substance? facts?

Discussion in '1988 Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette' started by bob777, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

damn straight

2. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

Just one was ordered, fork over $400,000 and you can get one.

Whats with this 1100 HP nissan, that has nothing to do with this, almost like me saying it could be beaten by a 5 sec Chevy.

3. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

248 not 284 MORON! Get your facts straight.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

Cars R My Life, your a complete loser. Fist of all, you need to learn how to type. Second, in case you didn't notice, it says the Sledgehammer goes 254.7 mph, in case you dont know basic math, thats 14 mph faster than a McLaren's top speed.

5. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

it is true, too<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

I think this forum calculates math...... it showed the true answer to what I wrote and erased the rest.

7. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

Just to clarify things up a bit, McLaren is slower than this car, that's true but not by 14 mph. It's slower by 37 mph. McLaren can't actually go 240 mph. It's highest ever recorded speed on a test course was actually 217 mph. Now i know you're all gonna get mad at me and shit but before you say anything, you should first check out the McLaren F1 forum and read Scotti Ducatti's posts about the McLaren's top speed. He's got a convincing arguement and lots of proof to back it up.

8. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

Koenig... your an idiot for several reasons...

1) The cars you stated aren't road legal... yes, they can go faster, but they aren't "supercars", those are the standard specs

2) Your numbers are off horribly

3) You obviously don't have a life, realizing that your insults are extremely old.

If I'm gonna believe any kinds of numbers... I want proof from valid, well-known sources.

P.S. - Road and Track is a great magazine.

9. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

in case anyone noticed, this isn't a production car either... they only made one, they could've made more, but they didn't... so pretty much any car, production or otherwise, could compete. Just go see the lotec sirius entry in the highest hp(1334), and check the stats... 284mph... and if u can't do math, thats 30mph FASTER than this thing. Just get your info right b4 u go and ***** anc complain like huge babies, on a SUPERCAR site... and whoever said that the term supercar was fro cars that were modified, should go suck himself, bcuz this isn't modified, niether is the Sirius... come to think of it, not many cars on this site r modified... get it right, or dont say a thing<!-- Signature -->

10. This isn't the fastest car!

I have read and seen many faster cars than this. At a car auto show in La Quinta in 2000, i first saw the Nissan R390GT1 which was said to be capable of 256 mph, slightly faster than this shit. Also, there is the Suzuki Pikes Peak which can go past 256 as well. The modified Venturi Atlantique 600 LM can go nearly 261 mph and last but not least, the toyota GT-ONE, the worlds fastest road car can go 274 mph.

The car was tested in Oakland, cali in 1998 when it hit 274.31 mph.

So you see, not the fastest car.

11. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

I have read and seen many faster cars than this. At a car auto show in La Quinta in 2000, i first saw the Nissan R390GT1 which was said to be capable of 256 mph, slightly faster than this shit. Also, there is the Suzuki Pikes Peak which can go past 256 as well. The modified Venturi Atlantique 600 LM can go nearly 261 mph and last but not least, the toyota GT-ONE, the worlds fastest road car can go 274 mph.

So you see, not the fastest car.

Where did you get your information? seriously? first of all the Nissn R390 GT1 was tested by Road & Track October 1999 and here are Nissans numbers for the car.

0-30 - 1.2
    0-60 - 3.9
    0-80 - 6.0

1/4 mile - 11.9
    and a top speed 200 mph NOT 256 mph and to my knowlege only one R390 GT1 was made. so this isnt a production car and its not as fast as the Sledgehammer.
    and also you said a Suzuki Pikes peak can do 256 mph as well, i mean thats just a dumb statement considering Pikes peak is a hill climb and it has no straights over a 1/4 mile long ,never mind enough space to do 256 mph and trust me if its a Pikes Peak car its set up for " The Hill " which means the gearing isnt set for maximum speed.
    and Rod Millen is quoted as saying he just touches 130 mph in his Pikes Peak Toyota Tacoma. so what need does a Pikes peak car have for a top speed of 256 mph? NONE !!!
    and the Venturi Atlantique 600 LM can go nearly 261 mph ? where is this information comming from? there are only 2 Venturi's listed on this site and neither can do over 200 mph, and i never heard of heard of this model anywhere.
    and finally the Toyota GT1 who you said did 274.31 mph., where did you get this information from? the fastest the Toyota GT1 race car did was about 220 mph on the mulsanne sriaght at LeMans. so if your going to bad mouth this car come armmed with facts not heresay and wishfull thinking and plus you may want to list your sources.

So you see, this is the fastest car.

12. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

you played gt3 too much because the gtone is not a street car it is a race car so think next time and stop playing video games

13. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

Yo hummer #$%#er, i didn't say race or street car, i said CAR, you blind #$%#. A car has four wheels and it moves, get it?? Dumb retard. By the way, you mention the car is in GT3 and you say that i play it too much. Strange, you're the one who knows this yet you claim that i play too much of it. How does that work? Seems to me like you're the nerd with the video game knowledge. Hit the books junior and look up car, it'll give a clear definition. Then afterwards, look up the word idiot, and you'll most likely see your picture in there.

14. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

"I have read and seen many faster cars than this. At a car auto show in La Quinta in 2000, i first saw the Nissan R390GT1 which was said to be capable of 256 mph, slightly faster than this shit. Also, there is the Suzuki Pikes Peak which can go past 256 as well. The modified Venturi Atlantique 600 LM can go nearly 261 mph and last but not least, the toyota GT-ONE, the worlds fastest road car can go 274 mph.

So you see, not the fastest car."

Are you sure thats Miles per hour instead of Kilometers per hourno car is capable of those kinds of speeds

15. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

yea um to u all id jus like u to kno that the mclaren f1 is and will still be for a long time the worlds fastest car...and yes because i kno ur a proof freak i have proof..how bout..while in london i went to a show room wit the last mclaren not sold and i bought there book...in the book it show that the mclaren does 240 mph...which...hope ur listening is the fastest a street legal car hs ever been...so u guys and ur um freak times and crap need to go weep under the mclarens power...o and dont go and give me some garbage from road and track...there not too accurate either if uv ever read the stats in the back...have a nice day

16. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

dude the toyota sucks , if it so good howcome it won only one race.
    BUT the porsche 1998 GT-1 was also made as a street car and the won the le-mans race in the category all of the times it was raced

17. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

240mph

18. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

Isn't it funny how deepangel tells everyone to get their info right before coming in and complaining? Well deepangel, i got some news for you. You've contradicted yourself in a big way buddy. Because you see, your Lotec Sirius doesnt go 284 mph like you said. If you go to check out the cars info, you'll actually see that it can only go 248.5 mph! Whose the huge baby now? Man that must be humiliating.

19. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

The stats on this page shouldn't be taken for granted either.
    Half of the cars in their TOP SPEED List are some kinds of prototypes that are likely not to have driven at all.
    E.G. The Bugatti Veyron Concept from whatever year is stated with something like 405 kph. I doubt that this prototype has ever proofed that. Or that Renault thing, this mini Van, if this car has gone the speed they claim I will stop loving automobiles.

20. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

you the last time i check that if some one was going to claim that this was a supper car it had to have a production run of at least a hundred this is a one off never to be made again and that is just bogus. this car shouldn't even be on this web site for that specific reason. and to be considered the fastes is also a joke nissan has a 1100 horsepower drag car that is capable of doing the 1/4 mile in under 7 seconds.

21. #21 Cerbie, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: This isn't the fastest car!

Fastest Car in the world: Thrust SSC at 763.1mph
    Fastest piston engine car: Speed-O-Motive/Spirit of '76 at 432mph
    Fastest Concept Car: Oldsmobile Aerotech long tail 278mph
    Current Fastest Concept Road Car: Vector Avtech WX-3 249mph
    Current Fastest Production Road Car: McLaren 240mph (Volkswagen's Ehra-Lessien high-speed test track in April 1998)

I said current on the last two because the Bugatti looks like it will take both of them if they are ever able to run it.

but the bottom line is that the only place where top speed is useful at all is on a 5 mile oval, or in the case of the first 2, out on a salt flat or black rock desert.

Sure this car is fast. So what? theres only one of them. It probably gets badly unstable at 220-230.

If you want cool cars go look at whats winning on the track.

And if you want to know more about the problems of getting a road car to go really fast, read this:

http://www.fantasycars.com/2/Special_Reports/Is_the_McLaren_F1_untouchable_/is_the_mclaren_f1_untouchable_.html

<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

yeah, this american twin turbo v8 is the fastest car. it was production. Callaway said, "400,000 will buy you one of these" car and driver oct, 1989. And as far as supercars go read the above!<!-- Signature -->

23. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

Production means you produce and sell them. Just because you say you can produce them does not make them production.

McLaren sold 100 of the F1. They are also stock.
    Callaway did not sell one of these. Therefore not a production or stock.<!-- Signature -->

24. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

Production means you produce and sell them. Just because you say you can produce them does not make them production.

McLaren sold 100 of the F1. They are also stock.
    Callaway did not sell one of these. Therefore not a production or stock.

Callaway sold the one and only Slegdehammer for $400,000 and the cars in Germany , they did say they could build another for develpoment costs hence the $400,000 and it was a production 1988 Callaway Corvette chassis number 51.
    Second Mclaren F1s CAN NOT do 240 mph seeing they come with a factory rev limiter of 7500 rpms and the car that was tested was NOT 1 of the 100 customer Mclaren F1s , it was the preproduction XP5 and it did 240.1 mph with the rev-limiter removed the speed was reached at 8500 rpms , the best a one of the 64 Mclaren F1 road cars did was 217.7 mph driven by Mario Andretti.

25. Re: This isn't the fastest car!

This car is really fast, but i think that the acceleration from 0-60 could have used some improvement. Not too shabby though.