The I-6 vs V-8 powerplant

Discussion in '1994 BMW M5' started by ReeK, Oct 25, 2002.

1. I'm not disputing that the New M5 is awesome, I just prefer this version with the straight-6.

2. Re: The I-6 vs V-8 powerplant

me too but i would take any M5.

3. Re: The I-6 vs V-8 powerplant

i've driven a bmw v-8 and i-6. I prefer the i-6, there is no better engine as far as i'm concerned regardless of the displacement it comes in. I'm sure the new m5 v8 is fantastic, but I can't imagine it being as smooth as the i6. Inline sixes are the most balanced powerplant on the planet.

4. Re: The I-6 vs V-8 powerplant

Gotta love the i6, but there is a point where you need the extra torque of the v8. This is close to it. Soon after that you need the extra torque of the v8. Both this engine and the new m5 engine are amazing pieces of machinery, though. I like having the i6 with the m3 and the v8 with the m5.

5. Re: The I-6 vs V-8 powerplant

Dude, shut it.

6. Re: The I-6 vs V-8 powerplant

power aint everything sure the v8 gives more torque but for daily driving i'd go for the Inline 6 or even a inline 4

7. Re: The I-6 vs V-8 powerplant

dude, stop being an asshole

8. Re: The I-6 vs V-8 powerplant

what year was the transition from I-6 to V-8 on the M5?

9. Re: The I-6 vs V-8 powerplant

started with the E39 M5. Late 1998 in europe and came over to the US in 2000-2003.

10. Re: The I-6 vs V-8 powerplant

Both engines are awesome... this one is especially impressive given when it was made. The current V8 is definitely one of the better engines the world has seen, but then again, so is the I6. Not sure that it's fair to compare the two directly.

11. An M5 is an M5.You can give me the e28 one I'd be happy with that.