, find someone who can play to hang out with

4. It seems like you're set on guitar. But if you wanted to also learn piano, just buy a keyboard from craigslist for like $30.

5. according to thom yorke anyone can play guitar

6. First of all, how is a piano out of your means? Where do you live?

Pianos are cheap or often free, and it's far better for you to learn it than a guitar. Once you learn the piano, guitar will come very easily, as will any other instrument.

7. Just sing, like me

8. Resist the urge to buy an acoustic just because it wiuld save you buying an amp and other accessories. Easier to learn the fingerings on an electric because the action isn't so high and stiff and you won't put it down so quickly from fatigue.

9. I'm not an expert but how much do you want to spend? Electric or acoustic, what kind of music, etc etc? Also, get guitar pro.

10. I learned on a bastard of an acoustic with gnarly action and I didn't realize it but I always used heavy gauge strings. After I transitioned to electric (which is all I currently have) it was so much easier. It was a pain yeah, but I stuck with it and developed callouses pretty quickly so it worked out. That said there are lots of acoustics and 3/4 size ones that won't be so hard.

What do you want to play anyways, so I can give some suggestions. No matter what you start on though, learn basic chords and learn about standard tuning, how to change strings. That kinda shit is all essential to playing.

11. Don't listen to these guitar [email protected], they're gay. Unless you're going to learn to play virtuoso Spanish guitar, forget the instrument entirely.

Dumb!

12. -the most interesting man in the world

13. Just buy Guitar Hero.

14. for real, I'm totally srsly

who cares if another douche can play a swift 3-chord bomba... big deal, welcome to nirvana 19 years ago

get a life!

if you're gonna play a guitar, make the #%[email protected] sing to you

15. #16 V8stangman, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016

16. #17 MooSquad, Jan 30, 2013
    here's a little instruction video

17. #18 Big Rob, Jan 30, 2013

18. #20 DownwardSpiral, Jan 30, 2013

19. #21 Wheelman, Jan 30, 2013
    all that distorted fast playing sounds like some soundtrack of blips and beeps on an 80's video game console.

20. for real though, what city do you live in?

21. I'm stationed in Washington right now but I'll be going on deployment soon so a piano wouldn't do me much good. As it'd be my first instrument I don't wanna spend too much, nothing flashy just something basic I could learn to play on.

22. #24 Wheelman, Jan 30, 2013
  23. #25 The Niggar King, Jan 30, 2013